How to set Infinity Focus

Status
Not open for further replies.

donlim

Jul 30, 2004
Hi,
Got a question to ask:

If i am us my SLR cam to take a self pic using remote trigger, I would want to make the the subject and the surrounding in focus. I have to use infinity focus, right?
How do i achieve infinity focus?
Appreciate any advice.
Thanks.

donlim said:
Hi,
Got a question to ask:

If i am us my SLR cam to take a self pic using remote trigger, I would want to make the the subject and the surrounding in focus. I have to use infinity focus, right?
Appreciate any advice.
Thanks.
No you don't. You focus (manually) on where you're standing, set your aperture to something like f/16 or f/22, then rush back and use your remote trigger.

Get a wide angle lense. Chances of everything being in focus will be higher. Why don't you make sure you've set everything in focus first before the shoot? Have someone/something as a stand-in near where you are going to stand.

donlim said:
Hi,
Got a question to ask:

Appreciate any advice.
Thanks.

infinity focus is focusing more to do with the distance between the camera and yourself as the subject. different lenses have different infinty focusing, most around 10 meters and beyond for SLRs.

steps to get your slr to achieve sharp focus across the picture (you need to stop down your lenses to get a huge depth of field) is to set your aperture to at least F8 to F11 for wide angle lenses. and f11 to f16 for others.

You need to use hyperfocusing, you don't necessarily need f/16-22 to get your surrounding sharp + subject :rolleyes:

Alternatively, is to focus at infinity, first switch the glass to manual mode, watch the infinity mark move on the focusing barrel till it hits the marking, then you're clear.

Let us get a few things straight.

You main objective is to do a self portrait right? Question: how far are you from the camera? If you are say 10 feet away from your camera, setting the lens to infinity focus will make you very out of focus! Infinity focus is focussing on "infinity", basically meaning something quite far away.

So forget about infinity focus for this project. Set your camera up. Focus using manual function. Use something to approximate where you will be standing/sitting. Then perhaps set your aperture to something like f16 to give yourself some room for error in focussing (assuming a focal length of something between 50-80mm). In my case, i trip the shutter and then run to the prefocussed place.

Will show a couple of images later when I sort out my computer. Seems to be acting up!

student said:
Will show a couple of images later when I sort out my computer. Seems to be acting up!
Seriously, you need a new PC :bsmilie:

donlim said:
Hi,
Got a question to ask:

Appreciate any advice.
Thanks.

what type of focal lens u using ??

OK, here are the images. Something like these?

That is ME, of course!

When I was younger and trying to act like Tom Cruise! :cool: (BTW, this was where that whatever you call movie starring Tom Cruise was made)

Untitled-1_copy1.jpg

And when I was a "little" more mature and less inclined to play hero!:cry:

Untitled-4_copy1.jpg

student said:
OK, here are the images. Something like these?

That is ME, of course!

When I was younger and trying to act like Tom Cruise! :cool: (BTW, this was where that whatever you call movie starring Tom Cruise was made)

Untitled-1_copy1.jpg

And when I was a "little" more mature and less inclined to play hero!:cry:

Untitled-4_copy1.jpg

Humsome man......

Hello,

A little question on infinity focusing. If my max focus is set to around 6m (on my 50mm f1.8) and my subject is about 7 or more meters away, do I use infinity focus? In this case, let's say I'm unable to move my camera.

Thanks.

haiz...self portaits my forte hahahaa

u use an object to focus first....prefocus....

alternatively...use a mirror as a reflective plane...tt way u can put ya cam nxt to u and yet not let it be seen

cheers.!

Thanks all for the advice.
I shall be using something/someone to prefocus using manual focus then fire off the trigger.
Hope it turns out ok..

Status
Not open for further replies.