Steps to convert video format:
1) Install the above software
2) Start Bink & Smacker Video Tools
3) Select the mov to convert
4) Click "convert a file"
5) Default settings are fine. Might consider brightness or gamma change to brighten those dark videos.
6) Click Convert
7) Select the divX codec
The above steps will create an avi file which is much smaller than the original mov file. I do these steps to all my videos and delete the mov file thereafter.
Now I require less disk space to store those videos and I don't need Quicktime to view the movies which I find cumbersome (to click the "Later" button to purchase pro edition - what a nag).
To rotate the video, follow these steps:
1) Start Virtual Dub
2) Open the avi file to rotate (avi can be created using steps above)
3) Select Video, Filters
4) Click Add
5) Select Rotate (Notice there are more filters to play with - explore)
6) Click OK
7) Select the desired rotation
8) Click OK
9) Select File, Save As
10) Enter a new avi file to save to
11) If a message appears - regarding file size, just click yes.
12) After the file is created (in full size uncompressed), repeat the steps to convert video format from uncompressed to DivX.