how to replace a dull sky with a clear blue sky with natural clouds

takengo2003

Deregistered
Oct 6, 2003
i know photoshop can do the job, but is there any freewares that can do the same job.

more than 100 viewed this thread, but none of bro here knows?

Try GIMP, its very similar to Photoshop but it's free and has a small file size.

Try GIMP, its very similar to Photoshop but it's free and has a small file size.

i use that software before, but cannot find any option for changing the sky, anyway thanks.

If you are looking for a 'click-and-click-get-blue-sky' result, I am unaware of any available software out there that can do that.

However, if you take the time to learn to do PP, you will know it is not as simple as a few clicks process. You'd have to select and lasso your dull sky, and paste your blue sky in a layer.

Take this opportunity to learn by getting some reading materials or searching the web with google.

Cheers!

thanks to all, answer start coming in, i am now trying to explore gimp.
saw an option under filter/render/clouds, but it me very different option, does not allow me to select clouds.

I think there are so many views because we're all waiting for the magical answer. Let us know when you find out how.

Content-Aware Fill with Adobe Photoshop CS5? :think:

The content-aware will only fill the contents they are aware of. It is not so smart to know you want to replace the sky.

Use selective color replacement instead. Play with the white.

Is there really a solution so convenient to "replace a dull sky with a clear blue sky with natural clouds" other then shoot again with a better light? Probably you can try to bring out some details, bring out some blown highlights..but if you wana change it too dramatically, I really doubt so...probably you can try to use layers in CS3...or try other progs like Gimp/Lightroom to see if they have that function to "replace the sky."

Last edited:
Other factors have to take into consideration beside just slot in a blue sky.

* if there are other content / element..e.g. people, buildings,

when these were taken in a dull weather as together with that dull sky, they will look just as dull, so by changing a clear blue sky with clouds does not help anything at all. It will only show the word " fake ".

viewers will recognise what is a sunny day feeling.

this is the first step to bear in mind before doing cut and paste.

Other factors have to take into consideration beside just slot in a blue sky.

* if there are other content / element..e.g. people, buildings,

when these were taken in a dull weather as together with that dull sky, they will look just as dull, so by changing a clear blue sky with clouds does not help anything at all. It will only show the word " fake ".

viewers will recognise what is a sunny day feeling.

this is the first step to bear in mind before doing cut and paste.

Err... can I quote "Content-Aware Fill with Adobe Photoshop CS5"? :p

i've been trying it for quite a while, but so far i find that content-aware fill is still not that sophisticated. other so-called long-cut ways may actually be more efficient.

........ You'd have to select and lasso your dull sky, and paste your blue sky in a layer.

......but if you wana change it too dramatically, I really doubt so...probably you can try to use layers in CS3...

The above is tha answer... Same process done as what was stated above.

4650273328_2c6d5a6e85_b.jpg

4635126747_bd76741b6d.jpg

4651837452_bc672e2449.jpg
\

Hope this helps...

bro and sis, i know photoshop can do the job, how about gimp? i have been trying for the past few hours, still cannot.
any good advise?

if anyone knows how to do it without using photoshop, please post the software use and how to do it.

i have been trying to figure out how gimp can do it, but failed, if you know the steps, do post the steps here, will really appreciate it.

again, please do no post anything about how photoshop can do it, i repeat again, i know photshop can do it, but i am looking for freeware.

First - what do you mean by "Dull Sky"

Generally people prefer to see some blue in skies and there are ways to selectively pp the sky to be more blue - for example the photo-filter function.

First - what do you mean by "Dull Sky"

dull sky refering to sky without the blue and clouds, example of dull sky are those grey sky, like those sky going to rain.

Generally people prefer to see some blue in skies and there are ways to selectively pp the sky to be more blue - for example the photo-filter function.

what photo filter function are you refering to? please do not tell me photoshop again.

Last edited: