How to Shoot Firework??

lkf73

Apr 8, 2004
Thanks. This is very good info.

Would it be the same settings for fireworks?

lkf73 said:

Some basics are the same, but you will need more stuffs like the black card for it

1) Fireworks Photography Tips
2) 11 Tips for Sparkling Fireworks Photos | Photojojo
3) 10 Fireworks Photography Tips « Photofocus

The three website in the abovementioned references are very well written.

For me, I normally do the following,

1) Set my cam on a sturdy tripod (predict where the firework is going to happen, and position camera there)
2) Set to aperture mode (normally fireworks are pretty far away, I would just set my aperture to f4 to around f11 depending on where I am and what is the condition)
3) Set speed to bulb mode (really difficult to set speed)
4) Turn off my IS (if any)
5) Prefocus, then turn the lens to manual focus so the focus don't change.
6) Cover your viewfinder so that no light will leak into your camera
7) Start snapping away when firework start... but try to keep the shutter speed low, or risk overexposing.

Also hope that the wind direction don't change and blow towards you or the smoke will come your way... which is very very bad.

Also read about the black card techniques too.

Last edited:

1. This is not your thread. Why are you crashing it?
2. For fireworks, we have about 200 threads that discuss it. Just do a search on CS for "fireworks".

If I'm not wrong you need to use the bulb mode and off-camera shutter release (good to have)..

SkyStrike said:
Some basics are the same, but you will need more stuffs like the black card for it

Black card isn't necessary. Depends on what you want to capture

Black card isn't necessary. Depends on what you want to capture

No black card. Cam + tripod, shoot in bulb mode exposure 7-8 secs.

4823822545_4df3a897a6.jpg

Of cos the timing (know when to squeeze the trigger and let go) is crucial... so the fireworks smoke wun gets in your way. My old shot above still have some smoke though.

sinned79 said:
No black card. Cam + tripod, shoot in bulb mode exposure 7-8 secs.

Of cos the timing (know when to squeeze the trigger and let go) is crucial... so the fireworks smoke wun gets in your way. My old shot above still have some smoke though.

Let us please not continue to derail the thread. The fireworks question was asked by a thread crasher, not the ts.

Thanks for all the tips. Now I know why my pics always overexposed! Aperture is too big.

Din realize it's OT as thought it's related to night photography too.

Sorry if it offended anyone

Thanks for all the tips. Now I know why my pics always overexposed! Aperture is too big.

I know this is OT... but still have the last input.

It is not that aperture is too big that is always the cause for overexposure. Shutter speed, location of yourself, nearby lighting, metering and smoke plays an important part too.

Last edited:

TS is asking about Night photography,

firework can be another topic by itself, so best if you can start your own enquiry instead of piggyback on other member's thread.

1) Fireworks Photography Tips
2) 11 Tips for Sparkling Fireworks Photos | Photojojo
3) 10 Fireworks Photography Tips « Photofocus

The three website in the abovementioned references are very well written.

For me, I normally do the following,

1) Set my cam on a sturdy tripod (predict where the firework is going to happen, and position camera there)
2) Set to aperture mode (normally fireworks are pretty far away, I would just set my aperture to f4 to around f11 depending on where I am and what is the condition)
3) Set speed to bulb mode (really difficult to set speed)
4) Turn off my IS (if any)
5) Prefocus, then turn the lens to manual focus so the focus don't change.
6) Cover your viewfinder so that no light will leak into your camera
7) Start snapping away when firework start... but try to keep the shutter speed low, or risk overexposing.

Also hope that the wind direction don't change and blow towards you or the smoke will come your way... which is very very bad.

Also read about the black card techniques too.

why need to off IS? thanks

buzzmario said:
why need to off IS? thanks

When you are on a tripod, the IS can cause shake as it tries to expect vibrations. This is in your manual. Please read.

1st step:

Set your camera on a sturdy tripod.

2nd step:

Set to Aperture Priority - might be denoted by 'A' in your mode dial.

3rd step:

Set your aperture to... say around f8

4th step:

Set your ISO value to around 200, best is 100 (that is... if your camera support it).

5th step:

Switch off your image stabilizing system

6th step:

Take your photo.

7th step:

Preview it... if found too dark, then step up your EV then take photo again.

There this is the steps that I normally do when shooting night landscape.

thanks rhino for the reason of off the IS. btw, as i google, taking night shoot, will it be better using M mode, using the low shutter speed to control the lighting into the sensor rather than using A mode? thanks

thanks rhino for the reason of off the IS. btw, as i google, taking night shoot, will it be better using M mode, using the low shutter speed to control the lighting into the sensor rather than using A mode? thanks

If the correct exposure for the scene is Aperture F8, Shutter 6s, ISO100, it does not matter if you used M/S/A or any other mode to get there ;)

Use the mode that you are most comfortable with. Though in most cameras Aperture or Shutter Priority mode there are limitations like the amount of exposure compensation you can dial in, so in this sense Manual mode more flexible.

I'm no expert but I tend to use Aperture priority mode to meter the scene, then use manual mode to adjust exposure as needed.

If the correct exposure for the scene is Aperture F8, Shutter 6s, ISO100, it does not matter if you used M/S/A or any other mode to get there ;)

Use the mode that you are most comfortable with. Though in most cameras Aperture or Shutter Priority mode there are limitations like the amount of exposure compensation you can dial in, so in this sense Manual mode more flexible.

I'm no expert but I tend to use Aperture priority mode to meter the scene, then use manual mode to adjust exposure as needed.

Why not just use Manual mode and meter? Set ISO and aperture and adjust shutter accordingly until the exposure meter says it's at 0EV?

Anyways, what the meter says may not be the correct exposure or the exposure you prefer. Another way to check is use LV to check.

Why not just use Manual mode and meter? Set ISO and aperture and adjust shutter accordingly until the exposure meter says it's at 0EV?

Anyways, what the meter says may not be the correct exposure or the exposure you prefer. Another way to check is use LV to check.

because due to the darkness of the land, 0EV can even be underexposed. and darkness of the land also refers to mountains, buildings etc.

i tend to hit +0.7EV when i do night photography.

Actually, you just take multiple shots until you gwt a combination of settings that give the output you want.

Actually, you just take multiple shots until you gwt a combination of settings that give the output you want.

that, too.

@TS, to explain further what Rashkae means:

you need to explore exposure to find which is the perfect balance of brightness and darkness (or highlights and shadows) that you want. so it can appear as -xxEV or 0EV or +xxEV.

in the end, it's up to you