How to shoot a water droplet


Status
Not open for further replies.

ckiang

Senior Member
Jan 17, 2002
6,405
0
36
47
Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
www.ckphoto.net
Hi,

As requested by Simon.



Taken by : Coolpix 950.

Recipe:
1. 1 Coolpix 9xx
2. 1 tap

Instrutions:
1. Adjust tap until a very tiny stream of water falls, then further finetune till it's just about to form individual drips, but still more or less a continuous stream. Somewhere in between.
2. Put camera in macro mode, then lock AF. Set shutter speed to 1/500, flash on.
3. Move camera towards/away from the water till it's in focus in the LCD.

Do
4. Press shutter.
5. Review shot

Until shot is good

Regards
CK
 

Darren

ClubSNAP Admin
Staff member
Jan 16, 2002
8,626
33
48
Melbourne
Nice. Thanks for the instructions.

How about some alternatives - like water drops hitting the surface - actually use milk is best cos white color, will have 3D definition.

:D
 

ckiang

Senior Member
Jan 17, 2002
6,405
0
36
47
Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
www.ckphoto.net
Originally posted by Darren
Nice. Thanks for the instructions.

How about some alternatives - like water drops hitting the surface - actually use milk is best cos white color, will have 3D definition.

:D
Another time, another day. :)

Actually I am kinda interested to shoot a balloon bursting. During my Ngee Ann days, I've built a sound activated switch, can probably use that to trigger a flash.....

Regards
CK
 

GoclPa

New Member
Jan 17, 2002
274
0
0
36
Pasir Ris, Singapore
you from ngee ann poly?
can a g2 canon if with addons do that kind of shots too?
 

C

cliveming

Guest
kaoz....nice photo, i like it.
 

ckiang

Senior Member
Jan 17, 2002
6,405
0
36
47
Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
www.ckphoto.net
Originally posted by GoclPa
you from ngee ann poly?
can a g2 canon if with addons do that kind of shots too?
I am pretty sure. After this post (inspired by another one actually) in www.dpreview.com, a lot of people have been shooting variations of it. G1 users have also successfully done it, so G2 should be able to too. Takes patience.

Yup, I was from Ngee Ann Poly, Electronics & Computer Engineering.

Regards
CK
 

Klause

Senior Member
Jan 17, 2002
1,417
0
0
36
Bedok
Visit site
Originally posted by ckiang


I am pretty sure. After this post (inspired by another one actually) in www.dpreview.com, a lot of people have been shooting variations of it. G1 users have also successfully done it, so G2 should be able to too. Takes patience.

Yup, I was from Ngee Ann Poly, Electronics & Computer Engineering.

Regards
CK
I am from IT dept =)
 

megaweb

Moderator
Staff member
Jan 17, 2002
8,541
3
38
East
megaweb.clubsnap.org
I also have IT (Image Tank) .. :D also graduated at Ngee Ann Poly, Electronics & Computer Engineering in 1991.

ckiang, great shot ...
 

Goose

Senior Member
Jan 18, 2002
589
0
16
Visit site
Originally posted by megaweb
I also have IT (Image Tank) .. :D also graduated at Ngee Ann Poly, Electronics & Computer Engineering in 1991.

ckiang, great shot ...
wah....ya my super super senior man......i also graduated from there in 1996!!!
 

ckiang

Senior Member
Jan 17, 2002
6,405
0
36
47
Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
www.ckphoto.net
Originally posted by Jason Ho
Sigh, the water drops always fall faster than my finger (click). :mad:
Patience is a must in this. And always, always prefocus and lock focus. Otherwise, there will be a very big shutter lag and you'll always miss it.

Regards
CK
 

P

Proximus

Guest
Originally posted by megaweb
I also have IT (Image Tank) .. :D also graduated at Ngee Ann Poly, Electronics & Computer Engineering in 1991.

ckiang, great shot ...
I'm also from ECE, grad in 1997. :)
We can form old sch boys liao.... :D
 

ckiang

Senior Member
Jan 17, 2002
6,405
0
36
47
Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
www.ckphoto.net
Hi,

For those interested, the original post on dpreview which inspired me to do my own. Original instructions inside too, unfortunately, original photo is no longer there.

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1007&message=105193

After this, it has become one of the "must shoot" photos in the dpreview Nikon Talk forum.

Regards
CK
 

Tony K

New Member
Jan 23, 2002
151
0
0
S'pore, AMK
Visit site
Me also from Ngee Ann Poly. ECE graduated 1994.

Been many years since I last went back.....
 

Blitz

New Member
Jan 18, 2002
517
0
0
43
Singapore
www.blitzstorm.com
Argh..... I seriously like this pic very much ckiang....if only my camera has closer macro range :(

20cm....think maybe take snowball still can :D
 

Status
Not open for further replies.