how to see the lens got fungus a not

Status
Not open for further replies.

hammiepie

Apr 7, 2008
Hi any way to see the lens contain any fungus or not? and if it contain fungus will it harm the camera itself? and how to remove it?

1. same as checking for dust. hold it up to the light and look into the light. but please don't look through. focus your eyes on the glass.

2. AFAIK, fungus eats into the coating of the lens elements so i'm not sure if it will affect the camera. maybe the glass prism and viewfinder more susceptible to fungus.

3. removing, need to send to a professional to clean with chemicals. if you just try to wipe it off you may scratch the lens.

so if i bought from 1 cser and he told me he was too rush to let me check as he say he got something urgent to do and told me to rest asure that the lens is fungus and dust free and image quality is very sharp .

Now i ask him to refund, he refuse to and say it does not affect the picture. But in the first place he lied to me that its fungus and dust free.

What and how can i deal with this case? i didn't wish to create any trouble or any big case. i just wan a refund and he said he told me the zooming is not smooth but inventually he did not tell me at all. So i just contact with him and he told me he did not know theres any fungus. If he did not know how could he just tell me theres none at all?

so if i bought from 1 cser and he told me he was too rush to let me check as he say he got something urgent to do and told me to rest asure that the lens is fungus and dust free and image quality is very sharp .

Now i ask him to refund, he refuse to and say it does not affect the picture. But in the first place he lied to me that its fungus and dust free.

What and how can i deal with this case? i didn't wish to create any trouble or any big case. i just wan a refund and he said he told me the zooming is not smooth but inventually he did not tell me at all. So i just contact with him and he told me he did not know theres any fungus. If he did not know how could he just tell me theres none at all?

perhaps u wld like to post some images of the fungus, so that the more experienced guys can help you out??

upz for u!

it looks like a small little spider web. it is true that under normal situation, you cant tell that a photo was taken with a lens with fungus, if you want examples, take a look at all my photos posted here and in multiply:embrass:

but that doesnt means you accept it in this case because the seller lied to you (if there really is fungus).

you can get a quote to get it cleaned and ask the CSers to pay for the cleaning (I have seldom seen 2nd hand lenses that are dust free if it has been used quite a bit)... and if it gets bad, you can post up his id/nick so that people are warned.

check first that it is really fungus... i posted a link in the other thread u were asking about fungus...

hope it is not too expensive a lens...

i hope ts learn his lesson, like everything in life, never rush into buying things, especially when it is a used item.

any way to see the lens contain any fungus or not?

This is wat i do, but i can be wrong. This is how i check a lens.
1) Inspect exterior of the lens (condition, signs of drop), note of any shaky parts especially.
2) Inspect the front and rear glass of the lens first.
3) Open the aperture to the largest (if that lens can do so) and hold the lens into a light source to see if it is clear.
4) Close the aperture to the smallest and make use of the contrast of the black colored blades to look for possible spots of fungus. Tilt it at various angles to see. Do the same to the other side (rear and front) of the lens. Check for suspicious things on the wall of the lens also.
5) Use a torchlight to help u. Small 1 bulb LED pocket lights are gd enough. Tilt the light at diff angles and u can see the scratches, dust and fungus easier.
6) Mount it on the camera, take a few shots at various aperture settings, etc. Review the image on the LCD and randomly zoom into some places to check for whatever u want.

if it contain fungus will it harm the camera itself?

If the fungus is on the exterior elements just clean it with a gd cloth and some lens solution. If it is not on the exposed area, then i don think it will harm the camera, as it will have a hard time going into ur camera then. Again, I can be wrong. This is just my opinion.

how to remove it?

If on outside just clean it. If inside, i recommend our dear friend nick fatigue. He's good. He got one of my fave cleaned in less than an hour. Taught me tips and tricks as well.

I am not sure if u know how to differentiate dust and fungus. Dust usually won't affect ur images. Fungus is the more problematic one as it can grow. They look something like a "halo" and some look like they have "mycelia" (like roots). My vocab is limited.

There are tons of reason why someone wanna sell something in the B&S. Some ppl can be lying as well, no surprise. Just take this as a lesson. Don't brood over it. Enjoy photography, that is the most impt thing. :thumbsup:

Status
Not open for further replies.