How to solve blurring probs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Darkhorse

Dec 11, 2003
Visit site
I use a Canon A70 and its a pretty decent camera just that I'm trying to figure out how to solve blurring probs. :dunno:

I like to use the programme mode without flash cos sometimes the flash overexposes? the pics

Thing is with the flash on, shutter is automatically set at 1/60 which is good cos even if the subjects move a little, the pics taken do not blur and are sharp but sometimes overexposed.

But when i turn off the flash (which i prefer), the shutter is automatically slower and subjects end up easily blurred. :think:

I tried using the TV mode (shutter priority) setting it at 1/60 or so but the pics end up underexposed.

I tried the manual mode to set shutter priority and aperture but the pics are still under exposed.

I figure that my prob is just that I do not know how to configure the settings, any suggestions on what mode to use and what settings to set? I have this prob mostly taking indoor shots.

Tks! :)

U can try increase yor ISO to ISO400.
Will have more noise, but your shutter speed should be faster.

If it doesn't work, U can try to use flash again, with 1/60. Then when U take the pic, if it's overexposed, set to manual mode, change the shutter to a faster speed, maintaining the aperature value.

The blurring is caused (as you have found out yourself) by the slow shutter speeds without flash.

If you intend to shoot without flash, then you need to make sure that the following conditions are met :-

1. The subject(s) are in adequate light to enable you to set shutter speeds high enough to avoid blurring - how high is high enough? Speeding Ferrari maybe needs 1/500s, speeding snail maybe only need 1/5s - highly subject/movement dependant.

2. If there isn't enough light eg. indoors, shade; then you need to increase the ISO sensitivity of the camera (in film parlance, change to a higher speed film, in digital parlance, just twist that ISO dial to a higher number). For example, if you find that ISO200 indoors only give you 1/30s shutterspeed, then changing ISO to 400 or 800 will give your 1/60s and 1/125s respectively. BUT, bear in mind that the noise characteristics will also increase - you will then have to balance potential blur vs potential noisy photo.

As for the flash overexposing the pics, the reason may be that you are too close to the subject or the subject is too small against a dark background. If you are too close, the flash may not have enough time to switch off the light output; and if the subject is small against a dark background, the flash may be trying to send out a higher output to compensate thus overexposing your subject.

AReality said:
U can try increase yor ISO to ISO400.
Will have more noise, but your shutter speed should be faster.

If it doesn't work, U can try to use flash again, with 1/60. Then when U take the pic, if it's overexposed, set to manual mode, change the shutter to a faster speed, maintaining the aperature value.

Alternatively, you can set the flash to -1/3 stop on the A70 if it tends to overexpose. That way, you'd still get the "fill-in" of the flash without lowering the shutter speed.

vince said:
Alternatively, you can set the flash to -1/3 stop on the A70 if it tends to overexpose. That way, you'd still get the "fill-in" of the flash without lowering the shutter speed.

The flash on the A70 has FEC & TTL ?
Hmmm... Dunno...

Darkhorse said:
I tried using the TV mode (shutter priority) setting it at 1/60 or so but the pics end up underexposed.

I tried the manual mode to set shutter priority and aperture but the pics are still under exposed.

I figure that my prob is just that I do not know how to configure the settings, any suggestions on what mode to use and what settings to set? I have this prob mostly taking indoor shots.

Tks! :)
To fix this, you have to understand exposure basics.

Going back to my previous post, given adequate light, you will have several choices for exposure.

For example, for a well-lit scene, the correct exposure can be achieved at the following settings :-
1/125s @ f/5.6
1/60s @ f/8
1/30s @ f/11
1/250s @ f/4
1/500s @ f/2.8

All the above are correct exposure values for the same lighting conditions.

But (hypothetically speaking) if you are trying to take the same scene at the following settings:-
1/125s @ f/8; or
1/60s @ f/11
then the resulting image will be 1-stop underexposed as there isn't enough light reaching the sensor.

So, I am guessing that given that the A70 apertures aren't exactly very large, setting 1/60s indoors is hitting the maximum aperture and that is causing your pictures to be undereposed in Tv and Manual modes.

Darkhorse said:
I like to use the programme mode without flash cos sometimes the flash overexposes? the pics

Thing is with the flash on, shutter is automatically set at 1/60 which is good cos even if the subjects move a little, the pics taken do not blur and are sharp but sometimes overexposed.

Question: What do you mean by your shots are overexposed? What I mean is describe your "overexposed" shots.

Tks guys, looks like I have a lot to learn about having the right balance of shutter speed and aperture. Will go fiddle around some more. :)

Darren - tks, will go try out the different combi ;)

Vince - even setting 1/3 flash still causes the pics to be 'overexposed' sometimes. :think:

Coke21 - by overexposed, I mean the pics taken looks washed out? Too bright? while background is too dark. This is taken indoors during daytime, sometimes under florecence(spelling?) lights. Pics are not an accurate representation of what the scene looks like. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.