How to start freelance work

Status
Not open for further replies.

focusHeart

Apr 12, 2008
Hi

I'm new to photography. I have nikon D40 with the kit lens. I'm interested to start freelancing..but don't know where to begin....cos everywhere or almost everywhere people want to see a portfolio...

I would appreciate if anyone can share with me how they started their freelancing and how should i go about creating my portfolio...thanks in advance.... :p

Hi

I'm new to photography. I have nikon D40 with the kit lens. I'm interested to start freelancing..but don't know where to begin....cos everywhere or almost everywhere people want to see a portfolio...

I would appreciate if anyone can share with me how they started their freelancing and how should i go about creating my portfolio...thanks in advance.... :p

Showcase your previous collection somewhere in the web.
Volunteer yourself for nominal fee.
Network...

D40 camera to me its bottom grade camera I do not think it will be good enough to do "freelance" work I own a Nikon D60 twin lens camera and all tho it takes great pics. there is better gear out there but as for putting a portfolio together it will not hurt to do this i have put together one with a normal digital camera not a DSLR and gained work from this.

So in a nut shell YES put together a Portfolio but I all so think u need a better camera but i am not a pro just a newbie as well (my next camera will be Canon EOS 5D Mark II its 21.5Mp)
this will set me back $6000.00 AUD (Australian) with out the lens.

Good luck Buddie
P.s. how many Mega pixel is your D40? (The D60 is 10.2)

before you go create a portfolio, ask yourself first,

why wounld people want to hire you?

what can you offer them?

if you can't answer these, you have no direction to go, don't know what people want from you, how to create a portfolio?

Last edited:
Hey same scenario D40 with kit lens only but got a CPL ....better than you haha (jkjk) still studying so no income.I plan nice nice liao.End of year long holiday go do event coverage for charity organisations for free.In the mean time ,you can save up and buy a better lens that is good for events or photojournalism.Im getting the 35mm f1.8 and 50mm f1.8.From the charity events build up your portfolio and do good deed :D and maybe get connection for paid events.
To dinobones FYI D60 has the same sensor and body as a d40 except for the megapixels....
and you are actually changing camps....all your lenses cannot be used oon the 5d mark II (lose money) and from a entry level camera to a full frame???DUDE...wait till you see the dials
GD luck mate....
To focusheart gd luck finding job :D

Hi

Pls do not view this as offensive but seriously...

why would you think you are good enough to do freelance?
Just because you have a DSLR?

just take this as a hobby and enjoy photography lah. Theres too many of us running around here making a fool of ourselves.

Regards

Hi

you are in wrong category: go here and ask question -> http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=95

but dun say you noob in photography or else you will kana bashed and asked to come here and for goat sake dont ask what is F stop there.

D40 camera to me its bottom grade camera I do not think it will be good enough to do "freelance" work I own a Nikon D60 twin lens camera and all tho it takes great pics. there is better gear out there but as for putting a portfolio together it will not hurt to do this i have put together one with a normal digital camera not a DSLR and gained work from this.

So in a nut shell YES put together a Portfolio but I all so think u need a better camera but i am not a pro just a newbie as well (my next camera will be Canon EOS 5D Mark II its 21.5Mp)

Good luck Buddie

Dude... your comments here sound damn arrogant man... if u wanna compare cams and all there are others who use even better entry level DSLR then u do, so the TS is using a D40 so what? u D60 damn great ah? Then how about those using D80 or even D90?? Does that make them better photographers?? I have seen photogs who use D700 and take crap pics.

It's not so much about the equipment, it's about you as a photog in general and how you envision your pictures to be.

To thread starter, i think one of the other members mentioned doing volunteering n networking. yes that is a good way to get started. If u r schling then volunteer to take pics during yr school events for your newsletter or so. From here, post your photos on the web like flickr or multiply and that becomes your portfolio. Oh and i think you mean part time photography and not freelance... there IS a diff though alot think it's the same... i also thought so in the beginning. Try community centres too... they are always on the look out for volunteers! hahaha good luck!!!

PS. To Dinobones don't be too quick to put down other ppl's cameras.. our cams are dear to us and it ain't nice to compare that way. You were so quick to say D40 is a "bottom grade" cam but you don't even know how many megapixels there are... well u wanna compare?? here u go http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/compare_post.asp?method=sidebyside&cameras=nikon_d40%2Cnikon_d60&show=all

oh and D60 only got 4 1/4 stars compared to D40 that got 4 1/2 so does that mean your D60 is lousier then a "bottom grade cam"??? :nono:

Hi

since u mentioned you're new, i think you're taking a step too far by thinking of freelancing already. if you were a restaurant owner, would you hire a chef who has never or seldom cooked before? even if u know he has the passion and good attitude, the most you would do is to take him in to learn from a more experienced chef, giving almost no or minimum allowance.

give yourself some time. and as a beginner, im sure there are still many technicalities of photography you're unsure of. or even worse still there are still some functions on your cam u don't know how to use. so can you really picture yourself on a paid freelance job figuring out the functions of your cam in front of your client, or worse still, realising all your shots are not up to standard only when you download them to your computer? how you gonna answer that?

slow and steady man ...

Good luck Buddie

i would disagree with you on many counts. who said you can't freelance with a lower end camera (by the way i would think twice about calling them botton grade). if you know your limitations with your equipment, you could acknowledge that with your client, and settle for a cheaper price etc. if everyone were to use the higher end cameras for freelance, whose gonna cater to those clients with lesser expectations and tighter budgets?

and don't mind me asking, but why are u focusing so much on megal pixels? if you're gonna compare the D60 or 5DMKII as a better cam than the D40, i don't think MP is the main thing u should be talking about, unless you yourself are still stuck in the MP-war myth. if so, don't mislead others into that direction. and please don't say you emphasized on MP because of portfolio because i dont think you would need the 21.5MP to print a banner size portfolio like the supersize billboard :p

Eh dun wanna get involved in the above erm "friendly discussions".

Ok, my advice to you would be to start out as a photographer assistant.

If no lobang, start out as even an event helper. Then network abit with those full time photographers covering those events. Talk to them abt your interest in photography and that u intend to go into free-lance. Don't worry about them viewing u as potential competitors. More than often, especially for event coverage, they will usually require more than one photographer.

Ask if they mind that u assist them during their next event. Even if its for FOC. Assisting them you might not get to shoot, but u will learn many other things in the proccess. From setting up lightings and backdrop to observing how the photographer interacts with the people he's shooting. More than often, especially portrait shots, how the photo turns out depends alot on how well the photographer is able to bring out the emotions(expressions) of the subject. And these are essential skills of any good event photographers.

Remember, if u got nothing to offer to your clients, they got nothing to offer to you either.

Good luck Buddie
well, judging from you what you said, looks like making money from photography is very simple and rather easy, all you need is just have an awesome camera.

and I like what you said at the end, very typical, "my camera is better than yours". .... :bsmilie: :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

Oh dears . blind leading the blind :confused:

Showcase your previous collection somewhere in the web.
Volunteer yourself for nominal fee.
Network...

Hey thanks for your comment...so in the end i do have to create an online portfolio...:p

Hey same scenario D40 with kit lens only but got a CPL ....better than you haha (jkjk) still studying so no income.I plan nice nice liao.End of year long holiday go do event coverage for charity organisations for free.In the mean time ,you can save up and buy a better lens that is good for events or photojournalism.Im getting the 35mm f1.8 and 50mm f1.8.From the charity events build up your portfolio and do good deed :D and maybe get connection for paid events.
To dinobones FYI D60 has the same sensor and body as a d40 except for the megapixels....
and you are actually changing camps....all your lenses cannot be used oon the 5d mark II (lose money) and from a entry level camera to a full frame???DUDE...wait till you see the dials
GD luck mate....
To focusheart gd luck finding job :D

hey thanks man...i might just do that...i'm also planning to get the 50 mm f1.8..although i know it can't autofocus on my camera...manual then...haha... :p

Pls do not view this as offensive but seriously...

why would you think you are good enough to do freelance?
Just because you have a DSLR?

just take this as a hobby and enjoy photography lah. Theres too many of us running around here making a fool of ourselves.

Regards

Hi... maybe i'm wrong to say that i want to do freelance...maybe i should put it as part time..not that i have DSLR but because i love photography and want to earn some cash for my pocket money... :p

Dude... your comments here sound damn arrogant man... if u wanna compare cams and all there are others who use even better entry level DSLR then u do, so the TS is using a D40 so what? u D60 damn great ah? Then how about those using D80 or even D90?? Does that make them better photographers?? I have seen photogs who use D700 and take crap pics.

It's not so much about the equipment, it's about you as a photog in general and how you envision your pictures to be.

To thread starter, i think one of the other members mentioned doing volunteering n networking. yes that is a good way to get started. If u r schling then volunteer to take pics during yr school events for your newsletter or so. From here, post your photos on the web like flickr or multiply and that becomes your portfolio. Oh and i think you mean part time photography and not freelance... there IS a diff though alot think it's the same... i also thought so in the beginning. Try community centres too... they are always on the look out for volunteers! hahaha good luck!!!

PS. To Dinobones don't be too quick to put down other ppl's cameras.. our cams are dear to us and it ain't nice to compare that way. You were so quick to say D40 is a "bottom grade" cam but you don't even know how many megapixels there are... well u wanna compare?? here u go http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/compare_post.asp?method=sidebyside&cameras=nikon_d40%2Cnikon_d60&show=all

oh and D60 only got 4 1/4 stars compared to D40 that got 4 1/2 so does that mean your D60 is lousier then a "bottom grade cam"??? :nono:

Hey thanks for your ideas like doing volunteering for events...and thanks for pointing out to me that there is a difference in part time and freelancing...thanks :p

since u mentioned you're new, i think you're taking a step too far by thinking of freelancing already. if you were a restaurant owner, would you hire a chef who has never or seldom cooked before? even if u know he has the passion and good attitude, the most you would do is to take him in to learn from a more experienced chef, giving almost no or minimum allowance.

give yourself some time. and as a beginner, im sure there are still many technicalities of photography you're unsure of. or even worse still there are still some functions on your cam u don't know how to use. so can you really picture yourself on a paid freelance job figuring out the functions of your cam in front of your client, or worse still, realising all your shots are not up to standard only when you download them to your computer? how you gonna answer that?

slow and steady man ...

i see...i'm not new as in i just bought the camera...I can say i'm new in terms of not having done any types of freelancing/part time... i do know the functions...but not at pro level...i've read quite a number of books on photography...so i would like to venture out.. :p

It is not just about photography, but business skills are required to suceed.
Your not going to be given a step by step guide on how to be a successful freelance photographer. Do something about it yourself. Make some mistakes, learn from them. Otherwise your not going to get anywhere being spoon fed.

Eh dun wanna get involved in the above erm "friendly discussions".

Ok, my advice to you would be to start out as a photographer assistant.

If no lobang, start out as even an event helper. Then network abit with those full time photographers covering those events. Talk to them abt your interest in photography and that u intend to go into free-lance. Don't worry about them viewing u as potential competitors. More than often, especially for event coverage, they will usually require more than one photographer.

Ask if they mind that u assist them during their next event. Even if its for FOC. Assisting them you might not get to shoot, but u will learn many other things in the proccess. From setting up lightings and backdrop to observing how the photographer interacts with the people he's shooting. More than often, especially portrait shots, how the photo turns out depends alot on how well the photographer is able to bring out the emotions(expressions) of the subject. And these are essential skills of any good event photographers.

Remember, if u got nothing to offer to your clients, they got nothing to offer to you either.

thanks for sharing...you're right i can learn something but volunteering my service... :p

Status
Not open for further replies.