How to shoot good n nice soccer action pics??

Status
Not open for further replies.

absoluthal

Mar 14, 2006
harlem.multiply.com
hello there, i m a newbie here and just got my dslr few days ago....
as the title suggest, wat can i do to really take a nice soccer action pics like u always
see in the newspapers?
hopefully to get tips from fellow CSers here.... THANKS IN ADVANCE... ;)

1st, you may need a long lens, that kind that can reach 200mm or 300mm kind. Otherwise, u can't really zoom into the action. Well, i guess u can still make do with whatever lens u have creatively.

2nd, use Shutter Priority lor. Make sure u do correct EV (Exposure Compensation) on ur cam b4 u take pictures. Pls ask the expert here whatz the minimum shutter speed to freeze sports action bcuz i haven't shoot any sports yet. :bsmilie: I think 1/400 should be ok baa.

basically, as a spectator siting in the stands at the stadium, its very very very very hard for u to take good soccer pics.

Those nice pics u see in the newspaper are taking by the press people, who have the official pass to stand just 2m away from the pitch to shoot the action.

Take a good look at the lens ppl use to shoot the sports pics u see in newspaper: http://www.pbase.com/vthian/athens_olympics_2004&page=all

secondly, the pic u see in the newspaper are taken by fast good lens. a 70-200 f2.8 lens is the minimum length they used. 70-200 f2.8 lens is used by the press ppl to shoot corner kicks.

but for shots with action at midfield and beyond, they use 500mm f4, 400 f2.8 or 600f4

thirdly, remember again that u can only shoot from being a spectator on the grand stand. This means that u are very very far away. even if u use a 300mm lens, the soccer player just appear as "quite" acceptable size (but still small). u got to use at least a 500mm or 600mm lens or even long lens if u are at the spectator stand. the sigma 300-800mm f5.6 is good for this.

lastly, even if u have the long lens, remember that its a LONG lens, and its very hard for u to set it up at the place where u are sitting...u can easily poke the ppl siting in front of u.

So in essence wat i m trying to say is that, u wont be able to shoot the kind of pics u see in the newspaper, unless u have the press pass to shoot from the sidelines.

There is only one kind of pic that u can shoot decently, shoot the pretty babes that is among the spectators.

hello there, i m a newbie here and just got my dslr few days ago....
as the title suggest, wat can i do to really take a nice soccer action pics like u always
see in the newspapers?
hopefully to get tips from fellow CSers here.... THANKS IN ADVANCE... ;)

The lenses used to shoot those pics are not cheap, they are often the premium line in the manufacturers' telephoto lineup

300f2.8 - ~7k
400f2.8/500f4/600f4/ - >10k

What would be more realistic for a hobbyist would be to get a 300f4 and shoot with a higher ISO. A 300f4 should cost ~2k

ok.... thanks for the fast response..... i appreciate that.
i forget to say that i'm thinking of taking soccer actions pics of weekend soccer teams.
the teams that play at the school field.....
;)

ok.... thanks for the fast response..... i appreciate that.
i forget to say that i'm thinking of taking soccer actions pics of weekend soccer teams.
the teams that play at the school field.....
;)

aiya, then like tat much more simple affair already. I suppose the ppl in the teams are all ur friends rite?

ok first thing first, which system are u using? nikon, canon, olympus, sony?

second thing, wat is ur budget?

third thing, besides shooting the soccer action, wat else do u like to shoot?

fourth thing, wat is the time that they play soccer? do they kick at night or in the morning/late afternoon?

yes correct..they r all my frends...

1) i'm using a nikon d80 kit....
2)my budget is limited..... snce i just bought the kit...
3)beside soccer actions, im into scenery, people etc..
4)they playing at 9 am... hopefully its gonna be a bright sunny day...

thanks kcuf2 for ur time.....

if they are all ur frends, then u can run along the sidelines of the soccer pitch, from behind the goalposts to anyway along the rectangle box to get the best picture :)

so in this case if u are using the nikon D80 and at 9am and since u like to shoot people portraits, maybe u can conside the AF-D 80-200mm f2.8 or AF-S 70-200mm f2.8 or Sigma 70-200mm f2.8 HSM....

i dint choose lens that dint have a large apeture like f2.8 because this f2.8 allows u blur the background when shooting ppl.. more beautiful portraits

maybe the sigma 70-200mm f2.8 HSM would be better for u for ur tight budget.

if they are all ur frends, then u can run along the sidelines of the soccer pitch, from behind the goalposts to anyway along the rectangle box to get the best picture :)

so in this case if u are using the nikon D80 and at 9am and since u like to shoot people portraits, maybe u can conside the AF-D 80-200mm f2.8 or AF-S 70-200mm f2.8 or Sigma 70-200mm f2.8 HSM....

i dint choose lens that dint have a large apeture like f2.8 because this f2.8 allows u blur the background when shooting ppl.. more beautiful portraits

maybe the sigma 70-200mm f2.8 HSM would be better for u for ur tight budget.

ok...thanks.
point taken.
wat abt the settings??

you can consider the sigma 100-300 f4 as well... cost is about the same as the 70-200 f2.8 brother.

ok...thanks.
point taken.
wat abt the settings??

For soccer/sports, i think can only use M or S mode.

If u use S mode (Shutter Priority), i think set the shutter speed to 1/400, use Matrix Metering & EV -1. (98% of the time, i use A mode n i have to set EV -1 for proper exposure on my D80) In S mode, u can't control aperture, hence depth of field. But u dun have to worry much about light compensation; especially more so, now cloudy, u dun know when the sun will come out or not from the dark clouds!

In M mode:
1. To focus on the player/action n blur everything else, use F2.8 n set the shutter speed to 1/400. Get a white paper n modify ur ISO accordingly so that the paper become +2 in ur analog light meter u see in ur viewfinder.
2. To have panaromic shots or u want to see all the players, increase ur aperture to as much as you can & again u will have to modify ur ISO accordingly.
[In M mode, u need to constantly monitor the sun! :bsmilie: ]

If all things fail, u still have Photoshop to redeem yourself. :lovegrin:

For soccer/sports, i think can only use M or S mode.

If u use S mode (Shutter Priority), i think set the shutter speed to 1/400, use Matrix Metering & EV -1. (98% of the time, i use A mode n i have to set EV -1 for proper exposure on my D80) In S mode, u can't control aperture, hence depth of field. But u dun have to worry much about light compensation; especially more so, now cloudy, u dun know when the sun will come out or not from the dark clouds!

In M mode:
1. To focus on the player/action n blur everything else, use F2.8 n set the shutter speed to 1/400. Get a white paper n modify ur ISO accordingly so that the paper become +2 in ur analog light meter u see in ur viewfinder.
2. To have panaromic shots or u want to see all the players, increase ur aperture to as much as you can & again u will have to modify ur ISO accordingly.
[In M mode, u need to constantly monitor the sun! :bsmilie: ]

If all things fail, u still have Photoshop to redeem yourself. :lovegrin:

thanks raymond for ur guidance...... and to all who replied...
anyway still got more than 12 hours to look up for tips...
will do wat said as above.....
check out for few of my samples in future...
thanks again.;)

thanks raymond for ur guidance...... and to all who replied...
anyway still got more than 12 hours to look up for tips...
will do wat said as above.....
check out for few of my samples in future...
thanks again.;)

you can go lords later in the afternoon go grab a 70-200 f2.8 or 300 f2.8.

but i feel 3fps kinda slow if u blast....

but i feel 3fps kinda slow if u blast....

wah lao dun tempt ppl buy D2Xs la... :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil:

should try from the basic first, getting to the mountain top too fast, you will find yourself no where mayb after a while

Wah, the way u say it like can easily come out with $1.4K to buy a lens! :bigeyes: :bsmilie:

Wah, the way u say it like can easily come out with $1.4K to buy a lens! :bigeyes: :bsmilie:
I would :heart: to pay S$1.4k for a 300mm f2.8 or 70-200VR. any deal? ;p

i must be dreaming if i can get either of them at S$1.4k
AF-S VR 70-200mm f/2.8G IF ED - $2750
AF-S 300mm f/2.8D IF-ED II (non-VR) - $6350

from the holy price guide

I would :heart: to pay S$1.4k for a 300mm f2.8 or 70-200VR. any deal? ;p

i must be dreaming if i can get either of them at S$1.4k
AF-S VR 70-200mm f/2.8G IF ED - $2750
AF-S 300mm f/2.8D IF-ED II (non-VR) - $6350

from the holy price guide

I was referring to the Sigma version. :embrass:
Nikkor lenses r out of my league.. :bheart:

Want to try the 25fps???

they are a differnet league...how to compare...have you ask yourself why there are TV camera and photographer on the same soccer pitch...

Status
Not open for further replies.