How to smoothen skin from digitally-shot portraits?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TrailsofLife

Jul 6, 2004
Singapore
Hi guys,

Traditionally, in film photography, we just over expose 1 or 2 stops to "clear" the skin.

As most would have notice, when shooting portraits with Dslr, the camera register alot of details from portraits' subjects' skin like pores, tiny hair, blemishes etc. Especially, half-body portraits or the worst is face close up.

Anyone know how to make face smooth as silk(naturally) in PS?

Thanks
Max 2.8

Hey thanks! This does help in the skin tone.

Do you know how to clear the pores on the skin, especially on the face?

tried already.

I saw those cover gals/guys on magazines, especially fashion mags, have really naturally smooth skin yet very sharp image. Doesn't look like gaussian blur.

How do they do that?

apply more makeup to the models.

Max 2.8 said:
Hey thanks! This does help in the skin tone.

Do you know how to clear the pores on the skin, especially on the face?

Check the step 6 of the tutorial above...
Its mainly the careful use of Healing Brush tool.
It'll make the skin perfect, and still keep it sharp.

but alternatively, you can use a Blur tool (NOT the Filter -> Blur), especially for those models with pores... Choose that Blur tool from the "ToolBar", and carefully brushing on the areas which you think the skin is too rough will add some more smoothness to the skin.

But bear in mind that, to get a smoother skin look, you'd need proper lightings, make up and a model with nice-clean face. Those Magazine advertisments are done professionally, since their first setup. And with a little more touch in Photoshop, it becomes perfect. Photoshop still can help you fix those small imperfetions, but sometimes, its too hard to do so when the source isnt good enough.

Look at these two images...
The Source http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/17463039/
and the
The Finished One http://www.deviantart.com/view/17100452/
Since the source file was already shot in quite a good lighting, and model has a moderately clean face. So that the finish was quite perfect.

You'll see quite a difference between the two..
Hope it helps. :sweatsm:

Cheers!

Thanks Londonray,

Looks like there's no easy way out for this one. Reason for this solution is not for those CS model-shoot as most of them have pretty smooth skin.

I did my first wedding portraits for my sister. The outdoor shots are pretty ok, can't see the flaws on the couple's faces, but the studio shots....Wow, its uglily "true" to the subject, large pores, blemishes, viens, eyebags, "craters" etc :bsmilie:

So I have hard time cleaning up the skin part. I tried those methods mention in your thread to smoothen the skin, just thought there maybe a easier way.

Anyway, thanks

Cheers
Max 2.8

Max 2.8 said:
tried already.

I saw those cover gals/guys on magazines, especially fashion mags, have really naturally smooth skin yet very sharp image. Doesn't look like gaussian blur.

How do they do that?

Yo Maz bro....

Those you see one the magazines are being touch up by the pros in DI department. It takes plenty of time, effort, patience and skills to acheive the smoothness of one person's face.

Come down lar to the studio, I can teach you a little basic techniques which my DI friend taught me.

Max 2.8 said:
As most would have notice, when shooting portraits with Dslr, the camera register alot of details from portraits' subjects' skin like pores, tiny hair, blemishes etc. Especially, half-body portraits or the worst is face close up.

This is NOT an answer to your question/problem. But I thought perhaps you should be aware that films do show a lot of details including pores and hairs etc.

What you described as overexposing is nothing more than "white-washing" the skin. But yes, you will be amazed by the incredible details films can record.

student said:
This is NOT an answer to your question/problem. But I thought perhaps you should be aware that films do show a lot of details including pores and hairs etc.

What you described as overexposing is nothing more than "white-washing" the skin. But yes, you will be amazed by the incredible details films can record.

this is the digital darkroom forum.
he's asking how to smoothen the skin, taken digitally.
dont want to hear anything about FILM here.
lol... you will be "AMAZED" by the "INCREDIBLE DETAILS"... lol
sounds like some kind of TV-innovation channel...
please go promote your stuffs elsewhere...

---------

Yah.. ProImage(Danny) is right.
We need a lot of patience and details in retouching these images, to make them look flawless skin.

I've met Danny only once... but I believe he's an expert in many fields.
You should go and seek advice from him.
Think i'll also drop by to visit him one day soon, to ask his opinions on my photos, if he's free.
Thumbs up for ProImage!

waiaung said:
this is the digital darkroom forum.
he's asking how to smoothen the skin, taken digitally.
dont want to hear anything about FILM here.
lol... you will be "AMAZED" by the "INCREDIBLE DETAILS"... lol
sounds like some kind of TV-innovation channel...

---------

Yah.. ProImage(Danny) is right.
We need a lot of patience and details in retouching these images, to make them look flawless skin.

I've met Danny only once... but I believe he's an expert in many fields.
You should go and seek advice from him.
Think i'll also drop by to visit him one day soon, to ask his opinions on my photos, if he's free.
Thumbs up for ProImage!

I am not asking for your opinion. I am not making any statement on digital stuff. I am making a correction to the thread starter's statement which can be misleading. Please learn how to read properly. You have shown a serious lack of ability to read and comprehand.

waiaung said:
this is the digital darkroom forum....

By the way, you seen to have a problem of fading memory. Just not too long ago, you had ventured into the "TRADITIONAL DARKROOM FORUM" and made comments on things you have ABSOLUTELY KNOW NOTHING OF!

To be consistent with your admonition to me, I hope you can have some form of consistency within yourself.

Hi student,

Yes, you are right, film does captures details, or else Kodak & other film makers would have wasted all the years of research. What I said is a method used in studio portraitures.

Hi Danny,

I managed to figure out a way to smoothen the skin for portraits, just trying to find an easier way.

Thanks guys for the info provided. This thread is closed

Status
Not open for further replies.