How to shoot night scene

Status
Not open for further replies.

mongmong

Jan 25, 2004
Dear all senior & experienced photographer,
Hi I am a newbie in digital photography,just bought a canon ixus v2,a 2 mega pixel camera which is handy enough for me to carry around. I would like to ask can anyone out there teach me how to shoot night scene (especially those with
neon lights & lot of lightings) using my camera manual setting such as aperture,ISO,shutter speed,etc??? Because i see a lot of nice night photo around in this site and i am really impressed and inspired to learn and shoot the same way as you guys out there,please enlighten. Otherwise is maybe someone can recommend me some books or website to refer to so I can read up more on the basics of digital photography Thank you very much n hope to joiin u all for some photo taking outing soon

Night shots.... and your cam is point and shoot type :think:

I recommend you to carry a tripod around when you go for night shooting because you have to set to low shutter speed and you would get cam shakes, later you will see blur images when you get home.:cry:

Aperture and shutter speed must be low, the best ISO speed around should be 100 for canon cams as above 100, there will be noise.

If you don't know what to choose for aperture and shutter speed, i suggest you let the cam do the work.

I'm not sure about your cam has the M function or not, because the cam is mainly point and shoot and it is good for those who do not like adjusting. From the reviews i read, it seens you don't have the M function but you can change the ISO. Maybe you can enlighten me on this. :)

A sample shot for you, i used tripod for this, dunno why i like to take peaches anyway. The center is quite overexposed :sweat: :)

f9fbd7b7.jpg.orig.jpg

Exposure time:0.200 s (1/5)
Aperture: f/3.2
Flash used: No
Metering Mode: matrix
Focal length: 6.6mm (35mm equivalent: 45mm)
Camera make: Canon
Camera model: Canon PowerShot A70

There's a night mode somewhere in Canon V2.
Read the manual and you should know.

You can't change the aperature or shutter speed for V2 so setting the camera to night mode is the best you can do. the camera will decide the setting for you. however, u need a tripod or a super steady hand cos the shutter speed is going to be slow.

Why don't you just do a search on the forum. It has been discussed before..

Thanks a lot for all your help and guiding. I will go test my camera out.

mongmong said:
Thanks a lot for all your help and guiding. I will go test my camera out.

keep your shutter speed as low as possible. Above 2-3 seconds noise increases dramatically, to a point where they actually form hotspots on your image that even neatimage can't defeat. Yucks.

post your picture when its done... you should get it after a few try

ok thanks again, need to get a tripod asap

Status
Not open for further replies.