How to shoot 50 cars in 1 frame?

Status
Not open for further replies.

L.Lee

All,
I would like to seek your advice on how to shoot 50 cars in one frame :sweat: . I will be
doing a shooting for a car owner group this Sunday 3pm, in which I am also a member.

1. What is the preferred way to arrange the cars?
2. Shoot from which angle?
3. What other considerations?
4. Any volunteer would like to help in the shooting? Purely for hobby and fun only, please
PM or email: rku288@yahoo.com.sg

All suggestions are welcome. Thanks

Cheers

use fisheye

find a big multi storey parking building with open space on the top level. the carpark must be next to a high-rise HDB. try to get all the cars squeezed into that top level. get to the highest possible nearby building and shoot down from there! :sweat:

not sure whether feasible or not. just a hunch! up to u now for topo search! ;p

as for arrangements.
drawing ideas frm istclub

they form a V shape.
LHS 1st row all blue colour, RHS 1st row red col
so becomes an >>>>> shape (viewed from the side)

i suggest doing a Hyundai, where u divide the cars by their colour. the least cars for a certain colour (eg red) form a smaller circle.

then the next most popular colour form a circle ard it and so forth to form a concentric circle..

all these...assuming u got a big space

kallang carpark might be possible. height is the question.

Drive to the Marina site for the IR and shoot from Shears Bridge? But go back have to wash car :bsmilie:

Most big car parks r unable to fit a cohort of 50 on a sunday.

Great ideas are begining to flow in :thumbsup:. I do not question their feasibility at this point of time, the raw ideas will always trigger more great ideas, perhaps a more refined
ideas :). The current list of ideas:

1. Use fisheye lens - user111
2. Shoot from a helicopter - Del_CtrlnoAlt
3. Use top level of multi-storey carpark and shoot from near by taller building - NMSS2, 2nd
yanyewkay
4. Formation of 'V' and circle and sort by color - Murcielago
5. Find an open field and shoot from a near by tall building
6. Erect a platform if no tall building or use a hoist

Please keep the ideas flowing... CONSTRUCTIVE comment to the list of idea is also welcome.

Instead of fisheye, use a ultrawide like a 10-20 or 12-24. The photographer stands 1-2 floors above, while the cars are on the ground floor.

How about viewing it through a drop of water?? save the fisheye lens

i saw a panaromic photo once with at least 30 cars. They were lined up in a curve shape which resulted in them lining up side by side in the photo.

code said:
i saw a panaromic photo once with at least 30 cars. They were lined up in a curve shape which resulted in them lining up side by side in the photo.
i like this idea, but probably best done in studio (1-by-1) and ps onto a black bg.

other one was the V-shape... this is like a fleet of cars. hard to get 50 cars in the pic, still have to consider space, lighting, and colour coordination. just an idea - think can have a row of cars in the slight V-shape, ultra-wide lense to focus on centre car (shooting at bumper level tilted slightly up) to try to capture the 2 wings and the sky.

NMSS_2 said:
find a big multi storey parking building with open space on the top level. the carpark must be next to a high-rise HDB. try to get all the cars squeezed into that top level. get to the highest possible nearby building and shoot down from there! :sweat:

not sure whether feasible or not. just a hunch! up to u now for topo search! ;p

A lot of recce to many areas of Spore that will lead to. Not sure if he have the time...

L.Lee said:
All,
I would like to seek your advice on how to shoot 50 cars in one frame :sweat: . I will be
doing a shooting for a car owner group this Sunday 3pm, in which I am also a member.

1. What is the preferred way to arrange the cars?
2. Shoot from which angle?
3. What other considerations?
4. Any volunteer would like to help in the shooting? Purely for hobby and fun only, please
PM or email: rku288@yahoo.com.sg

All suggestions are welcome. Thanks

Cheers

You need an awful lot of space and co-ordination for photographing 50 cars in one frame!! I guess the only way to have all into one frame is to shoot from top down, and the photo will probably be at least 20" x 24" to be able to see some details... Anyway, here're some things/places you can try:

a. Expo carpark (talk to the mgt) ;)
b. Carpark near Kallang indoor stadium
c. Tuas
d. Marina South
e. The last car park at East Coast Park towards the airport, then rent a crane/scaffolding to shoot.

How about a shot around evening or early morning with all or alternate cars with their headlights on... Or maybe can try to drive up to Tanjong Rhu beach in Sentosa, and get a shot with the sea view...

Great ideas are begining to flow in . I do not question their feasibility at this point of time, the raw ideas will always trigger more great ideas, perhaps a more refined ideas . Current list
of ideas (n) and comments (-):

1. Use fisheye lens - user111
- through a drop of water instead :bigeyes: - flowerpot99
- use ultra-wide instead of fisheye and shoot from 1-2 floor above, cars on ground -
watcher
2. Shoot from a helicopter - Del_CtrlnoAlt
3. Use top level of multi-storey carpark and shoot from near by taller building - NMSS2,
2nd yanyewkay
- Need time to recce for suitable site, time may be a contraint - wrx_sti_22b
- most carparks unable to fit 50 cars on Sunday - Yildun
4. Formation of 'V' and circle and sort by color - Murcielago
5. Find an open field and shoot from a near by tall building
6. Erect a platform if no tall building or use a hoist
7. Line up all cars in a curve so that it appears like a straight line in panoramic - code
- but probably best done in studio (1-by-1) and ps onto a black bg- Cactus jACK
8. Have a row of cars in the slight V-shape, ultra-wide lense to focus on centre car
(shooting at bumper level tilted slightly up) to try to capture the 2 wings and the sky -
Cactus jACK

Amazing ideas :thumbsup: , please keep them coming... CONSTRUCTIVE comment to the list
of ideas is also welcome. I will share the images with you after the event.

shoot individual cars separately with same or different backgrounds, then use software to stitch all photos or put it together in one frame, depends on creativity. :think:

Just shoot whatever you want to shoot of the 50 cars and digital-composite into one image... static shots of one giant group of cars, no matter how arranged, doesn't seem likely to work out well, there'll be much too much space in the shot.

To follow on from the last post ... sometimes the way to solve a big problem is to break it down into multiple smaller problems that are easier to solve by themselves.

Are there any logical groupings you can segment the 50 cars into ? By vintage, color, sub-type, owner, etc ? Then shoot multiple groups separately, and do a collage. The advantage is that you can even do them at different times, thus saving you a bigger headache in logistics. And if you want, with different backgrounds as well.

how bout going to a big space, then mayb u arrange 5 cars one behind each other, then u construct 10 columns in a semicircle. then u bring a high ladder, stand in front and take multiple shots and stitch them together in a big panorama shot?

pity i can tag along...:cry:

it is a really interesting outing. mayb nx time?

mind posting pics of the outing?? ;p ;p

Status
Not open for further replies.