How to shoot with flash without a ceiling?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Liangerism

Jul 25, 2007
sidewaysphotographique.com
hi all,

juz wanna find out if anyone could advise me on how to shoot people with flash without a ceiling.
i own an omni-bounce and a light sphere, and i never tried shooting in an open environment before.
ur words will be appreciated, thanks in advance.

A large (at least 1/2 A4 size) bounce card can throw enough light forward for 1/2 body portraits. You need to try out 1st to see the range you get from the bounce (probably around 3-4 meters).

Since you already own an omnibounce, just try it outside as check out the effect yourself.

hi all,

juz wanna find out if anyone could advise me on how to shoot people with flash without a ceiling.
i own an omni-bounce and a light sphere, and i never tried shooting in an open environment before.
a few ways.

wireless flash. bending light. reflect off the floor. depends what portrait effect you want.

You can use the chrome attachment for your lightsphere. Alternatively, you can try sticking some aluminium foil to the insides of your light sphere for the same effect.

hi all,

Shoot direct, dial down the flash exposure.
Shoot bounced (against wall, floor, etc, even your hand can be a bounce surface)

this setup..

very akward-looking, but it does provide soft light in a ceiling-less environment.. ;)

3490608429_4a6cd8449b.jpg

3375133907_63c21ea05d.jpg

way too many. It all depends on what you wanna do with your light.

PS maybe someone can start a "setup shots" thread in the lightings sub forum hehehe.

Status
Not open for further replies.