How to shoot dragonfly and butterfly

jeffreychan76

Oct 6, 2008
Woodlands
Hi guys,

I'm using nikon DSLR with Tamron 90 mm to shoot flowers and insects. Insects are too difficult to shoot especially dragonfly n butterfly. Whenever I tried to shoot them, they flew away.

Can the experts advise me what are the factors to shoot those beautiful insects?

I find it quite easy to shoot dragonfly with my 75mm to 300mm zoom lens.

It is even easier to shoot such insects with a 20X Super Zoom Camera.

Last edited:
I find it quite easy to shoot dragonfly with my 75mm to 300mm zoom lens.

It is even easier to shoot such insects with a 20X Super Zoom Camera.
Thanks. I do have 70-300mm. Never think of that.

Hi Jeffrey. Shooting insects can be very difficult at times, you just have to be very patience and i am sure you can achieve what you want. Some insects are very skittish and i am sure you will come across drangonfly for you on a close up shots. Keep shooting. Cheers.:)

Hi guys,

I'm using nikon DSLR with Tamron 90 mm to shoot flowers and insects. Insects are too difficult to shoot especially dragonfly n butterfly. Whenever I tried to shoot them, they flew away.

Can the experts advise me what are the factors to shoot those beautiful insects?

move as slow as the clouds.
breath as light as the breeze..
stop shaking. :bsmilie:
and follow uncle sunny's advice for the butterflies..
df's tend to come back to the same perch if u stay still and behave..

ur eqpt is sufficient to get both
(not sure if u're using a fullframe, do hear ppl moan abt the extra amt of work needed to get get closer 8] )
maybe more target practice on spiders (they let u get v close) or in the butterfly parks where they're more used to flashing..
or caterpillars to familiarize urself with the eqpt!

lastly, they always say u're never close enough, so keep going closer.

Suggest to try HORT park.
As the butterfly garden is a "concealed area" most of them tends to settle down quite quickly.
Very often they fly away but comes back to the same location. So stay put for a while and when they comes back and they probably accept you as a friend ba.
Good luck.

Hi Jeff, this is the Gallery section...... your thread is in wrong section .... moved

Last edited:
During macro outings (organised by Jacobs), we usually surround the insect why 3-4 person. The insect will try to move away at first but after a few flash fired from 3-4 cameras, the insect seemed "stunned" and stayed still!

Maybe you can try?:)

alf626 said:
Hi Jeffrey. Shooting insects can be very difficult at times, you just have to be very patience and i am sure you can achieve what you want. Some insects are very skittish and i am sure you will come across drangonfly for you on a close up shots. Keep shooting. Cheers.:)

Thanks bro

kuanwk said:
move as slow as the clouds.
breath as light as the breeze..
stop shaking. :bsmilie:
and follow uncle sunny's advice for the butterflies..
df's tend to come back to the same perch if u stay still and behave..

ur eqpt is sufficient to get both
(not sure if u're using a fullframe, do hear ppl moan abt the extra amt of work needed to get get closer 8] )
maybe more target practice on spiders (they let u get v close) or in the butterfly parks where they're more used to flashing..
or caterpillars to familiarize urself with the eqpt!

lastly, they always say u're never close enough, so keep going closer.

Sound like hunting...thanks bro

wongcho said:
Suggest to try HORT park.
As the butterfly garden is a "concealed area" most of them tends to settle down quite quickly.
Very often they fly away but comes back to the same location. So stay put for a while and when they comes back and they probably accept you as a friend ba.
Good luck.

好点子。thanks

chillicutter said:
During macro outings (organised by Jacobs), we usually surround the insect why 3-4 person. The insect will try to move away at first but after a few flash fired from 3-4 cameras, the insect seemed "stunned" and stayed still!

Maybe you can try?:)

No problem. I'll try

The key point is to understand your subject.

Butterflies are skitterish during the afternoon and will not settle easily for you to take any decent pics. It's best to shoot them early in the morning or late afternoon when they are more in a state of semi-rest.

Same goes for dragonflies but they tend to hover near water areas and will rest on the same perch over and over again if you allow them to.

Go spot them in the fields or gardens over a couple of days and you'll know them better. :)

This particular breed of dragonfly allows me to get within 5" to 6". They can be found at Admiralty Park.

DSC00035.jpg

DSC04391.jpg

Butterflies are skitterish during the afternoon and will not settle easily for you to take any decent pics. It's best to shoot them early in the morning or late afternoon when they are more in a state of semi-rest.

:thumbsup: This is solid advice. You ask a question and you got an answer :) A longer lens with macro capability would increase your chances too. Getting too near and they will just fly away.