how to shoot indoors (conferences/semiars)?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nivlac

Dec 9, 2004
hiya,

any gurus can advise on how to best shoot indoors especially in ballrooms for conferences and seminars (tungsten lighting).

using 350D + 50mm, 85mm, 18-55mm, 55-200mm, sigma 500 flash.

appointed company's photographer for events... everytime i take such indoor photos always either blur or too dark. if use flash the object becomes over exposed and bg is black...:sweat:

any advise??

use a higher iso so that there would be a better balance between background and foreground. Also i think canon by default has its flash curtain sync at rear curtain(someone correct me if im wrong). You may want to try front curtain sync. Also, u using direct flash? maybe u may want to diffuse the light by different means by which doing a search on CS will turn up all the methods from a plain white card to tupperware containers used as diffusers.

to be honest, best way to get out of this sh1t job is carry on give what you used to give, than you boss will realize your limitation in this area and hire someone else.

to improve your shots it is not an overnight things, you need lots of practice before you able to deliver something decent, not just by a few words given by us.

perhaps for a start, to solve the over exposure causes by flash, try bounce the light off the ceiling or walls.

it is fine for those seniors who don't wont to share the good technics but don't reply with discourage comments lah.... :eek:

if don't start with limited knowledge then how to become a pro???

it is fine for those seniors who don't wont to share the good technics but don't reply with discourage comments lah.... :eek:

if don't start with limited knowledge then how to become a pro???
this is a swept statement.

check my past postings to see have I not share anything with people??

hi chalib,
then again, if you ask someone verbally, by chance level you will get equal amount of encouragements and discouragements. the forum won't serve as a filter for [only good comments].

btw, it would help if you can tell us how you normally shoot the events,
perhaps what settings you use, eg
iso
manual mode or semi-automatic modes like Av or Tv.

where you point your flash
what synchonisation method you used with your flash

there are many ways to skin a cat. results differ slightly also depending which method you use.
to shoot without blur, i guess i would use manual mode, shutter @ 1/60 at least, aperture at f4 at least (for group shots), f2.8 for (single persons). wide aperture allows for shallow DOF.
but you see, i use D70s. while it's a decent camera, those with mid end or high end wouldn't have as much concern for noise at high ISO.

yah, i agree with chanxj, say if you flash at iso400 and iso800, iso800 would show a brighter background. lower iso used with flash might cancel out ambient lighting, esp if it's direct flash.

so if you're flashing, esp if it's ballroom, and if ceiling is high, you need to dial up your flash to be more powerful? to create more bounced light off the ceiling.
if you have a bounce card, attach one to your flash. dun expose too much of it. so some light get reflected forward and light up your subjects.
if not, i like using lightsphere for ballrooms as it's keeps my background well lit, while using diffused light on the subjects. i find bounce card hard to control and create a lot of undesired shadows at neck, nose, eyebags etc.

to use what setting, you need to test and know your preference. do you mind noise? i quite dislike noise, so i rather flash more, use ISO low. IF possible, that is.
once you shoot more, you probably will start paying attention to the white balance and stuff. so you will probably be able to correct yourself by then.

if unsure, shoot in RAW! ha.
as you can see, i'm no pro also, but i've came by your problems also, and kept learning how to shoot better in events also. ha.

when you're better at it, try bouncing flash at different walls. that is, create directional lighting. it adds a whole different dimension to the output of your shots! gambatte!

this is a swept statement.

check my past postings to see have I not share anything with people??

as a senior member, I am sure you have. but your earlier is indeed discouraging. We all understand that it is not an overnight thing, that's why we need practice through a practical event.

As for Nivlac, rather than staying out of the responsibility by a doing bad job to your boss (which may be bad for your career), i think it is a better idea to let the boss know your limitations, and yet you are willing to help.

But how to do it, I like the "betterbouncecard" method and I will give more power to the flash as you are bouncing the flash. I myself is still exploring through the trial and error, so can't help you much.

:confused:

Thks GaoZi

This is nivlac's thread so shall go back to him and his situation.... :)

For group shots
Use 350D + 18-55mm, sigma 500 flash
Manual mode, f5.6 1/30 to 1/60sec, ISO 400 to 800 depend on environment lighting
Flash with diffuse or bounce card , keep close distance to the group

For stage event or candid shots
Use 350D + 85mm, sigma 500 flash (optional)
Av mode, f1.8, check shutter speed > 1/80sec, ISO 1600

Quite a number of the senior members here are utterly rude and IMO if you sieve through their contributions, this is what you get :
1) Search google lah
2) Searh the forum lah
3) ask sensless question lah
4) don't be spoon fed lah
I always wonder why is there a google search link in this forum. Never seen this feature in any other forums, be it whether it is of the same hobby or not. Then I realise this forum caters very well to the sickly culture of some professional wannabes who do not have depth but act like one by putting others down :thumbsd::thumbsd::thumbsd:
Of course, seeing their responses are very entertaining, laughing and banging my table how many seniors here make a fool of themselves here :thumbsup::bsmilie:

For group shots
Use 350D + 18-55mm, sigma 500 flash
Manual mode, f5.6 1/30 to 1/60sec, ISO 400 to 800 depend on environment lighting
Flash with diffuse or bounce card , keep close distance to the group

For stage event or candid shots
Use 350D + 85mm, sigma 500 flash (optional)
Av mode, f1.8, check shutter speed > 1/80sec, ISO 1600

thks for the good response :thumbsup:

i am saddened to see this kind of thinking

"seniors must spoon feed newbies or they are bad"

I did not say seniors must spoon feed, if seniors do not answer direct to the questions,please don't post such comments and waste storage space. Everyone knows mother is a woman. Silly answers !!!

to be honest, best way to get out of this sh1t job is carry on give what you used to give, than you boss will realize your limitation in this area and hire someone else.

to improve your shots it is not an overnight things, you need lots of practice before you able to deliver something decent, not just by a few words given by us.

i see nothing very discouraging by his reply

he is giving an honest opinion and some decent advice

Quite a number of the senior members here are utterly rude and IMO if you sieve through their contributions, this is what you get :
1) Search google lah
2) Searh the forum lah
I always wonder why is there a google search link in this forum. Never seen this feature in any other forums, be it whether it is of the same hobby or not. Then I realise this forum caters very well to the sickly culture of some professional wannabes who do not have depth but act like one by putting others down :thumbsd::thumbsd::thumbsd:
Of course, seeing their responses are very entertaining, laughing and banging my table how many seniors here make a fool of themselves here :thumbsup::bsmilie:

your accusation of being utterly rude is not right

item 1, 2 and 4 are not rude

using google to search for answers first is always the best option
there are hundreds if not thousands of articles which have already answered the question
being here a longer time means that we have already answered these questions many many times

just ask the other members if they have benefited from doing a search.

1) Search google lah
2) Searh the forum lah
I always wonder why is there a google search link in this forum. Never seen this feature in any other forums, be it whether it is of the same hobby or not. Then I realise this forum caters very well to the sickly culture of some professional wannabes who do not have depth but act like one by putting others down
I don see why the senior members would want to help someone who don even give their slight effort in search for the answer, its as good as spoon feeding...
and yes, most of the answer can be easily found either by using the search function in this forum, by google or even stickies...

its just like a student asking teacher for answer without even looking at the textbook for answer... :thumbsd:

to be a neutral party here ... it puzzle me why would this would be considered as a "SH!T job" and worse of all, even suggesting boss to hire someone else better to do the job?! ... i am sure nivlac are running into some difficulies and he is simply wants a quick answer.

come on... we all been through this stage of frustration and exploring.. these words are just like father telling his son... if you cant talk properly please shut up. it is very discourgaing... very demoralising. Clubsnap should be a warmth place where we all shared & treats each like fathers (senior members) and sons (new freshies) ... it is quite sad to sound so hostile here!! As a senior member, you should further more guide us to a better path to attain your level.

you may not feel that way when you write but as a neutral reader in this forum, i cant help but to feel that it is rather broken-hearted to hear some seniors telling "if you cant shot, please admit and get your client to find someone else better" .

Back to Nivlac, you may like to search around for answers before posting next time in Clubsnap, perhaps you may get what you want faster and perhaps better.

to be a neutral party here ... it puzzle me why would this would be considered as a "SH!T job" and worse of all, even suggesting boss to hire someone else better to do the job?! ... i am sure nivlac are running into some difficulies and he is simply wants a quick answer.

come on... we all been through this stage of frustration and exploring.. these words are just like father telling his son... if you cant talk properly please shut up. it is very discourgaing... very demoralising. Clubsnap should be a warmth place where we all shared & treats each like fathers (senior members) and sons (new freshies) ... it is quite sad to sound so hostile here!! As a senior member, you should further more guide us to a better path to attain your level.

you may not feel that way when you write but as a neutral reader in this forum, i cant help but to feel that it is rather broken-hearted to hear some seniors telling "if you cant shot, please admit and get your client to find someone else better" .

Back to Nivlac, you may like to search around for answers before posting next time in Clubsnap, perhaps you may get what you want faster and perhaps better.

hi william,

i propose that we do not project any expectations to clubsnap forums. you might have joined clubsnap thinking it's a warm family, but this forum is technically a tool for us to communicate. it doesn't come with warmth factor. i think it's fair if we do not drag the forum down as responsible for any unfriendliness.

meanwhile, it's not possible to observe any non-verbal or body langauge from words, there is a chance that you might not find the same "harsh" comment harsh at all when it's spoken to you. simply cos the context and tone plays a part in helping you understand the meaning of the message. as it's not possible here, let's try our best to give the benefit of the doubt that all messages are well intended. UNLESS the advice is something like "goondu, go search yourself", where there is already some form of derogratory agenda.

as for "it is rather broken-hearted to hear some seniors telling "if you cant shot, please admit and get your client to find someone else better" ."

i can interpret it as a worst case scenario advice that any friend could have given me too. and he didn't exactly phrase it this way did he?

cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.