How to reverse mount 50mm lens onto FZ5 for Macro shot?

Status
Not open for further replies.

zcf

Apr 10, 2005
270 degree of Singapore
As title, wonder is it possible? And how to do it?
Since FZ5 is 55mm, what reverse ring or adaptor I need to get? Please guide me, thanks.

hi zcf, are you planning to use a 50mm lens? you should find out the size of the lens thread (ie the size of the thread in front of the lens for filters). a 50mm lens means that the focal length is 50mm; not the thread size.

for you to mount, you can get a step down ring to mount on your fz5. then get a reverse ring to mount the fz5 and 50mm lens together.

fz5 --> 55 to 52mm step down --> 52mm reverse ring <-- 50mm lens

do note that once you have this setup, you can only use manual focus.

hope this explanation helps.

Thanks for clarifying, if need to use manual focus only, then FZ5 is out of question, as it doesn't have manual focus.

No wonder I can't find any FZ5 reverse macro post.

In this case, I guess I can only purchase some filter to help it only.

Ever used the prefocus function?

eow said:
Ever used the prefocus function?
you mean lock the focus by half press the release, then attach the lens on later and shoot?
Don't know is it feasible or not??? But it's a bit troublesome also.

troublesome but worth trying

I thought I read something about unseen saying that fz5 has some digital manual focusing? Maybe I'm interpreting this wrongly.
unseen said:
if need manual focus, FZ5 has a focus button to help fix/change focus. something like a controlled manual focus.

natnivek said:
I thought I read something about unseen saying that fz5 has some digital manual focusing? Maybe I'm interpreting this wrongly.
Don't remember I read that in the menu, may be have to re-read again.
I do know that if your half press release, if not focus correctly, you can re-half press release to re-focus again.

may be need unseen to help out.

You can use auto focus. Just focus anything nearby and then move your setup to refocus the object until it looks sharp in the LCD and SNAP .

megaweb said:
You can use auto focus. Just focus anything nearby and then move your setup to refocus the object until it looks sharp in the LCD and SNAP .
In this case, it seem like worth trying, thanks.

But once you need to re-focus, you'll have to remove the setup. Personally I feel the "focus lock" button a little out of place too! :dunno:

megaweb said:

I think you're right... :) When I was doing macro, I found it easier to first get a "rough" focus then slowly adjust MY camera's distance from the subject until the image is sharp. But cannot be too blur to start with lah.

the so called digital manual focus is the focus lock thing.
it locks the focus. allows the camera to focus only when you press the focus button.
when it is set, then you press or half press also won't focus.

hope my answer helps.

unseen said:
the so called digital manual focus is the focus lock thing.
it locks the focus. allows the camera to focus only when you press the focus button.
when it is set, then you press or half press also won't focus.

hope my answer helps.

Those with FZ5 should know better. I mention this before and saw this thread:
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1033&message=13812521

FZ5 has a FOCUS button at the back. Maybe you guys see if this can work out for your camera.....

I think your manual state something too...
FZ5prefocus.jpg

Thanks, now then I notice there is a "focus" button "sharing with the bin button" :sweat:

Learn new things every day. Thanks.

zcf said:
As title, wonder is it possible? And how to do it?
Since FZ5 is 55mm, what reverse ring or adaptor I need to get? Please guide me, thanks.

hey bro do share the pics when you completed the setup, its nice seeing the fz5 exploring more and more!!!

but first I need to get the necessary part, looking for 50mm at B & S. but don't know camera shop got:
"55 to 52mm step down ring"
&
"52mm reverse ring"
anyone know how much they usually cost?

Zcf,
the best place to look for such lens is at cash converter..saw a 50mm f1.8 for sale at $50++ lens thread is 52mm
55-52mm can be bought from prime camera shop(beside cathay photo) at PZ

looking for canon 50mm lens currently, as thinking of moving to 350D next year.

It also depend on the condition of the lens, but $50 is indeed cheap.

Thanks for the info, just like to know usually how much it cost, so I won't be "slaughtered".

A question..

if :

72 -> 62 -> 55 -> 52

will this works ?? :think:

Status
Not open for further replies.