How to soften edges when using layers?

torak

Sep 4, 2009
Hi everyone,

I just tried my hands on photoshop (noob here), and have been reading some tutorials online.

Basically i tried to create more DOF for my portrait photos.

So, as per what Ive read, I opened up my photo as background, duplicate a copy, and used polygonal lasso to go around my subject. Then I select inverse and delete, so that everything except my subject is deleted.

Then I go to the background image and apply blur filter.

However I noticed that the edges of my subject and the background blur is very very obvious. Stark contrast of blur and sharp.

Is there anyway I could do to blend the edges of the sharp subject with the blur background image better?

Thanks

you mean LESS dof, not more.

you can't do it with a polygonal tool, magnetic lasso or not.

you need to touch up with a soft, small brush.

even then, it won't always work. only in certain scenarios.

ya less DOF lol

I come across another method of faking DOF (but cant find that website anymore, didnt bookmark it).

In it, that guy open a photo, apply a mask with blur filter (whole image is blur now), then he slowly unmarks the face of the subject to make it sharp.

I cant seem to find that website, can someone guide me along with this method?

Seems easier to use, as I can just unmask the portion I wanted to remain sharp.

thanks.

ya less DOF lol

I come across another method of faking DOF (but cant find that website anymore, didnt bookmark it).

In it, that guy open a photo, apply a mask with blur filter (whole image is blur now), then he slowly unmarks the face of the subject to make it sharp.

I cant seem to find that website, can someone guide me along with this method?

Seems easier to use, as I can just unmask the portion I wanted to remain sharp.

thanks.

There's nothing much to it.

1) Duplicate layer
2) Apply blur of your choice
3) Use quick mask to mask out the face (google for quick mask photoshop to learn how to use it)

More often than now it ends up looking pretty unnatural unless your background is more of less on the same plane.

Hi everyone,

I just tried my hands on photoshop (noob here), and have been reading some tutorials online.

Basically i tried to create more DOF for my portrait photos.

So, as per what Ive read, I opened up my photo as background, duplicate a copy, and used polygonal lasso to go around my subject. Then I select inverse and delete, so that everything except my subject is deleted.

Then I go to the background image and apply blur filter.

However I noticed that the edges of my subject and the background blur is very very obvious. Stark contrast of blur and sharp.

Is there anyway I could do to blend the edges of the sharp subject with the blur background image better?

Thanks

easy peasy. lasso tool + feather. use gaussian blur instead of just blur filter. done

another method will be to make a copy layer, apply gaussian blur, useing layer masking, slowly delete the parts u dun want blur by painting over it.

Do not use Gaussian blur. After you duplicate the image, mask out the subject. Be careful to get a clean, accurate mask. Then apply Lens Blur, using the Layer Mask option as shown here:

lensblur.jpg

This will prevent the edges of the subject from blurring into the background and creating a halo.

More discussion here:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/readflat.asp?forum=1006&message=31677251&changemode=1

Soak the edges in water???

Soak the edges in water???
lmao i like that reply.

Anyway youtube does provide some solid answers. Have you tried from there?