how to shoot for sports?

Status
Not open for further replies.

demolishf1

Oct 31, 2006
sports day in my skool on the 20th. i just got EOS 300d from my friend today. tested abit. can see differences once i set ISO. i'm at home, so havent test outside yet.

anyone with same model or not, can advise me on what settings should i use? dont worry i will understand. i got e manual in my hand, easy to follow.

slow shutter speed all these? would appreciate tips. i wna shoot running, finishing line, and people's faces focused but blurred bg etc. and candid stressed up faces too.

What lens do you currently have? Try to shoot at the largest aperture (smallest f number) and af in ai-servo mode.....

What lens do you currently have? Try to shoot at the largest aperture (smallest f number) and af in ai-servo mode.....

efs 17-85mm. not big but still works. i'm not shooting from far though.

Erm, if possible, set the Manual Focusing point to the middle... faster focusing on the subject. You can always recompose during pp.

My set up for sport is
-change single to continue shot
-af-s to af-c
-shuttle speed ard 1/60~1/40 to get blur effect
-half press, follow the subject
if wan all sharp, then higher up iso and get high shuttle speed
Cheers

pardon me. but continue shot is the many frames right?

what's af-s to af-c?

pardon me. but continue shot is the many frames right?

what's af-s to af-c?

tracking of focus. once you fix your focus point, AF-S will fix the focus at that (single) distance no matter how you frame, while AF-C will automatically continuously track the subject that is in focus as it moves, maintaining the subject in focus until you snap the shutter release.

AF-S and AF-C are nikon terms rite? threadstarter using Canon leh. Or does Canon use the same terms?

On canon its called AI-Servo but be warned that the tracking ona 300D is not very accurate... should be okas your DOF is still quite large.

sports day in my skool on the 20th. i just got EOS 300d from my friend today. tested abit. can see differences once i set ISO. i'm at home, so havent test outside yet.

anyone with same model or not, can advise me on what settings should i use? dont worry i will understand. i got e manual in my hand, easy to follow.

slow shutter speed all these? would appreciate tips. i wna shoot running, finishing line, and people's faces focused but blurred bg etc. and candid stressed up faces too.
there are 2 ways to shoot sports,

1) freezing of motion
-wide open, or near wide open
-fastest shutter speed that is appropriate, don't have to be super fast because these are people still
-adjust iso accordingly
-use flash if possible
-the key point here is shutter speed, should be as quick as possible to freeze motion, but not necessarily to the extent of 1/4000 second
-anticipate the correct moment, and click before it happens
-focus potentially a problem

2) panning/capture of motion
-not quite as easy to execute, needs experience
-shutter speed can be extended, but to a certain extent that does not bring hand shake into the equation
-variable aperture and iso, your choice, depends on how good your panning is
-flash should not be used, will give ghosting effect
-extended shutter speed and proper panning will give you a relatively sharp subject with a blurred background to intorduce "sense of motion"
-key here is your panning.. learn how to do it, where to do it, and well, do it.

there are 2 ways to shoot sports,

1) freezing of motion
-wide open, or near wide open
-fastest shutter speed that is appropriate, don't have to be super fast because these are people still
-adjust iso accordingly
-use flash if possible
-the key point here is shutter speed, should be as quick as possible to freeze motion, but not necessarily to the extent of 1/4000 second
-anticipate the correct moment, and click before it happens
-focus potentially a problem

2) panning/capture of motion
-not quite as easy to execute, needs experience
-shutter speed can be extended, but to a certain extent that does not bring hand shake into the equation
-variable aperture and iso, your choice, depends on how good your panning is
-flash should not be used, will give ghosting effect
-extended shutter speed and proper panning will give you a relatively sharp subject with a blurred background to intorduce "sense of motion"
-key here is your panning.. learn how to do it, where to do it, and well, do it.

i'm going with 1. i tried 2 few days ago but failed. blurry, due to slightest handshakes. probably i'm not using the full use of shutter speed, aperture and iso. i tried it at night, no time in e day. will practice 2 on cars in e day.

tried 2 for cars and failed, after playing with apertures, shutters and ISOs. will try more.

i'm going with 1. i tried 2 few days ago but failed. blurry, due to slightest handshakes. probably i'm not using the full use of shutter speed, aperture and iso. i tried it at night, no time in e day. will practice 2 on cars in e day.

tried 2 for cars and failed, after playing with apertures, shutters and ISOs. will try more.

at night it might be pretty hard to pan, since there is not enough light available.. i would imagine that panning at night might require significant exposure timings which would be literally impossible to do.

actually even at night 1 might not be quite easy.. lighting is not suitable at all, maybe if you want to shoot cars at night, make sure you are positioned at a location where the lighting is brighter, i.e. at the spot where there is lamppost? :dunno:

at night it might be pretty hard to pan, since there is not enough light available.. i would imagine that panning at night might require significant exposure timings which would be literally impossible to do.

actually even at night 1 might not be quite easy.. lighting is not suitable at all, maybe if you want to shoot cars at night, make sure you are positioned at a location where the lighting is brighter, i.e. at the spot where there is lamppost? :dunno:

no wonder. my exp and aperture dont want to accept my settings at all. cause not enough light. and e lamp post didnt help either. i will try in e day maybe tmr.

can't wait to shoot tmr. i will come back soon with pics of tmr or later. since my flash card reader is not transferring to my comp. tsk. i dont care how bad pics tmr might be, i just started on dslr. ;)

can't wait to shoot tmr. i will come back soon with pics of tmr or later. since my flash card reader is not transferring to my comp. tsk. i dont care how bad pics tmr might be, i just started on dslr. ;)

yes, even dslrs have limits.

just keep shooting, and being self-critical (not overly so though).. and you will improve in no time. :) practice makes perfect!

yes, even dslrs have limits.

just keep shooting, and being self-critical (not overly so though).. and you will improve in no time. :) practice makes perfect!

i'm practicing on panning. i used "sports" mode today under basic modes and did a somewhat panning shot. auto, not manual. still trying to practice manual on moving people and cars with apertures, shutters and whatnots. pics soon. still sorting out.

On canon its called AI-Servo but be warned that the tracking ona 300D is not very accurate... should be okas your DOF is still quite large.

If he is using a large aperture, shouldn't the DOF be small?

Status
Not open for further replies.