how to shoot smoke

Status
Not open for further replies.

jkl

Apr 5, 2004
I tried shooting smoke, but, I can't really figure out how should i get around with it. either with white smoke w/ dark bg, or black smoke with white bg.

can anyone offer me tips about what thing is best that i can use to produce smoke? like incense, cig.. or etc..

how should i set the lights and all that. the background/backdrop...

really would like to experiment with that. but couldnt' get it, can't find tips on it also (maybe i looked at the wrong place)

hopefully will get some advices here. thank you

yup that's the kind i'm talking about... the one on black backgrd...

catchlights said:
but their final image is color smoke with white b/g.

Think out of the box a bit...

B/g is actually black, shoot the smoke already then reverse the colour, that should give you a white B/g.

First step makes sense?

Next step. Go to Hue/saturation, colorise and adjust the colour tint to your taste and voila!....

You've got Coloured Smoke!

wat about the set-up? how shd i set the camera? lighting?
btw... am i missing some posts in the thread? how come i can't seem to see catchlight's reply??

thanks

You can try mosquito coils, they produce mighty amount of smoke. But if you have too much, the picture will tend to get messy. So you may want to consider finding ways to channel the smoke properly. Also, you can try slower shutter speeds to capture the movement of the smoke.

Prismatic said:
You can try mosquito coils, they produce mighty amount of smoke. But if you have too much, the picture will tend to get messy. So you may want to consider finding ways to channel the smoke properly. Also, you can try slower shutter speeds to capture the movement of the smoke.

You're right about channeling smoke. Probably need a fan to ventilate the place after 3 minutes or so. Or you can try those scented incense, you get aromatherapy as you shoot :D

If you're using flash in a studio setup, any shutter speed below the x-sync speed won't matter.

i hv managed to take several pic of smoke and would like to know how to process them using ps now... any help is much appreciated! pls also note that i hv absolutely zero experience using ps so pls be kind and offer idiot-proof steps... thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.