How to shoot the event of annual dinner?

Status
Not open for further replies.

John Kay

Dec 6, 2005
Penang, Malaysia
Hai, friends,
I need some guide on how to shoot the event of annual dinner. I had been pointed to help snap photos for my department annaul dinner.
For those have experience in shooting the annual dinner in ballroom, please share it here with me...thanks.

Flash needed? and ....

yeah... you need flash and a wide to medium tele lens. things to shoot:

1. candid moments
2. group photos
3. bosses giving speech

that's all i can think of at the moment.

Stay alert for candid moments & make sure u know the program inside-out (including any planned sabos for the bosses. Make sure u capture their most awful/xia suay moment).

1) invest or DIY a bounce card.
2) pray that the ceiling is low enough to bounce.
3) know the program
4) remember to talk and smile a lot and try not to chimp too much.

John Kay said:
Any example of setting to camera and ext flash needed?
External flash is a must. Not just in a low-lit ballroom.

As for settings, can't advise u on a single form of 'one-sized fits all' manual setting. Aperture priority would be good enough (unless u insist on shooting ambient light not using flash all the way and dynamic lighting wreck havoc on ur shutter speed).

Alternative, use the [P]rofessional mode.

i 2nd the P mode

and yes flash is a must, unless it is very very bright
fast lens/big aperture = shallow DOF

for event coverage i suppose the "Client" wants to see smiling faces
people enjoying themselves, candid moments, bosses giving speach ... ...

not a time to practice photo techniques

good exposure, sharp focus, good composition (no half head chop off)

depend on whether you want to continue kana the arrow ;p

just a point-n-shoot, next year, its someone else's turn ... hehehe ...

paradigm said:
depend on whether you want to continue kana the arrow ;p

just a point-n-shoot, next year, its someone else's turn ... hehehe ...

btw, the point and shoot, put "flash contain" mode ... ie no flash ...

What is your setup?

As for me, using my 20D, 17-40mm lens and flash (with bounce-card or ominbounce), I will use manual mode. (I find that using aperture priority or P mode tends to correctly expose your subjects but the bg is totally underexposed)

First, I will take a few test shots using iso 400, f5.6 and shutter set to just under total correct exposure of the bg (allowing the flash to do the rest of the job, as long as the shutter speed is not too slow that results in blurring. Usually, so long as I can get 1/40s, I am quite happy. However, if I am expecting lots of movement, like when they have to 'chiong' onto the stage to answer a question, I will sacrifice on bg exposure by increasing the shutter speed to 1/125 or 1/250 and let the ETTL do the work. Try to remember the settings for those shots on the stage, which is brighter, compared to those in the rest of the ballroom.

You may have to push up the iso to get enough latitude for good exposure using fast enough shutter speeds.

All the best for your 'assignment'

oh... also remember to do some trial shots before the event to test your prefered settings and gauge how the given lighting conditions might affect them.

John what are u planing to use ? They know that there are no certainties here right ? Actually I believe the army phrase for this is "do well kenna permanent arrow, kock up sign something never kenna again" Relax chill out - it is not like this is life or death for your job - u must make very clear that you are not a professional so results is what I get is what you get, its not like what U want I must get.

Status
Not open for further replies.