how to safely remove CF card?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeanie

May 19, 2005
i have a couple of CF cards.
everytime i put into cf reader to transfer pics, how should i remove the card safely?

i usually go to the bottom right of the screen and click the 'remove peripherals'(dunno what that icon stands for now, sorry!) icon.then it says it's safe to remove.

but when i plug the 2nd cf in, it cant seem to detect my cf card, so i have to plug out the USB card reader and plug in again.

is there a way around this without having to unplug and plug the cf reader again?

TIA!

Right clock on the drive that has the CF card in it and select eject drive. works for me.

i did that, but the light on the cf reader shows red means its still reading the card.
only when it's safe to remove, then the light will show green.:dunno:

everytime i put into cf reader to transfer pics, how should i remove the card safely?

i usually go to the bottom right of the screen and click the 'remove peripherals'(dunno what that icon stands for now, sorry!) icon.then it says it's safe to remove.

but when i plug the 2nd cf in, it cant seem to detect my cf card, so i have to plug out the USB card reader and plug in again.

is there a way around this without having to unplug and plug the cf reader again?

TIA!

What I normally do... is to remove it when I'm not using that drive. I.e. make sure the explorer page is not pointing to that drive. Click on C: for example, then remove it. stopping the drive will require you to unplug n re-plug in the card reader.

TIA!

I believe the "remove peripheral" devices remove your card reader instead of the cf card. therefore, by doing so you have to plug out and plug in the card reader.:think:

i try not to remove the CF card. i always directly connect the DSLR using USB cable. save all the trouble.

When you remove the peripheral on tray icon, the LED on card reader will go off right? That's mean you need to unplug and plug it again for Windows to recognize it. That's the safety way.

Regards,
Arto.

i try not to remove the CF card. i always directly connect the DSLR using USB cable. save all the trouble.
You are draining your camera battery when do above.

Regards,
Arto.

TIA!

Buy another brand of CF card reader. I oso experienced the same prob previously until i changed my card reader.
:cool:

My current reader can read without plug in and out

Buy another brand of CF card reader. I oso experienced the same prob previously until i changed my card reader.
:cool:

My current reader can read without plug in and out

wat brand?download speed fast or not?
i really find downloading a 2GB card at 3-4mins very very slow.:embrass:

When you remove the peripheral on tray icon, the LED on card reader will go off right? That's mean you need to unplug and plug it again for Windows to recognize it. That's the safety way.

Regards,
Arto.

but this was what i was referring to.it's troublesome and i'm really not sure unplugging and plugging the entire card reader will in the long run damage anything.
was thinking if there is one where you can just 'eject' the card, so you take the card out from the card reader, and when you plug in another one, it can immediately recognise it.

is this kind of technology lacking?if it is, i'm really surprised.:what:

Just pull it out when your not using it, been doing that for at least a year + now, never had a single problem.

HUH?you cant!in this way, you are not removing the CF card properly as it is still being access by the card reader!

correct me if i am wrong

wat brand?download speed fast or not?
i really find downloading a 2GB card at 3-4mins very very slow.:embrass:

I go home check. Bought it from activefoto in SLS. Black colour.

Paiseh i tot 3-4 mins download a 2Gb card is pretty normal ?

I go home check. Bought it from activefoto in SLS. Black colour.

Paiseh i tot 3-4 mins download a 2Gb card is pretty normal ?

thanks a million.

ya.i started a thread in consumer corner sometime back and csers told me it's normal.ask me go make kopi then come back.:bsmilie:

but i seriously have no patience sitting there wait 4 mins per card to dl my pics.

isn't that the same .. instead of CF card->CF card reader->PC .. u r using CF card->cam->PC?

HUH?you cant!in this way, you are not removing the CF card properly as it is still being access by the card reader!

correct me if i am wrong

Not if you are not browsing the drive or utilising it. (i.e. copying files, writing to it or reading it) ;)

Not if you are not browsing the drive or utilising it. (i.e. copying files, writing to it or reading it) ;)

but even when i am not doing the above, the LED in the card reader still shows red.hence i do not dare just plug it out.:dunno:

TIA!

someone mentioned this. and i experienced this be4

when u click the 'remove peripherals', this is for removing those portable plug and play hardware, thus when u do this, the PC will disconnect the communication with your card reader ! :p

an easy way is .... when u wish 2 plug out your CF card from the card reader.
close all windows or applications that will read data from your card reader, and wait for the light on the card reader to go off.
den just remove the CF card from the card reader. and insert your next CF card.

This should be how it works :p

same as when we used to use the old 3.5" & 12.5" floppy disk (same logic :p)
should be la

is that the 'power LED'? for some reader, the LED might light up, but blink when accessing .. else try using another reader ..

but even when i am not doing the above, the LED in the card reader still shows red.hence i do not dare just plug it out.:dunno:

Status
Not open for further replies.