How to set up Online Photo Gallery?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gosu_John

Aug 11, 2004
www.blackbistro.com
Hello all,

I have a personal web site and I'm intending to create an online photo gallery, something that looks professional. Not just a simple thumbnail click and view kind.

Pictures have to be at least 550px in width. Fits nicely into a monitor screen. As I see sometimes when people upload their pictures, its resized such that it cannot be seen entirely in a monitor at once. :dunno:

I came across this http://gallery.sourceforge.net/ .

However, it sounds really really difficult to set up. I believe many sites including Clubsnap and Pbase use this format of PHP galleries to run their online galleries. Is it possible for a home user to use this gallery too?

Has anyone done it before? Care to share your experiences and how you did it? Or maybe just an alternative to this.

Btw, I tried PS CS's web photo gallery, its not bad but has some limitations. I'm still experimenting to see if there are better alternatives, if not I guess I'll have to settle with the PS CS one liao. :sweat:

I am using the akogallery, running on mamboserver. So far the easiest to use one I came across is one called 'Singapore' which all you need to do to upload photos is FTP the files into folders (on the server). The gallery will use the folder name as the album name. Most of these will be pretty simple, just thumbnails n u click type, and some has slideshows. I have seen some really cool ones, which I think they did in Flash ... too bad I am just to lazy to learn how to do it ... ;p

Hi Gosu_John,

The Gallery program from sourceforge that you mentioned is a very good gallery program. It's not that difficult to install if you follow the detailed step-by-step instructions given on the website, and you can install with ftp without the need for shell access. I'd done it before. And yes, of course a home user can use it, as long as you have required webspace available.

I concur with ziploc, it's pretty easy to install and setup. A bit leh chey without shell access however, as I prefer to chmod on command line.

You can consider http://www.datadosen.se/jalbum as well, it comes with skins for you to choose how you want to display your gallery. Skins can be found here - http://jrepository.engblom.org/.

espn said:
I concur with ziploc, it's pretty easy to install and setup. A bit leh chey without shell access however, as I prefer to chmod on command line.

You can consider http://www.datadosen.se/jalbum as well, it comes with skins for you to choose how you want to display your gallery. Skins can be found here - http://jrepository.engblom.org/.

WOAH! JAAlbum has a particular skin that is PERFECT! the exhibit skin! its one of the skins I was trying to create with PS CS but had a few nagging problems. have yet to install it and check out how easy it is to handle. but so far so good sia... :)

still browsing the skins now. hehe :thumbsup:

oh btw, since this JAalbum seems so easy to setup bla bla why are people still using Gallery? are there significant advantages it has over JAAlbum?

given its 'hard to setup' -ness, pardon my crapo language :) im surprised pple dont use JAAlbum!

jalbum need to be 'regenerated' each time we add new pics right? correct me if i'm wrong. tried that before but forgotten already. if yes, the reason could be for those who needs to upload pics frequently, it is quite troublesome (ok i'm a lazy bum). ;p

I'm not too sure, I was about to migrate mine to jalbum, but am too lazy to get my butt around to it... heehee. :)

Yup JAlbum needs to be regenerated each time you add pictures. The advantage of JAlbum is that you can make web albums that can be put on CDs for easy viewing. Gosu_John if you like the look of the exhibit skin, you might want to consider using the Exhibit Engine written by Pekka Saarinen. But it does require MySQL to be available on the web server.

ziploc said:
Yup JAlbum needs to be regenerated each time you add pictures. The advantage of JAlbum is that you can make web albums that can be put on CDs for easy viewing. Gosu_John if you like the look of the exhibit skin, you might want to consider using the Exhibit Engine written by Pekka Saarinen. But it does require MySQL to be available on the web server.

wa the Banana one looks good sia.

but needs some tweaking to get it to work. The zip file which you download isn't fool proof.

Had to poke here poke there change name create folder then can make it work. But at least its working now. Looks good looks good! Still playing around to see how much more it can do. :lovegrin:

I use Gallery on my site and it's not difficult to install. I also installed the EXIF viewer add-on and configured the Win XP publish feature to publish to my gallery. The documentation included with Gallery tells you how to do all this.

Royce said:
I use Gallery on my site and it's not difficult to install. I also installed the EXIF viewer add-on and configured the Win XP publish feature to publish to my gallery. The documentation included with Gallery tells you how to do all this.

ok im done :)

check it out here :D :D :D

Gosu_John said:
WOAH! JAAlbum has a particular skin that is PERFECT! the exhibit skin! its one of the skins I was trying to create with PS CS but had a few nagging problems. have yet to install it and check out how easy it is to handle. but so far so good sia... :)

still browsing the skins now. hehe :thumbsup:

oh btw, since this JAalbum seems so easy to setup bla bla why are people still using Gallery? are there significant advantages it has over JAAlbum?

given its 'hard to setup' -ness, pardon my crapo language :) im surprised pple dont use JAAlbum!

I can't find exhibit skin. Do u mean exhibitplus? can send to me if it's different? Thanks

Camm said:
I can't find exhibit skin. Do u mean exhibitplus? can send to me if it's different? Thanks

ya apparently they upgraded exhibit liao.

so its probably known as exhibitplus right now. :)

wow... i just saw your gallery... you're right.. this layout is very, very cool.. i read through whatever you guys typed... seeing stars :sweat:

Pinkishy said:
wow... i just saw your gallery... you're right.. this layout is very, very cool.. i read through whatever you guys typed... seeing stars :sweat:

hey nice site but taking too long to download!! :cry:

i've got my own webhost.. 100/yr i think..yes. it's $100/year..

;)

Gosu.. thanks.. yeah.. i know it's long.. i'm just too lazy to do the preloader in flash to speed things up..and i've been working on the content for 2 years.. hah! been too lazy.. i've been doing webdesign for other clients.. so got quite sick of it :confused:

I want to try the album thing though.. but after reading through what you guys typed.. geez.

Is there any programming or code writing involved? No way to get rid of that banana splash thingy at the start of the album too?

me tink u gotta pay 'em to get rid of the banana. :dunno:

Pinkishy said:
i've got my own webhost.. 100/yr i think..yes. it's $100/year..

;)

Gosu.. thanks.. yeah.. i know it's long.. i'm just too lazy to do the preloader in flash to speed things up..and i've been working on the content for 2 years.. hah! been too lazy.. i've been doing webdesign for other clients.. so got quite sick of it :confused:

I want to try the album thing though.. but after reading through what you guys typed.. geez.

Is there any programming or code writing involved? No way to get rid of that banana splash thingy at the start of the album too?

renegade said:
me tink u gotta pay 'em to get rid of the banana. :dunno:

ya loh bobian... :cry: unless your flash is pro enough to do something like that just copy what he did loh. ahahah

gallery is simple to use, open source, and very easy to modify. recently i just modified a site to accept orders with little changes to orginal code and adding of several files

Status
Not open for further replies.