How to shoot night portraits?

bro, where is the flash placed? using bounced card? how many speedlites u r using? looks like 1 LED with stand lighting from the rear of the model and speedlight with bounced card from the front of the model.

there were 3 lights used in this shot: an sb900 shooting thru umbrella at 7.30 o'clock of the model, a portable strobe placed next to the sb900 in modelling light mode thru an umbrella to provide the warm look, and an sb800 kick light behind the model to provide the outline/hairlight.

Last edited:
there were 3 lights used in this shot: an sb900 shooting thru umbrella at 7.30 o'clock of the model, a portable strobe placed next to the sb900 in modelling light mode thru an umbrella to provide the warm look, and an sb800 kick light behind the model to provide the outline/hairlight.

woh... is there any setup then don need so many things to attract a lot of attention?

woh... is there any setup then don need so many things to attract a lot of attention?

well, the larger the light modifier the softer the light will be, there is no way around it. so for the main light if u use a bounce card or omni-bounce, the light will be harder due to the smaller light source. but hard light doesn't mean bad, and sometimes an off camera direct flash will provide a more dramatic effect in carving out the outline. if u like to go the strobist way, min setup would be an off camera light + a light modifier (i.e. either an umbrella, a softbox, or a beauty dish). if you want hairlight then u need to add a kicker and it becomes a 2 light setup. for providing the warm look you can use an led light with orange filter. the usual setup i usually carry with me is a 2 light system, which consist of 2 light stands, 1 shoot thru umbrella, 1 sb900 & 1 sb800 (i've just added 2 nissin di866 recently), and remote triggers.

Last edited:
lostsole said:
well, the larger the light modifier the softer the light will be, there is no way around it. so for the main light if u use a bounce card or omni-bounce, the light will be harder due to the smaller light source. but hard light doesn't mean bad, and sometimes an off camera direct flash will provide a more dramatic effect in carving out the outline. if u like to go the strobist way, min setup would be an off camera light + a light modifier (i.e. either an umbrella, a softbox, or a beauty dish). if you want hairlight then u need to add a kicker and it becomes a 2 light setup. for providing the warm look you can use an led light with orange filter. the usual setup i usually carry with me is a 2 light system, which consist of 2 light stands, 1 shoot thru umbrella, 1 sb900 & 1 sb800 (i've just added 2 nissin di866 recently), and remote triggers.

Thinking of adding YN speedlight on top of my ex460ex2.

I did tried off camera flash, but during that time, there isn't any place for me to place my flash... Think will slowly build up my set up.

Thinking of adding YN speedlight on top of my ex460ex2.

I did tried off camera flash, but during that time, there isn't any place for me to place my flash... Think will slowly build up my set up.

Get a cheapo tripod to mount the flash off camera. Can leave the flash stand attached "permanently" to the cheapo

sinned79 said:
u can buy a lightstand also.

Light stand more ex than the cheapo tripod.. Lol

SGcamerastore has some cny promo though..

sinned79 said:
tripod is height limiting. unless u owns a very tall tripod. else most light stands can go up to 1.9m.

Manda are selling good air cushion light stand that extends till more than 2m that cost less than $30. You might consider that.

Manda are selling good air cushion light stand that extends till more than 2m that cost less than $30. You might consider that.

i have 2 light stand which is ard 2m+

like from my foot all the way till my hand when i raised them up. i think it's 2.5m. i am 1.8m tall
but will look at the manda