How to shoot fast moving objects?

random person

Nov 22, 2008
Just started shooting fast moving objects (ie airplanes), usually at great distances (i.e. maximum zoom).

I'm not using a DSLR, but rather some 2nd hand Panasonic FZ35. So far, most of the pictures I'm taking come out like this (cropped already):

random%252520sia%252520a330.jpg

A close up:

lol2.jpg

Sometimes I also shoot with things in the background :

P1060965.JPG

Fine detail (eg registration number) blurred, plenty of noise.

I'm still not sure how to play with the settings - other than ISO (which I set to lowest), PASM and the different types of Auto Focus. Normally I shoot at max zoom (486mm?) high shutter speed (1/800), large aperture (4.4 - biggest for max zoom), lowest possible ISO (80), the default Auto Focus and I dunno what else.

What should I do then to rectify this problem? My panning isn't very good (still training myself to track objects) I'm definitely not expecting commercial quality pictures, but I'm quite sure something can be improved somewhere.

Thanks.

1. Your shots look a bit underexposed
2. That is the "normal" noise pattern for compact cameras.

it's your camera limitation. time for you to upgrade to a DSLR, even an entry level DSLR will performs 10 times better then your existing point and shoot in this aspect.

it's your camera limitation. time for you to upgrade to a DSLR, even an entry level DSLR will performs 10 times better then your existing point and shoot in this aspect.

Agreed. You could get a 2nd hand A290 and 75-300mm lens for less than 500.

Oh i see. Another shot I dug out seems to have the same pattern:

Long exposure shots taken from my house at evening / night:

P1060872.JPG

P1040106.JPG

Interestingly, my $80 Canon A720 had less noise than this.....I find it a bit hard to believe.

SIA%252520B777-312%2525209V-SYE.jpg

looks like this is the limit this camera is able to produce.

even with a dslr, if you blow a photo up big enough, you can still see noise (grains) but the difference is, you have to blow it up much bigger.

what you can do is avoid digital zoom and use only optical zoom for your camera.

why upgrade? Read the specs of your existing camera -> http://www.dpreview.com/products/panasonic/compacts/panasonic_dmcfz35

Your maximum ISO is 1600, but you need to understand the differences in sensor size btw a point and shoot and a DSLR sensor, DSLR sensor size is bigger and more noise (grainy photos) tolerant then a point and shoot, hence, ISO 1600 for both cameras very big difference.

Next, a point and shoot actually uses digital zoom instead of optical zoom especially for air planes, digital zoom will degrades your photo quality quite bad as compared to the telephoto lens used by a DSLR, when u zoom, its optical zoom, no impact at photo quality.

still not convinced? Go borrow a DSLR with a zoom lens from your friend and compare the results.

Point and Shoot vs DSLR sensor size
275px-SensorSizes.svg.png

Your FZ35 belongs to the lower level u see in the picture below.

Compact camera has its limits.. This is unfortunately one of them, noise control...

You can always do post-production noise reduction, e.g. Noise Ninja.. It will help, but this is ultimately an equipment issue, frankly.

That said, unless you wish to do large prints, I won't be too concerned about it... Some of my favourite photos are still taken with a compact camera, and they look great at web-size, and even with 8R prints.

if u shot the first photo recently, take into account recently weather is hazy, that will affects light condition.

so u cannot compare with the second photo u took which had a better weather condition.

if u are really into shooting air planes, u should invest on an entry level DSLR with a telephoto lens, u will be thankful with this advise i gave u.

Thanks for all the advice. I'll probably start saving up for a DSLR, probably from the B&S side.

TS,

I find the scenery in the photos very familiar....
I think we stay in the same neighbourhood!

I can let you try my nikon d5100 if you like since we stay so near. haha :D