How to shoot smoke?

Status
Not open for further replies.

vonvonz

Feb 15, 2004
Jason's Heart
I tried shooting smoke, but, I can't really figure out how should i get around with it. either with white smoke w/ dark bg, or black smoke with white bg.

can anyone offer me tips about what thing is best that i can use to produce smoke? like incense, cig.. or etc..

how should i set the lights and all that. the background/backdrop...

really would like to experiment with that. but couldnt' get it, can't find tips on it also (maybe i looked at the wrong place)

hopefully will get some advices here. :) thank you

halloween_005_copy.jpg

incense ia long burning and smoky, should done well, get the aromatic type, can meditate some more :p

if you can get on of those indian style terracotta burners , you can get some sandalwood woodchips, they burn with nice swirly smoke "trails" , should look good.

lemonlogix, checked out your gallery, nice pics, especially like " A part of old", "red top", "the real world" and LOL "Tourist Cat" :p

vonvonz said:
I tried shooting smoke, but, I can't really figure out how should i get around with it. either with white smoke w/ dark bg, or black smoke with white bg.

can anyone offer me tips about what thing is best that i can use to produce smoke? like incense, cig.. or etc..

how should i set the lights and all that. the background/backdrop...

really would like to experiment with that. but couldnt' get it, can't find tips on it also (maybe i looked at the wrong place)

hopefully will get some advices here. :) thank you

if your smoke is light colored, you should ideally use a dark background. Backlighting the smoke will make it stand out.

steely said:
if you can get on of those indian style terracotta burners , you can get some sandalwood woodchips, they burn with nice swirly smoke "trails" , should look good.

lemonlogix, checked out your gallery, nice pics, especially like " A part of old", "red top", "the real world" and LOL "Tourist Cat" :p

thanks. How does Indian style burners look like. I have no idea at all.
Perhaps can go temple..i am sure lots of smoke there.

small Red clay open dish , with one short stumpy support below and a handle on one side, open or closed ear type.

The indian homes have this for burning incense etc, the hindu priests are often seen holding this in their hands and performing salutory gestures to the gods.

Can get it very cheep in serangoon, also can get the wood chips there as well.

steely said:
small Red clay open dish , with one short stumpy support below and a handle on one side, open or closed ear type.

The indian homes have this for burning incense etc, the hindu priests are often seen holding this in their hands and performing salutory gestures to the gods.

Can get it very cheep in serangoon, also can get the wood chips there as well.

leonzhu said:
if your smoke is light colored, you should ideally use a dark background. Backlighting the smoke will make it stand out.

thanks for your tips! :D will give it a try

lemonlogix said:
I tried before also, almost burn the house down. :bsmilie:

want to show you sample, but dunno how to attached leh.
let me try again
Smoke (badly taken) /

hahaa.. thanks ah! for showing me, i dont dare to set too big fire :p was trying with incense instead, but the smoke was tiny. >_<;

RuthBaby said:
cute wat.. we have marlboro lights, marlboro menthol lights and marlboro ang
halloween_001_copy.jpg

wah~~ hehehe.. looks damn fun leh :D

try use a strong light source and arraneg for the smoke trails to roughly intersect with the path of light. this way the smoke particles scatter the light and render the smoke cloud itself more visible

Status
Not open for further replies.