How to shoot street

Status
Not open for further replies.

NoPic

Jan 20, 2005
Hi,

I am amazed by the various street shots in the galleries, but am confused on how to start out.
Won't you get stares when u pick-up your camera in the public? How should you react when someone is unhappy with you pointing your camera at them? How do I overcome my fears of getting into trouble by shooting people on the streets? Must I have really thick skin to be a successful streetshooter? :sweat:

Thanks for all the advise...

I guess everyone will have a different reaction to you pointing a camera in their direction(you may not even be shooting them!). Like last night, i was carrying my dslr to shoot at chinatown, i was trying to browse at a shop but the shopkeeper turned and kept looking at me! Like he is going to pounce if i put my eye to the viewfinder!

Others will gladly pose for you. So the best is to read the person's expression and if need to, ask their permission to shoot. And sometimes a smile can make things alot easier!

there are many ways to look at it, but you don't always have to be upclose and personal to take such shots. Check out www.magnumphotos.com
that's photojournalism, but it's the same approach. Some of those guys there likes to get up close, others take a broader view of the situation or the scene.

Ask yourself "what do I see ?" and shoot that. (or you may decide not to shoot)

rather than the usual
"I'm shooting an old man"
"I'm shooting a road side stall"

Cheers
rgs
rueyloon
http://www.rueyloon.com

NoPic said:
Hi,

I am amazed by the various street shots in the galleries, but am confused on how to start out.
just pick up your camera and hit the streets!

Won't you get stares when u pick-up your camera in the public?
initially, yes. but after a few minutes, everyone will ignore u.

How should you react when someone is unhappy with you pointing your camera at them?
point your camera at someone else.

How do I overcome my fears of getting into trouble by shooting people on the streets?
practice, and more practice.

Must I have really thick skin to be a successful streetshooter? :sweat:
yes, as well as patience and optimism.

Thanks for all the advise...
you're welcome....

zaren said:
just pick up your camera and hit the streets!

initially, yes. but after a few minutes, everyone will ignore u.

point your camera at someone else.

practice, and more practice.

yes, as well as patience and optimism.

you're welcome....

:thumbsup: good tips from zaren

renegade said:
:thumbsup: good tips from zaren

Cause he's been there, done that.:bsmilie:

This is a quote from Steve McCurry: "It was in India that McCurry learned to watch and wait on life. "If you wait", he realized, "people would forget your camera and the soul would drift up into view". "

Hope that quote helps you! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.