How to Stop an Elderly from Feeding Pets

Status
Not open for further replies.

linannabelle

Sep 4, 2007
I have a problem that I have been facing for quite some time now. My dog have been hospitalized once having viral infection and was put on a drip. She's very healthy and hyper now but the main issue is my bf's mom has been feeding her human food when I am not around. The maid told the mom the consequences of the dog eating those, she just smiled and continued feeding.

This has happened a few times already. Was away on a trip for the past few days, and my dog ballooned when I saw her. Asked the maid what happen and realised that my bf's mom has been feeding her curry and spicy chips. I was so angry last night and I thought of putting her at groomers' place over the weekend and tell the mom that the dog is in hospital due to all the food poisoning with the x-ray that found undigested curry and chips. See what she has got to say.

What can I do?

rather than the maid telling her it's not ok, perhaps you can tell her instead. it might have more credibility coming from the owner of the dog. there's only so much the maid can do.

Old people very hard to change their thinking.

To them, showing love is feeding and feeding.

To her, you're asking her not to love that adorable little dog and to be cruel to it be not feeding tasty stuff, and no amount of information ... not even the vets talking to them may change their mind-sets. They have very highly developed senses of selective hearing and denial.

Try to re-locate the dog as soon as possible. Why is it not in your care, if I could ask, since it's your dog, and you mentioned that it has happened a few times already?

Stick the medical bill on the wall and a picture of the sick pet. That should help remind them. Also, talk to them showing them the bill. It is not the money that matters, but the health of the animal at stake. They would compare how their parents dog live that way, but remind them that those dogs did not live long. Besides, they are street dogs and had grown up with human wastes.

However, the pet would have love human food by now. You have more than one obstacle to begin with.

Old people very hard to change their thinking.

Yeah... tell me about it.

My grandma tells me eating oily/fatty meat is good for health as it helps to lubricate your arteries so that your blood flows better :sweat:

Maybe you can give her a more concrete 'analogy' by serving her a plate of dog food and asking her to think about what her health will be like after a week - to illustrate that humans v dogs have different requirements - not the same.

Last edited:
Yeah... tell me about it. My grandma tells me eating oily/fatty meat is good for health as it helps to lubricate your arteries so that your blood flows better :sweat:

your grandma is :thumbsup:

must be an engineer last time...

Fats=Grease, Oils=Lubricants, Tendons=Teflon Coating :bsmilie:

your grandma is :thumbsup:

must be an engineer last time...

Fats=Grease, Oils=Lubricants, Tendons=Teflon Coating :bsmilie:

How about exhaust gases?

To TS, have you explicitly shown your BF's mom the dog food that was to be fed to your dog? Try to remind her, put the food in a prominent place.

Last edited:
Maybe u can try to feed her with dog food......... hehehe....... then she will understands. :bsmilie:

Wow! Your dog can eat curry? :eek:

Isn't it more useful if you or your bf (or both together) talk to his mom and explain to her clearly that she is putting your dog at risk if she continues doing what she does? Hopefully she can understand and you can still get to keep the dog at home. What use is having a dog if you have to put it in the groomer's place?

OT : On feeding animals, tell the same to the people who go to the nature reserves and feeding the monkeys. Explaining to them doesn't help, and even with the threat of fines, they still do it anyway. ;p

Wow! Your dog can eat curry? :eek:

Isn't it more useful if you or your bf (or both together) talk to his mom and explain to her clearly that she is putting your dog at risk if she continues doing what she does? Hopefully she can understand and you can still get to keep the dog at home. What use is having a dog if you have to put it in the groomer's place?

OT : On feeding animals, tell the same to the people who go to the nature reserves and feeding the monkeys. Explaining to them doesn't help, and even with the threat of fines, they still do it anyway. ;p

Sinkapolean rich, fine will not work. Should punish them by putting them in the forest.... then ask them to fend for themselves.... then when they find it impossible, then tell them "This is what will happen to the monkeys if u continue to feed them........"

either CS is that good, or people sometimes are just..............................................
:dunno:

my 1st pet terrapin pass away partly due to him being picky in his food and also cause my mom feed him all kinds of stuff, potato chips, banana, durian, rice, meat balls, pork ribs, chicken meat, grapes...and so on, these are only just a few i can remember.

my sis and i was up till 2am in the morning till he draw his last breath. :cry:

so moral of the story is don't anyhow feed.
since you have no idea what will happen to the pets in the future.

now my other 2 terrapins eat only turtle pellets only, no more funny stuff from my mom.

Last edited:
Let me play devil's advocate for a moment.

Eh,...... You b/f's mom? As in your dog IN your b/f's mother's house? As in you staying IN your b/f's mother's house with the dog? As in not married yet but cohabitating?

Could it be there are other reason's for her doing that to your dog? The dog is just a pawn to a more disturbing reason for it? I am progressive enough to know that I have no problem having a g/f stay with me and my mother was fine with it but my late-dad... Well it all looked fine on the front but in the back...he was not happy with that..being not married and all and this is demostrated in the way he acts around her.

I see no reason in her not being able to see that normal food stuff human eat can be dangerous to the dog ( since you did mentioned she was told about it's hospitalisation) but more a situation of doing this to get you to go back to your OWN home with YOUR parents and keep yourself and dog there? Worth exploring this reason since you mentioned the maid told her and you did not directly? Communication problem? Sometime people do the damnest thing instead of coming and be direct about it and talk about it that they would resort to all kinds of things. If that be the case and you love your pet, you need to trash this out and maybe for the time being move back home....unless you are a PR in SIngapore then the situation just got more complicated. Just a thot since you did not mentioned how healthy is your relationship with his family.

I have seen cruelty to animals and in more then just the usual form. Overfeeding might not be due to love for it but a means to get it unfit to kill it even. It can be hard to believe but not all cruelty are usually apparent at first glance and if it is a means to get your attention to something...harming an animal in some people's mind is not difference then banging a table till it breaks to make a point to you. That is just how bad some humans are.

Last edited:
i always wonder, we always say old ppl is like that, next time we grow old also like 'that'...

but strange is, if we had been thru 'that' how come we never realise not to be like 'that'?

Last edited:
To answer all queries, I have been living in with my bf and his family for 2 years plus already. Everything was fine, the mom loved me, loved the dog etc. But the main problem is she has a certain level of ego and dignity that no one can say her. We have tried talking to her face to face, and she just kept quiet. She will stop a while and then the whole thing starts all over again.
Because of this, I have been quarreling with my bf for quite a few times. Spoken to my dog's groomer, will be placing her there this weekend would rather spend the money for her to be there over the weekends and let her run away then to let her be home and be fed chips, curry, pudding, rice, and even ribena.
Told my bf that if anything were to happen to her once again, I am not willing to pay a single cent if she gets admitted to hospital again.
The previous time my heart ache so much when she puked the whole night, and she could'nt even stand up to walk but she poo-ed blood all night long.
Luckily we managed to save her in time if not she's gone. I was crying every night rushed over to the hospital to visit her during lunch time and after work till visiting hours are over.

Status
Not open for further replies.