How to save a noisy pic?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lastboltnut

Mar 23, 2006
Where the wind blows...
Hi guys,

I have a couple of noisy pic taken with ISO800 (forgot to reset after a delibrate shot of ISO800 pic).

How can PS help? Please adivse....:(

Thank you!

Noise Ninja or Neat Image will do a good job at reducing noise, or you can try this:

In PS, turn the pic to Lab colour > select channel A > Then Gaussian Blur untill all the dots have gone (can be like 4-8 usually) then > Select channel B and apply the same amount (ctrl-f) > Then change back to RGB and save.

Reduces noise if done well, but may not be as noticable as noiseninja or neat image

lastboltnut said:
Hi guys,

I have a couple of noisy pic taken with ISO800 (forgot to reset after a delibrate shot of ISO800 pic).

How can PS help? Please adivse....:(

Thank you!

You're luck. At my cousin's wedding dinner I forgot to reset my ISO to auto and it was stuck at ISO3200.

smtan24 said:
You're luck. At my cousin's wedding dinner I forgot to reset my ISO to auto and it was stuck at ISO3200.
i hope you're not the main photographer. maybe can salvage your pics by converting to B/W - well artistic

jopel said:
i hope you're not the main photographer. maybe can salvage your pics by converting to B/W - well artistic

Just taking for fun only. But the noise at ISO3200 is quite bad. I think this is the case for most cameras. When you print it out it's not so bad and my parents seem to think it's acceptable.

Thanks wildstallion,

I will try the PS method first.....btw, are the Noise Ninja and Neat Image freeware?

Thanks again.

wildstallion said:
Noise Ninja or Neat Image will do a good job at reducing noise, or you can try this:

In PS, turn the pic to Lab colour > select channel A > Then Gaussian Blur untill all the dots have gone (can be like 4-8 usually) then > Select channel B and apply the same amount (ctrl-f) > Then change back to RGB and save.

Reduces noise if done well, but may not be as noticable as noiseninja or neat image

O, I am so sorry to hear that.....may be you can try the above method....

smtan24 said:

O yeah!! BW is a good idea!! I will try it also! Never think of that;p
Thanks

jopel said:

lastboltnut good luck with your photos.

lastboltnut said:
Thanks wildstallion,

I will try the PS method first.....btw, are the Noise Ninja and Neat Image freeware?

Thanks again.

No problem, you can get a free trial of neat image, but its not very good. You have to pay for both, but its a very good investment.

lastboltnut said:
Thanks wildstallion,

Thanks again.

You can try noiseware. There is a community edition of the software which is free. There are some limitations of the free version, but good enough for general purpose noise reduction.

lastboltnut said:
Thanks wildstallion,

Thanks again.

Neat Image is freeware is its kinda not bad la.. try it to view the difference :)

I've tried noise ninja, it's not bad.

But for certain areas you might want to some manual work, such blurring or brushing.

wildstallion said:

Where did you learn of this method?

I once briefly heard from someone about using a similar method (convert to Lab colour) to do sharpening without causing JPEG jaggies or artifacts.

Jemapela said:
Where did you learn of this method?

I once briefly heard from someone about using a similar method (convert to Lab colour) to do sharpening without causing JPEG jaggies or artifacts.

This method is mentioned in Scott Kelby's "The Photoshop CS2 Book for Digital Photographers". It has been around for a many years, long before noise reduction softwares such as Noise Ninja or Grain Surgery.

madmacs said:
if all else fails...convert to b&w and add more noise :p
:thumbsup:

Status
Not open for further replies.