How to shoot this?

as u press the shutter button, turn the zoom ring, its that simple.

No, zoom in while shooting. Very basic technique.

But yes, you can achieve the same in post too.

In pp, radical blur. For shooting, zoom in while press shutter.

fellow gurus, when you imply "zoom in"

are you talking about

1) adjusting the zoom ring

or

2) moving the camera towards the subject

another question, will the subject be out-of-focus once the zoom ring is adjusted?

lastly, to get the best effect, this is best done with a tripod?

zoom in while press shutter (that means using AF-C?)

or zoom in after pressing shutter

Zoom while you press the shutter. You need to be fast then you get the blur. No need for AF-C.

Note... If you hold the lens steady and twist the body instead, you can get some fun effects too.

2251180923_9fcaf6b02d_z.jpg

2062496051_e85cafa5be_z.jpg

cool stuff. are we looking at an exposure of about 3-5 seconds?

No. The zooming part is easy. The hard part is keep the camera still enough so that the centre part is still reasonably focused and sharp, with little or no visible camera shake. 1/4s-1/15s should get the effect, depending on how hard you dare to twist your zoom. It's hard bcoz the zooming is done with the left hand, which is the hand normally used to stabilize the camera. You have to move/twitch the fingers (zoom ring) without moving the palm which is supporting the camera -- all within that short ~0.1s window when the shutter is open. Doesn't help that the right hand has just depressed the shutter and contributed a downward force on the camera's right.

Last edited:
Rashkae said:
Note... If you hold the lens steady and twist the body instead, you can get some fun effects too.

Nice idea bro! :thumbs:

Start zooming in after pressing shutter, when you hear the click of the mirror flapping and the shutter opening, start to zoom in. :)

i think i have to comment on this.. because it may be too late for the zooming effect to kick in if you zoom after you press the shutter.. not saying that it is wrong, but another way is to zoom in, and while zooming you press the shutter and follow through with the zooming after the shutter has closed.. somehow like a panning sequence.. imo, the zoom-press-follow through gives a smoother effect.. plus, it lessen the camera shake when zooming straight after pressing shutter button (i tried both methods).. my one cent! ;)

Last edited: