How to resize for Facebook?

Status
Not open for further replies.

efyap

Dec 29, 2008
Singapore
Hi everyone,

Not sure if this is the correct category to post this question. I rendered my photos in very high quality JPEG and tried to upload them onto Facebook. However, the photos looks very pixelated on Facebook. I tried to resize them in lightroom to 604x402 (@240 pixels per inch) and upload again. Slightly better but still not similar to how I see if on my PC.

Is it me or is this a general Facebook issue? Anything I can do to make it closer to what I see? Or I should just switch to Picassa or Flickr?

Pls help. Thanks!

Facebook kills image quality, you shouldn't expect too much from it...

Facebook is designed for social networking, for people to share snapshots, not as a professional photo upload site. Facebook is very concerned about bandwidth, so of course they'll compress the image.

have the same issue. really hate it when the pics look fine on flickr, but just horrendous on fbook. find it especially bad when the pics are taken with a high ISO.

Hi everyone,

Not sure if this is the correct category to post this question. I rendered my photos in very high quality JPEG and tried to upload them onto Facebook. However, the photos looks very pixelated on Facebook. I tried to resize them in lightroom to 604x402 (@240 pixels per inch) and upload again. Slightly better but still not similar to how I see if on my PC.

Is it me or is this a general Facebook issue? Anything I can do to make it closer to what I see? Or I should just switch to Picassa or Flickr?

Pls help. Thanks!

I am using Photoshop CS3, and there is an option to choose 'bicubic sharper' in its 'image resize' command. This is suppose to allow better picture quality when it undergoes reduction in size. Then choose a resolution of 72 pixels/inch. With 'constrain proportions' activated, change the 'width' to 600 pixels.
I have not used Lightroom before, hence do not know if it has the same 'image resize' option as CS3. If it does, perhaps you can give this a try.:)

I am using Photoshop CS3, and there is an option to choose 'bicubic sharper' in its 'image resize' command. This is suppose to allow better picture quality when it undergoes reduction in size. Then choose a resolution of 72 pixels/inch. With 'constrain proportions' activated, change the 'width' to 600 pixels.
I have not used Lightroom before, hence do not know if it has the same 'image resize' option as CS3. If it does, perhaps you can give this a try.:)

you can resize it 8000 ways

facebook will compress it into nonsense then bye bye image quality

just look at the brighter side,
you need not to worry to much about whoever want to leech your photos from Facebook,
the quality of photos are suck anyway.

Facebook albums is not really good for photo viewing.
The quality is not very good for photos viewing album, will make it pixelated.

I think Photobucket or Flickr is much better.

Hmm, I would say facebook just to let others know you have taken such photo, but cannot tell how good the quality.

Hi everyone,

Pls help. Thanks!
try 800px on the shorter side

Thanks everyone for your wonderful suggestions.

I tried a few permutations. I resized the photo to 604px on the long side. It's slightly better than uploading photos in their original resolution and let Facebook do the compression. Not what I was hopping for but I've come to terms with it. Will upload my better works onto Flickr instead.

Just play Mafia wars in Facebook.. lolz..

If you upload photos as the correct resolution to facebook, does it still recompress the image?

(I've stayed away from uploading to facebook, as the images from other people look pretty bad due to the compression.)

Status
Not open for further replies.