How to safely switch or attach lens outdoors

Status
Not open for further replies.

wolvie77

Nov 15, 2009
Hi! All. I just bought a D5000 with a 18-55 kit lens. Read on the manual that when attaching lens, care should be taken to prevent dust or foreign object from entering the sensor. Would like to ask the pros. How can this be done safely when i'm shooting outdoors. Any guidelines to follow.

Point down or away from wind, prepare everything beforehand and make the change as speedy as possible (don't drop the stuff though!). I heard that it's better to turn the camera off before the change too.

Main point is to avoid letting dust and foreign particles settle on the inside of the camera or lenses. So some common sense precautions are:
1) When body if not fitted with a lens, replace the body cap.
2) When lenses are not fitting on the body, the front and rear caps should be in place.
3) Avoid changing lenses in a dusty environment, or in snowing conditions. If you must change lens, then try and find a place to 'hide' or do so very very quickly.
4) Finally, it is advisable to have the body face downwards when doing the lens changing. This would reduce the chances of some loose dirt falling into the body.

No big deal, really. Happy shooting.
Fred

Just do it fast, and be ready to clean your sensor when it's dirty. There's nothing much to it.

The idea is try to expose your naked lens elements the less time possible. You can try these:

[1] with front cap off
[vid]XoNAw3zn-nY[/vid]

[2] with end cap off
[vid]PiWctOW5p6A[/vid]

Disclaimer: not responsible if you drop your lenses by trying these methods ;p

Last edited:
1. place bag on floor/table use your body to block the wind
2. lens facing down, in bag/on table, remove rear cap
3. remove lens from camera, place on table / bag facing down
4. mount the lens
5. cap the lens u dis-mounted
6. capture the moment that u needed!

I turn off camera. While it is on, the sensor does produce static that attract dust. I cant explain well so google it. But there is a reason why we do sensor cleaning with mirror lock up but not bulb mode.

Point down or away from wind, prepare everything beforehand and make the change as speedy as possible (don't drop the stuff though!). I heard that it's better to turn the camera off before the change too.

I wonder if you all know of anyone who goes to the extend of having one body for each lens to avoid changing lens in the field? I am thinking about perhaps 3 lenses/3 bodies. Reason is I found out we don't have to be shooting pictures in the middle of a typhoon or war zone to make changing lens a risky business. Having a shoot at the beach is bad enough. Strong breeze, salt water, sand everywhere. This is of course assuming there is help in carrying all the gear around.

1) switch camera off
2) point camera + lens downwards
3) uncap other lens, i hold the lens rear cap with my mouth thanks
4) undo old lens, straight away put new lens on
5) remove rear cap from mouth and put on old lens

tada

If there is a draft or any type of breeze dont change lens sia ... dust on sensor can be cleaned off. Spores on the other hand freak me out constantly. (shivers)

1) switch camera off
2) point camera + lens downwards
3) uncap other lens, i hold the lens rear cap with my mouth thanks
4) undo old lens, straight away put new lens on
5) remove rear cap from mouth and put on old lens

tada

Yes I have my own routine for changing lens and it works well for me most of the time but sometimes I wish I can just put down one body, pick up another, and keep shooting.

I think I may go that route if I see another 20D coming onto the market for cheap.

Status
Not open for further replies.