How to smoothen complexion using PS


Status
Not open for further replies.
#1
I saw my neighbourhood photo lab doing some post processing on my passport photo. I noticed he used PS Clone stamp to smoothen my complexion. I tried doing that at home but i kept getting the entire image cloned.

Can anyone show me some light?

I tried using Smudge ,Blur or heal tool too but the result looks rather fake.
 

stroma

New Member
Feb 20, 2004
131
0
0
58
England
#2
ordinaryless said:
I saw my neighbourhood photo lab doing some post processing on my passport photo. I noticed he used PS Clone stamp to smoothen my complexion. I tried doing that at home but i kept getting the entire image cloned.

Can anyone show me some light?

I tried using Smudge ,Blur or heal tool too but the result looks rather fake.
There are hundreds of ways to do this but here's a relatively simple one.

Firstly you need to learn to use Layers - this way any changes you make can be amended at any time.

1 Open the Layers pallet from Windows. Your photo will appear in this entitled 'Background'. Press Control J - this creates a copy of the original which can be softened and blended in.
2 With the background copy selected (targeted) go to the Filters menu and select Gaussin Blur and enter a radius of between 2 and 8 to blur the whole photo. This should look over-the top... Now in the layers menu reduce the opacity to about 50% or whatever makes the skin tones look soft.... Don't worry that everything else looks soft at this stage.
3 Now select the eraser tool with a soft brush and paint over the areas such as the eyes, teeth etc you wish to keep sharp. This allows your original photo (The background) to come through.

The last stage is better done using layer masks but that would take a little longer to explain.

Hope this makes sense. :)
 

tmc17479

New Member
Oct 23, 2003
711
0
0
39
Bukit Timah
Visit site
#3
try reading up books on PS. They have a lot of tips on how to do this and that. Some of them teaches you step by step so its easier to understand
 

#4
stroma said:
There are hundreds of ways to do this but here's a relatively simple one.

Firstly you need to learn to use Layers - this way any changes you make can be amended at any time.

1 Open the Layers pallet from Windows. Your photo will appear in this entitled 'Background'. Press Control J - this creates a copy of the original which can be softened and blended in.
2 With the background copy selected (targeted) go to the Filters menu and select Gaussin Blur and enter a radius of between 2 and 8 to blur the whole photo. This should look over-the top... Now in the layers menu reduce the opacity to about 50% or whatever makes the skin tones look soft.... Don't worry that everything else looks soft at this stage.
3 Now select the eraser tool with a soft brush and paint over the areas such as the eyes, teeth etc you wish to keep sharp. This allows your original photo (The background) to come through.

The last stage is better done using layer masks but that would take a little longer to explain.

Hope this makes sense. :)
Thanks for your reply.

I understand what you're trying to say, though i'm unable to successfully implement your 'eraser' part. it doesnt seems to erased away the softness. I believed the same can be achieved using quick masking of certain parts first.

However, what i see at the photolab wasn't anything this complex, there isn't any gaussian blur involved. it was just simple touches over the parts of the face where there are dents to smoothen out the complexion and it was done within seconds.

Does anyone know his method? It has something to do with clone stamp i believe.

I appreciate ya reply though. Thank you very much stroma.
 

stroma

New Member
Feb 20, 2004
131
0
0
58
England
#7
ordinaryless said:
Thanks for your reply.

I understand what you're trying to say, though i'm unable to successfully implement your 'eraser' part. it doesnt seems to erased away the softness. I believed the same can be achieved using quick masking of certain parts first.

However, what i see at the photolab wasn't anything this complex, there isn't any gaussian blur involved. it was just simple touches over the parts of the face where there are dents to smoothen out the complexion and it was done within seconds.

Does anyone know his method? It has something to do with clone stamp i believe.

I appreciate ya reply though. Thank you very much stroma.
If it's just a simple blemish e.g a spot etc then you can use the clone stamp, but even simpler and more effictive is the 'Healing Brush' (If you have V7 or CS) - it's the icon just above the clone stamp. It may have been this that was used in the shop.(As with the Clone Stamp you can quickly alter brush size by using the [ and ] keys).
Press the Alt Key and click on the photo you wish to repair then click over the mark or 'dents' you wish to remove and they will blend seamlessly with the rest of the photo. :)
 

willyfoo

Senior Member
Jan 18, 2002
2,048
0
0
43
North
willyfoo.com
#8
You've to use a combination of the healing brush & clone tool..

Healing brush clones the texture but not the colour... it uses colour information from the surrounding pixels... thus it's not suitable when the surrounding colours are complex..

Otherwise fall back to the clone tool... use opacity to control how much to clone.. I use 50% to 90% opacity depending on situation. Higher opacity is needed when the textures are more prominent and using too low opacity will blur the texture... you need to constantly change clone points and watch the angles...

I can do a demonstration at the next SEED if u guys are keen on seeing how it's done.
I did a project shooting 120 people in 2 days.. with them standing behind me after they are shot and watching me do the cleaning up.
 

willyfoo

Senior Member
Jan 18, 2002
2,048
0
0
43
North
willyfoo.com
#10
ordinaryless said:
Thank you to all those that replied. i shall try out all the suggested methods.

Willy: I appreciate ya effort, i'll let u know if i go to the next SEEDS
Next SEED is on 19th May. Don't know if I can find a powerpoint there but I'll probably do the demo at 7:30pm..

http://clubsnap.org/forums/showthread.php?p=651072#post651072
 

#13
If you need further tips and professional approach to photoshop cs, i strongly recommend this books. I just purchased it recently and it will show you the actual steps (in full color) and recommended settings (e.g. opacity, etc). similar to the instruction given by stroma :thumbsup:

 

wolf

New Member
May 2, 2004
49
0
0
#14
Pinoy_SAP said:
If you need further tips and professional approach to photoshop cs, i strongly recommend this books. I just purchased it recently and it will show you the actual steps (in full color) and recommended settings (e.g. opacity, etc). similar to the instruction given by stroma :thumbsup:

Hi,
Can you tell me which store it is available and how much. Thanks.
 

TulipKoh

New Member
May 19, 2004
45
0
0
#16
Hi,

I am using Photoshop version 7, Does this book useful for me too?


Pinoy_SAP said:
If you need further tips and professional approach to photoshop cs, i strongly recommend this books. I just purchased it recently and it will show you the actual steps (in full color) and recommended settings (e.g. opacity, etc). similar to the instruction given by stroma :thumbsup:

 

TulipKoh

New Member
May 19, 2004
45
0
0
#17
Hi,

Can someone teach me how to whiten the teeth?
 

Triton

New Member
Oct 10, 2003
243
0
0
West
Visit site
#18
TulipKoh said:
Hi,

Can someone teach me how to whiten the teeth?
There are probably countless other ways to do that.
For me I use this simple method:
1) Use a selection tool of your choice (e.g. magic wand etc..) to select the area of the teeths to be whiten.
2) From the menu: Image --> Adjustments --> Hue/Saturation.
3) Slide the Saturation bar to the left for the effect you desire.
4) You can also slide the Lightness to ensure you get a good final result.
 

Mar 28, 2003
189
0
0
41
Toa Payoh
Visit site
#19
Triton said:
There are probably countless other ways to do that.
For me I use this simple method:
1) Use a selection tool of your choice (e.g. magic wand etc..) to select the area of the teeths to be whiten.
2) From the menu: Image --> Adjustments --> Hue/Saturation.
3) Slide the Saturation bar to the left for the effect you desire.
4) You can also slide the Lightness to ensure you get a good final result.
Just to add a little, Use lasso tool to 'draw out'/'isolate' the teeth area first. so you just working on the teeth. Then In Hue/Saturation, adjust the yellow first, eg to -72. The switch to master, adjust the lightness bar but don't over do it till the teeth 'jumps out'. Hope this helps a little.

This from the above Scott Kelby book. Somebody here is selling books. Nick Riceball or something. He actually delivered right to my doorstep without any additional charge. His name is Zhongling i think. Great price, great service :thumbsup:
 

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom