How to start doing freelance wedding photography/ videos?

bobbobbob

Aug 7, 2013
Pasir Ris
Hi all, so I've been doing videography and film editing for fun for a few years now. Even studied it a bit in school and during internship.
Would like to try to take it one step further and maybe even make some money from it.

So need some advice from the old timers.

How would someone with no connections in the industry, begin to do freelance wedding videos/ photography on their own?

Anyone? If anyone needs a camera 2 handler for their wedding shoots I would be happy to help out as well :)

Design a fancy name card. Do a little touting at ROM, Cold call wedding planners, bridal salons, or advertise via church noticeboards or Google adwords. Set a ridiculously low price. Hire a professional videographer/ editor at market rate to deliver a kickass product and absorb the loss if you are not confident. Learn fast and build a strong portfolio. Fake it till you make it!

Last edited:
Well, if u don't have a portfolio, it will be a hard start and hard to fake.

What you could do is tap on some other film/photo company as a camera assistant or 3rd cam op with assistant or no pay just to get yourself familiar with the event and the cinematographer role before getting yourself into the key role and start getting $ out of it.

Second option is to work with some wedding planners, photographers, or crash a wedding that hires only photographers with no video. Then offer to make a video with no charges since you don't have a portfolio. Get some friends who are looking to freelance like you, you'll need some help with additional camera angles and coverage. Film, edit and make a wedding highlight. This would make into an additional "gift" on top of the photos that photographers are giving. Best to do this for your friends or relatives wedding, provided they didn't plan on getting a video in the first place. Otherwise, you'll have to match up with their expectations. So do this for the first 2-3 weddings, so that you can use those videos as a portfolio. Then start getting $ for the next wedding onwards.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Be careful about what you wish for...:bsmilie: