How to shoot ROM?

Status
Not open for further replies.

grado

Dec 28, 2003
I have a friend who asked me to shoot his sis's ROM. How should I prepare? What are the moments I should anticipate and what are the pics that are expected? I have not been to any ROM before as far as I can remember... Hope I can see some samples coz I suck at event photography...

hihi, i have nv taken Wedding b4, but from past postings.. u can foucs on capturing candid shots of the couples, of course u need to take some formal pose.
Hmmm... if u got wide angle lens wil be good, or a 28-80 range is ok. Use professional films like fujifilm NPH 400. The pictures wil look better.
Ya u also gotta be fast to move around, to capture those "moments". And u gotta speak up to arrange ppl for shoots..
ya.. juz my suggestion. hope it helps... :) ;)

Can I tag along? I'm a newbie also, would like to learn ROM photography :)

Opps, I forgot to add most probably I would be using a D70 with the kit lens and SB800. Its not the technical aspects that I worry abt but rather what should be taken because I dunno the flow. Its not a wedding shoot but just an ROM so maybe it's not such a critical event.

grado said:
Opps, I forgot to add most probably I would be using a D70 with the kit lens and SB800. Its not the technical aspects that I worry abt but rather what should be taken because I dunno the flow. Its not a wedding shoot but just an ROM so maybe it's not such a critical event.

ROM is just as important. :) One only ROMed once? Non? ;)

ROM not as fast paced as actual wedding... Except when they kiss...
U need to go ask around the flow of events inside the room 1st, ask someone experienced it B4... If u missed a moment, U can ask them to pose again.

Then after ROM they'd propably wanna take some shots at the park. Just some normal posed shots, & also group shots. All depends on what the couple wants.

Areality, that's only if the event takes place at the ROM center. If it's an outdoor event, like in a hotel ballroom or somewhere else, the procession doesn't flow as quite what you mentioned. There probably won't be time for posed shots.

grado said:

Can I join in the fun????

Anyway, the flow goes like this.

The couple will reach ROM. Then someone outside will ask for their names and people accompanying them. Please be noted that once you reach the second floor holding area, it is as squeezy as you can get. You may want to take the couple walking up the stairs.

Normally, the families and friends of both sides will want to pose near the "antique" chairs outside the rooms and the other places while waiting for your name to be called.

The couple will register at the second floor registry for their presence and the presence of the witnesses. Then wait wait wait.

Finally, their name will be called and they will go to the rooms indicated. In this instance, you might want to take a shot at the rooms they are directed to, for record purposes.

Once inside, the witness will sit on the left side of the wedding officer while the couple will stand infront of the wedding officers.... in this time, you might want to take shots of the wedding officer, witnesses and the couple to be. Then the wedding officer will say the standard things .... then finally, he / she will ask the witness to sign the forms and pronoun the couple man and wife. In this instance, you will have to be fast, as they will put on rings for each other and the groom will kiss the bride. Try to talk to the groom in advance to have a slightly longer kiss. The few ROM I been to ... well ... the groom and bride like ultra shot kisses.

Anyway, after that, the groom and bride will want to pose with wedding officer (don't know why, but it seems quite standard everyone want to pose with the wedding offcer). Then all is ended .... proceed to Fort Canning park for more photos.

1st standard shot will be the chair with the "Just Married" sign on top, then go fore to Fort canning park .... it's up to the photographer's imagination now ;)

Hope I get the flow correctly .....

.... Signing off ;P

That's the flow for ROM centre :) pretty accurate and close :thumbsup:

Btw, regarding the 'trend' thingie, the officer (JOP) was the one that officiated the ceremony, well.. the next most important person to your marriage life... so I guess that's why, it's worth 1 film/shutter to take a posed shot with them? :)

Registery of Marriage - a place actually, but it's short form has been used to place a significant step in Singapore & couples' lives whereby it's marked in the eyes of law that your Marital Status has been coverted from Single to Married. :)

adamadam said:
What is a ROM?
Read Only Memory

It's a type of memory that once written something there, it can never be erased. If you erased it, you're dead meat.

espn said:
That's the flow for ROM centre :) pretty accurate and close :thumbsup:

Btw, regarding the 'trend' thingie, the officer (JOP) was the one that officiated the ceremony, well.. the next most important person to your marriage life... so I guess that's why, it's worth 1 film/shutter to take a posed shot with them? :)

hehehe.... got one couple wanted at least 4 shots ... one with them and JOP and the witness (still quite bantan about 3 in a pictures). Then ask friends to be in the photograph, then bride with JOP then Groom with JOP .... LOL .... so get ready for that :D

Yup, think blurblock has covered the main flow. ;)

Juz want to add/provide more details:
- think what blurblock means by 'take a shot of the room they're directed to' is to also take photos of the room signage. ROM has several solemnisation rooms that're given different names. So check out which room the couple is given.

- solemnisation is pretty quick, maybe 10 min?? solemniser sits at a table, couple sits opposite solemniser, two witnesses sit by the side. Other friends/relatives sit or stand at the back of the room.

- solemniser will first speak to the couple, then couple will take turns to say vows and sign marriage document. Then witnesses sign marriage document. Couple exchange rings/kiss. Couple receives marriage cert. End of solemnisation.

- regarding the group pic with solemniser, impt to note that he/she is usually in a hurry to call in the next couple, so got to be fast w it. I've encountered one solemniser who was really impatient abt the photo-taking. So better confirm b4hand how many shots the couple want, with or without family/friends, etc. Juz my 2-cents worth. :)

grado said:
I have a friend who asked me to shoot his sis's ROM. How should I prepare? What are the moments I should anticipate and what are the pics that are expected? I have not been to any ROM before as far as I can remember... Hope I can see some samples coz I suck at event photography...

Hi,

The sequence are as posted by blurblock.

However, if you wish to visit my gallery. It's as linked

Happy shooting :)

Hmmm... CYRN, the light looks tricky..=) did u use direct or bounced flash?

Haha... seems like its quite a busy process.=)

May I be so audacious as to ask if I can tag along? haha or maybe not... imagine the couple who find out their ROM has become a Clubsnap outing!! :bsmilie:

espn said:
Can I tag along? I'm a newbie also, would like to learn ROM photography :)

Yeah, can I tag along also? I'm newbie in shooting ROM and interested to learn as well. I promise I will be good in the shots I take. ;)

drummercow said:
Hmmm... CYRN, the light looks tricky..=) did u use direct or bounced flash?

Haha... seems like its quite a busy process.=)

May I be so audacious as to ask if I can tag along? haha or maybe not... imagine the couple who find out their ROM has become a Clubsnap outing!! :bsmilie:

From what I see, mainly direct flashes with what seems to be 18-55 lens.

Hmm.. from my experience i used ISO400 ( digital ) + omni bounce should do the job... when you enter the room just go to the right hand side behind of the official.. that's where u can get most of the action.. however that place seems a little squeezy enough for 1 - 2 photographers only so make sure u get that spot, best with a wide angle lens.

if its at ROM centre, jus remember the play safe with yr white balance :)

cos the ceilings and surroundings are yellowish!
:)

i think 1 photog is enuff for rom.. as a bride, u would like so many flashes popping at u right?

:D

Status
Not open for further replies.