How to shoot....Candid ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hermie

Jan 25, 2006
SINJON
I need to shoot a Candid Potrait shot of a person in a shop. Shoot the interior of a shop also. How do I go about doing so ? Do I need a flash, what kind of lenses ? Lightings etc ?? Its an school assignment

HELP ! anyone...

Thanks !

Candid is easy...just walk up to the person and suddely whip out the camera and take a shot.Wala, you have a candid.

Choosing lenses will be based on the perspective and DOF you want, and the amount of ambient lighting you can get in the shop.
If the amount of ambient lighting in the shop is low, you might want to consider a big aperture lens that allows you to get a good handholdable speed, using ambient light.Or you can simply use a flash.But I personally prefer the former.

If you are thinking of ''snipering'' him/her, then I guess you have to go tele which also translates to a big aperture lens for enough light and I'm sure you wont use flash if you are a ''sniper'' right?

But since you talk about shooting interiors, then it is most probable that you have permission for shooting.
What I would suggest is that before you do the actual, go down and have a good understanding of the shop and the person first.Work out certain angles that you think would be intresting, shoot them.And then review your shots and go back and shoot again if you are not satisfied with them.

For interiors, I would suggest a ultra-wide angle lens.

And for shooting the person, a standard zoom would be pretty good, so that you can maintain your distance from the subject.

Candid is easy...just walk up to the guy and suddely whip out the camera and take a shot.Wala, you have a candid.

Choosing lenses will be based on the perspective and DOF you want, and the amount of ambient lighting you can get in the shop.
If the amount of ambient lighting in the shop is low, you might want to consider a big aperture lens that allows you to get a good handholdable speed, using ambient light.Or you can simply use a flash.But I personally prefer the former.

If you are thinking of ''snipering'' him, then I guess you have to go tele which also translates to a big aperture lens for enough light and I'm sure you wont use flash if you are a ''sniper'' right?

wat makes u think TS is referring to a 'him'? ;)

I need to shoot a Candid Potrait shot of a person in a shop. Shoot the interior of a shop also. How do I go about doing so ? Do I need a flash, what kind of lenses ? Lightings etc ?? Its an school assignment

HELP ! anyone...

Thanks !

Let me make one assumption. That you are not going to use a 800mm lens with 2x teleconvertor mounted on a huge tripod from the opposite side of the road to take a candid picture of someone inside the shop. I will assume that you will be inside the shop to take the picture of the person, and also to take, presumably the insides of the shop.

You must remember that you have absolutely no right to go into a shop to take pictures. My suggestion to you is this. First talk to the person, explain your assignment, and hopefully you are permitted to take pictures there.

Then you wait. Wait. After a while, people will ignore your presence, and go about doing their things. You can then take your candids.

There are many different techniques. Individual preference. Personally I would just use a "fast" lens and high ISO. I dislike flash. I prefer ambient light.

Hi guys,

thanks for your comments and inputs.

i've requested permission and its allowed.

I'm concern about lighting, which is rather dark in certain areas.

Should I bring lights with me, but what kind of lights ?

Lenses, fish eye lens is it necessary ? I've 18mm- 50mm and 50 - 200mm...

ANy tips, recommendations etc...

we've to submit a written paper first on items we're going to use and why before we shoot it.

any response would be greatly appreciated..

thanks !!!

Hi guys,

we've to submit a written paper first on items we're going to use and why before we shoot it.

thanks !!!

Excellent!

These are my suggestions.

#1 Go and visit this shop several times - at different times. Study the going-ons in the shop. Study how the lights from windows affect the mood inside the shops. Easier said than done because I think you have little experience. But you have to know the place to best make use of it!

#2 Ask why you are taking pictures of the person and place. At its core, photography is expressing what you felt about the place and how you wish to express that feeling. Put in another way. This person and place must have some meaning to you, even though it is "just an assignment". What is this meaning? You alone can tell. I have absolutely no idea what this place is, and will not be able to advise you more.

So now, you have a certain perception of this place. Now what you have to do is to translate that perception/feeling/meaning to the pictures, in such a way that another person who look at your photographs will be able to experience what you felt about the person and place.

#3 Once you have settled the story you wish to tell, you can now decide the equipment you need to have.

For me, if I were to take a pictue of a person in a shop and the interiors of a shop, I will just stick to ONE lens, say something like a 35 mm f2.0. Because I will like to photograph this person in his/her context/environment. And the 35 mm will be useful for the interiors. I am talking about the "full-frame" equivalent of course. If you are using a DSLR with a crop factor, then adjsut that accordingly. Some people may prefer a wider lens like 28 mm, but the wider you are, the more the distortion. I will not bother with the fish eye which is nothing more than a gimmick.

#4 And while you are spending time in the shop before the shoot, take meterings of the place to see if you really need more light. Maybe a ISO 800 with a f2 might be sufficient.

Good luck!

Hi guys,

thanks !!!

errr erm...
u perpare till like tt consider candid meh? :bsmilie:
u wan shoot in shop call anyfrend who know them...
or buy some stuff from them. n explain to them ur purpose, then snap snap snap...:)
the last time i nded to take candid for sch work too, got my frend who know the auntie to tag along but the auntie refused to be photographed so sumtimes its luck too. ;)

Great guys, good stuff !!

You guys have provided me with sufficient info for now..

Appreciate it !

Regards..

Ask Jeanie to go down to the shop with you.

While he's looking at her big, erm, lens, you can shoot all the candids you want.

:bigeyes: :bigeyes: ..... :bsmilie: :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

Status
Not open for further replies.