How to send digital pics for printing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cougar159

Nov 20, 2003
Visit site
I have just managed to PS tweaked about 100 shots taken with my new D100. Now need to know how to send it for printing...

Is there is designate pix size/max resolution I need to send the photos in? Or will the printer crop my pic to fit into his, say, 4R/8R paper?

Normally I send in the max pixel resolution, just in case.
Normally I use Photoshop to crop to the desired ratio, ie 3:2 or etc.
Normally I tell the lab whether I want him to adjust colour/brightness or not.

It is not cheap to print 100 pics, so I suggest you send in the first 10-20 pics to the lab, see the result and then send in the remaining 80-90 pics.

I just sent my first batch of prints using the camera to Photo Friends @ PP, asked him to include borders. Try cropping off that extra 8pixels to achieve a 3:2 ratio. The borders are a bit much on the right and bottom because I didn't crop, I just send in and ask them to add borders. :)

By far, this is the best batch I ever had printed. Remember to ask for the shop's colour profile and such so that you don't get results you don't expect! :)

Astin said:
Normally I send in the max pixel resolution, just in case.
Normally I use Photoshop to crop to the desired ratio, ie 3:2 or etc.
Normally I tell the lab whether I want him to adjust colour/brightness or not.

It is not cheap to print 100 pics, so I suggest you send in the first 10-20 pics to the lab, see the result and then send in the remaining 80-90 pics.

sorry i have a few doubts still confusing me...

1) what is the max resolutions that you use?? max resolution from the camera or post processed from PS?? If post processed from PS, what is the normal max resolution used for printouts?

2) Use PS to crop to ratio of 3:2, that means some part of the photos will not be included in the printout... am i right?
the machine that is processing cannot shrink the 4:3 picture into 3:2 format??

please help..! :embrass:

SuRfTeC said:
sorry i have a few doubts still confusing me...

1) what is the max resolutions that you use?? max resolution from the camera or post processed from PS?? If post processed from PS, what is the normal max resolution used for printouts?

2) Use PS to crop to ratio of 3:2, that means some part of the photos will not be included in the printout... am i right?
the machine that is processing cannot shrink the 4:3 picture into 3:2 format??

please help..! :embrass:

What size do you want to print? 4R or else?
I assume you intend to print 4R, then at Photoshop, after you are done the post-processing, you "crop" the photo to dpi=144, (dpi=300 is better if you like), and size of 6" by 4".

If you dont crop to ratio 3:2, when you go to the lab, you have to tell the lab whether you want them to crop or not to crop for you. In some other lab, you tell them to fit or not to fit for you.

If you tell them to crop (to fit) for you, they will try to fit your image onto a 6" by 4" paper, so they might chop of the head, the feet, some scenery parts.

If you tell them not to crop (not to fit), they will reproduce your image at the exact ratio, so you will see some white borders/uneven borders.

Cougar159 said:
I have just managed to PS tweaked about 100 shots taken with my new D100. Now need to know how to send it for printing...

Is there is designate pix size/max resolution I need to send the photos in? Or will the printer crop my pic to fit into his, say, 4R/8R paper?
Remember to use sRGB colourspace. If you use Adobe colourspace, the prints will be dull. The digital printers have a maximum resolution of 300 dpi. However, you do not have to resize the images as long as the aspect ratio matches the print size you want.

Astin said:
What size do you want to print? 4R or else?
I assume you intend to print 4R, then at Photoshop, after you are done the post-processing, you "crop" the photo to dpi=144, (dpi=300 is better if you like), and size of 6" by 4".

If you dont crop to ratio 3:2, when you go to the lab, you have to tell the lab whether you want them to crop or not to crop for you. In some other lab, you tell them to fit or not to fit for you.

If you tell them to crop (to fit) for you, they will try to fit your image onto a 6" by 4" paper, so they might chop of the head, the feet, some scenery parts.

If you tell them not to crop (not to fit), they will reproduce your image at the exact ratio, so you will see some white borders/uneven borders.

Astin... thanks for the tips..
have a clearer picture now..! :)

cheers

Me still in confusion.

My D100 shots are all in RAW, 6mp size. Since it is about 3000 x 2000 pixel size, does it mean it is already in 3:2?

I shoot using D100 RGB Color Space II. And I edit in PS using Color Space embedded in pic. Is Color Space II = sRGB? If not, how do I change in PS?

When sending for printing, I assume I have to tell the guy which should be printed in 4R and which in 8R right?

What is the best way to label my shots, in numbering system or otherwise?

Lastly, does Ruby in Peninsular Plaze charges $0.50 per 4R. How much does your favourite printer charges?

Cougar159 said:
Me still in confusion.

My D100 shots are all in RAW, 6mp size. Since it is about 3000 x 2000 pixel size, does it mean it is already in 3:2?
It's close enough to the 3:2 aspect ratio. When you converting from NEF, the image is 3008 x 2000. When printing you will loose AT LEAST 8 pixels side-to-side. Bear in mind that the printer cannot print exactly right up to the edge. Always allow a few pixels to be cropped off.

I shoot using D100 RGB Color Space II. And I edit in PS using Color Space embedded in pic. Is Color Space II = sRGB? If not, how do I change in PS?
Color Space II is Adobe Color Space. It's in the page 60 of the D100 manual. You should be able to change it in PS under image->mode->convert to profile.
The Fuji labs are not colour space aware so they treat all images as sRGB which is the closest thing to their own colour space.

When sending for printing, I assume I have to tell the guy which should be printed in 4R and which in 8R right?
Just create a few folders in the CDR/RW and label them 4R glossy 1 copy, 4R matt 2 copies each, 6R no cropping, no adjustments etc.

Entirely up to you.

Lastly, does Ruby in Peninsular Plaze charges $0.50 per 4R. How much does your favourite printer charges?
KT Digital Imaging in Hong Lim Complex charges 30 cents for 4R for Clubsnap members.

Cougar159 said:
Me still in confusion.

Hotprint @ China Square Centra II (http://www.hotprint.com.sg) does printing at $0.50per 4R as well. You can specify what you what them to do for you and they provide good service. You might wanna drop by there. They've been doing my Canon RAW files and I've seen them do D100 prints as well.

I've been trying for the longest time to find a shop that does digital prints well. They all try to be helpful, but mostly I have gotten back pictures with funny colour casts or sharpened to death. Any recommendations please?

Regards,

I'm dropping by Photo Friends @ PP (using Kodal Royal) for another 2nd round of printing of D100 shots tomorrow.

I've seen/heard that Kim Tian Digital Imaging @ Hong Lim Complex is good for it's digital prints as well (using Fuji Crystal Supreme Archive). There is a discount for Clubsnap members, do note that.

Try these two. I only wish that all shops will allow 1 test print shot (payable) before we have to dunk the whole set with them and worry for the results.

dkw said:
I've been trying for the longest time to find a shop that does digital prints well. They all try to be helpful, but mostly I have gotten back pictures with funny colour casts or sharpened to death. Any recommendations please?
As far as I know, the shops don't sharpen the photos. Are you sure you did not oversharpen them yourself? ;) As for colour casts, it seems to be inherent in the cameras, eg Coolpixes have magenta casts and I think Sony cameras have a greenish casts.

From my experience, I certainly have to be very careful when sending prints in to the neighbourhood print shop. I do all the post-processing myself, and one dose of USM is the most I ever use. More often than not, the shop will do additional processing by default, unless you specify not to. I had one shop owner claim that I was the first person who found a COMPRESSED printed pic worse in quality than the original:dunno: ,so, I've had worse than just over-sharpening. As for colour casts, very hit and miss, which may be my fault. Don't claim to have the final word on this, and I'm sure there's something the good printing shops can teach me.

Cheers,

Could someone enlighten me on what an ICC profile is? I know it's some sort of colour calibration thingy but how do you check what the settings are on my side in order to match the lab's ICC profile?

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.