how to shoot.......?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlphaLuver

Nov 2, 2008
9gag.com
www.facebook.com
i have been looking around some photogallary on the web and came across some interesting photo shoots which i tried replicating with abit of similarties. but there's still some shots i just couldn't figure out how it was taken.

1. A shot straight down a carpark(or a straight path) which isn't at all long, maybe 50meter, but it appears in the photo like it's 100m or longer. also, the subjects in the foreground is not at all distorted.

my guess at this is using a wide angle lens.

2. a shot of F1 racer with the background blurred and with the car remaining clear/unblur (the car is moving fast).

no idea how this is done except following the car while the shutter is open. if this is so then i'll forget abt getting that kind of shot.:(

i have been looking around some photogallary on the web and came across some interesting photo shoots which i tried replicating with abit of similarties. but there's still some shots i just couldn't figure out how it was taken.

1. A shot straight down a carpark(or a straight path) which isn't at all long, maybe 50meter, but it appears in the photo like it's 100m or longer. also, the subjects in the foreground is not at all distorted.

my guess at this is using a wide angle lens.

2. a shot of F1 racer with the background blurred and with the car remaining clear/unblur (the car is moving fast).

no idea how this is done except following the car while the shutter is open. if this is so then i'll forget abt getting that kind of shot.:(

You're correct on both accounts. 1 is using wide-angle, 2 is what is called "Panning". And don't despair; I've seen some good panning shots from he last F1 race that were taken with cellphone cams. It's just about patience and practice.

for 2, usually what happens is that the camera locked focus on the car so the person simply "followed" the car after pressing the shutter.

you can actually learn a lot from books, magazines and even online videos.

for 2, usually what happens is that the camera locked focus on the car so the person simply "followed" the car after pressing the shutter.

you can actually learn a lot from books, magazines and even online videos.

omg... seems like i have to 'steal' secret manual and practice them starting from now to master following a F1 while the shutter is open with a pentamirror viewfinder.

omg... seems like i have to 'steal' secret manual and practice them starting from now to master following a F1 while the shutter is open with a pentamirror viewfinder.

U can either..
1. Post question and seek for answers in the forum.
2. Join photo outings and learn from frens is the fastest!

by the way, if i were to follow the moving subject, and image stabilizer is on, does switching to local focus mode help the stabilizer focus on just the subject? i have yet to take any shots using this method to localise the subject stabiliser should be 'looking at' if possible.

by the way, if i were to follow the moving subject, and image stabilizer is on, does switching to local focus mode help the stabilizer focus on just the subject? i have yet to take any shots using this method to localise the subject stabiliser should be 'looking at' if possible.

For panning shots:
Set to Shutter Priority
Select shutter speed of 1/60~1/80
Fn Button->Auto Focus Mode->AF-C (Continuous AF)
Switch to continuous shooting/burst mode
Lock focus on subject from far
Pan and follow subject
Squeeze off shutter when subject is in desired framing

No, it's not the stabilizer that focuses on the subject. Stabilization and focus are 2 very different things.

What I suggest is:

1. Pre-focus on the area where you plan to pan, then switch to manual focus. Your lens will stay focused where it is.

2. Set to shutter speed priority, maybe 1/5 or 1/10s.

3. Practice!

No need to steal a secret manual. You can use your VF or your Live View. Both will work just fine. You can start by practicing on regular cars on the road.

No, it's not the stabilizer that focuses on the subject. Stabilization and focus are 2 very different things.

What I suggest is:

1. Pre-focus on the area where you plan to pan, then switch to manual focus. Your lens will stay focused where it is.

2. Set to shutter speed priority, maybe 1/5 or 1/10s.

3. Practice!

i know that technically 'focus' and stabilizer are two different thing. what i asked was to 'ask' the stabilizer to stabilize on a particular subject instead of the normal operation.

but i found out the answer somewhere else that i can't.. sony's IS system moves the sensor physically. thanks anyway.

i know that technically 'focus' and stabilizer are two different thing. what i asked was to 'ask' the stabilizer to stabilize on a particular subject instead of the normal operation.

but i found out the answer somewhere else that i can't.. sony's IS system moves the sensor physically. thanks anyway.

No, you had it all wrong... ALL IS systems (Lens based or body-based, whether Sony, canon, nikon, etc etc etc) compensate for vibrations detected in the camera caused by handshake or environmental vibrations. You cannot stabilize on a subject, as your concept specifically relates to maintaining focus on a subject rather than image stabilization.

Why not just join the big alpha gathering this saturday and we'll be able to teach you first-hand?

Status
Not open for further replies.