How to set metering/exposure in night shots if shooting film?

Status
Not open for further replies.

zcf

Apr 10, 2005
270 degree of Singapore
Newbie asking for advice.

For DSLR can shoot night scenery by trial and error, I used to shoot with DSLR 1st, confirm the exposure then copy it on film SLR.

If I don't have Digital camera/DSLR with me, how do I set the exposure correctly :dunno: .

Will using normal setting (0 EV) be too bright for P or A mode for night scenery photos?

You'll have to take into consideration the reciprocity law failure. Depending on the film, you might need to give another 1 stop exposure for anything that's longer than 3 secs.

On top of that, you could take a look at those exposure tables (recommendations) for night photography... do a search on Googles.

Experience will take care of the rest.

With film, you need to use an educated guess and some trial and error. Bracketting is probably a good way to go, document your exposures and review them afterwards, then you will know for that scene what exposure to use next time.

Also, as canturn mentioned remember recipricity (someone correctme, but I thought this kicked in at 1sec not 3)

My F90 took night shots on aperture priority mode brilliantly. Never really had to second guess it.

Thanks for all the info, seem like most are experience base :sweat:
So at the momnet need to bring my DSLR out for testing exposure with it most of the time when shooting at night scenery.

Status
Not open for further replies.