How to shoot children in their motion ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LavenderTea

Feb 8, 2008
It's always so hard to get the child in focus.. esp when they are in motion... if ask them not to move.. they look so unnatural....
Can advise wrt to aperature/shutterspeed for the best shoot a) indoor & b) outdoor?
Does panning works for hyperactive child ( just a thought ) ?:)

Hi..

That depend on the condition or enviroment u took place. For me its better to have 1 or 2 person to involve in shooting. The issued that the kid need to focus thier parent or guardian not u. Or get something to make them happy. The word is patient.. Cheers.

Since you are using DSLR A200, recommend to get an ext flash.
My DSLR A200 has external hotshoe..how much it cost and which brand better ?

You can pre-focus, and anticipate the child's next movement.

bring them to playground, let them be themself,
and you need fast focus lens, flash, plus fast (finger) respond.
not forgetting you also need patient, patient and patient.

bring them to playground, let them be themself,
and you need fast focus lens, flash, plus fast (finger) respond.
not forgetting you also need patient, patient and patient.
what's you mean by fast focus lens ? can advise me
Flash ? even during the daytime ? i can concerned about unnatural light on their faces..
Fast (finger) respond...err can use continuous shooting or not

Get a fast focusing lens (USM, SSM, SWM ). Set your focus to Ai Servo (Or Continous focus or whatever it is called on your system). Make sure you have sufficient shutter or get a lens with large aperture. After that all you can do is wait for the time to come lol.

Would personally get a fast lens that can do f/2.8 or even faster, and shoot wide open. Adjust for shutter speed accordingly, boosting ISO if necessary. Set AF mode to AI Servo and use Drive Mode.

After following some advice above, don't forget the no 1 rules: bring yourself to the same level of view with them, i.e in the same heigh with their heads / bodies. You can do it by sitting one the ground, squatting, or even lying on the floor.

Taking pictures of children from above (standing photographer) is the no 1 sin of children photography, except if you do it purposedly for any reason you have.

Happy snapping!

You can pre-focus, and anticipate the child's next movement.

or get the Olympus E3, the fastest focusing camera in the West and some say in the East as well.

Other than the gears like fast len, large aperture, high ISO, use of flash, etc :

- Shoot more (lots of patience) and select the good ones (20%) after you view on a larger monitor screen.

- You can try to catch childrens attention by saying something like "there is a butterfly on my head" which allows you catch their attention for that 1-2sec enough for you to snap a sharp and clear image.

It was also very challenging to even take a group photo of primary 1 children standing in front of you which I recently found out - some would close eyes on purpose, turn heads sideway, look down, etc - so again shoot more and pick the best.

Have lots fun and enjoy ! :bsmilie:

what's you mean by fast focus lens ? can advise me
Flash ? even during the daytime ? i can concerned about unnatural light on their faces..
Fast (finger) respond...err can use continuous shooting or not
fast focus lens, which a lens can focus very fast, like as if you don't have to wait for the lens to lock on the focusing.

using flash, you have to dial the flash output slightly lower, to use the flash as a fill flash, so it will light up the shadow areas and looks very natural.

yes you can shoot in continuous mode, but you still have to react fast to their movement.

here are some shots, #1, #2, I did it with flash.

and here are some shots done with a prime lens known of very slow in focusing, and shoot without flash.

Hope this help.

ever try shooting them in panning mode?

or get the Olympus E3, the fastest focusing camera in the West and some say in the East as well.

Trolling statement.
Reported:sticktong

fast focus lens, which a lens can focus very fast, like as if you don't have to wait for the lens to lock on the focusing.

using flash, you have to dial the flash output slightly lower, to use the flash as a fill flash, so it will light up the shadow areas and looks very natural.

yes you can shoot in continuous mode, but you still have to react fast to their movement.

here are some shots, #1, #2, I did it with flash.

and here are some shots done with a prime lens known of very slow in focusing, and shoot without flash.

Hope this help.
Is prime lens same as fast lens same as fixed lens...??such as Sigma 30/1.4

Status
Not open for further replies.