How to remove Spyware

Status
Not open for further replies.

tangoninazero

Feb 25, 2003
Green Mile
tangoninazero.clubsnap.org
Hi any IT expert out there can advise on how to remove spyware?
i try running ad-aware and microsoft antispyware but yet my wall paper appear the "SPyware detected" it seems the Spyware has corrupted my IE and i cannot excess my web gallery and it also prevent me from using photoshop as well as preventing me from removing other software, i dun know what other damages i might be getting but these 2 are enough to bother me....helps and advises really appreciated......(i dun really want to reformat my lappy)
:(
Thanks and have a merry christmas

I can help you , pretty experienced here .

Update Ad aware , scan , clear , delete quar. files

Go to the trendmic link Jason Ho gave. Scan delete.

Go here

http://www.ewido.net/en/download/

download , install , update , scan , delete.

go and download hijackthis, cut and paste the log and show us.

if u know the offending files it will be easier.

also try downloading blacklight to check if you have any rootkits hidden in your machine.

tangoninazero said:
Hi any IT expert out there can advise on how to remove spyware?
i try running ad-aware and microsoft antispyware but yet my wall paper appear the "SPyware detected" it seems the Spyware has corrupted my IE and i cannot excess my web gallery and it also prevent me from using photoshop as well as preventing me from removing other software, i dun know what other damages i might be getting but these 2 are enough to bother me....helps and advises really appreciated......(i dun really want to reformat my lappy)
:(
Thanks and have a merry christmas

It sound like to me that you have more then just spyware problem and worst. The damages are already done. If so..at this point, spyware or antivirus scanning and removal is not going to bring stability back to your notebook. Removal tools will only remove the pesky codes but not repair damages done to your system. I have to agree with TMC. You do have to wipe clean your notebook and rebuild your system.

akane said:
go and download hijackthis, cut and paste the log and show us.

if u know the offending files it will be easier.

also try downloading blacklight to check if you have any rootkits hidden in your machine.

haha TechGuy forums

If you are using Windows XP, try using the "system restore" and restore to a time before the problem happen.

If it does not work, it will be easier to wipe out and re-install.

If possible, do a fresh install at least once a year to maintenance your system in optimal performance.... ;)

My advise is don't waste your time trying to remove the spyware. From your description it seems that you are not only infected with spyware but also virus and trojans. As been said earlier the damage has already been done. Just format your hard disk and reinstall everything. Your system will never be stable unless you start clean.

Ola said:
If you are using Windows XP, try using the "system restore" and restore to a time before the problem happen.
i believe a system restore can only reset the changes made to the system settings, it is not able to remove a spyware / trojan / virus that had intruded the computer.

tangoninazero,

as a few others have advised, it is better to do a reformat to ensure your system is clean. then install some good software to improve the security.
you should ditch internet explorer which has many security vulnerabilities ( only use it for windows update ), use firefox instead. you should have a firewall too.

here are some software to consider :

browser : firefox ( free )

firewall : zone alarm ( free )

anti-virus / anti-spyware :
nod32 ( 30-day trial )
avg anti-virus ( free )
spyware doctor ( free )
spybot search & destroy ( free )
ad aware ( free )

K C said:
here are some software to consider :

browser : firefox ( free )

Recommended. :thumbsup:

For anti spyware, I've used both adaware and spybot S&D, but still unable to detect some which was caught by Mcafee Virusscan. Recommend Mcafee Virusscan :thumbsup: (consider cheap lah for 2 in 1, anti-virus and anti-spyware).

Second that! Based on similar settings, my wife's IE got lots of spyware attacks, some residing in the Registry too. Rarely have such problems as I'm using Netscape.

For spyware, try Spyhunter. Huggable is using a registered version. :thumbsup:

kit_fisto said:
dump IE and use firefox!

adaware is free and good

The best way to have free spy and virus com...... don't surf internet/go online...... :p

there's only 1 solution for me.. try "cd.. format c: /u"

The best is to use a combination of anti-spyware software. It's like using a combination of drugs to fight off a disease.

Spybot and Adaware are good but not good enough. If you try Spyware Doctor, you'll find (a lot) more. If you go further and try another anti-spyware software, you will find still more. They complement each other.

For me, I use Spybot, Adaware, Spyware Doctor and Zone Alarm Pro, and I have no illusions that there might be still other spyware hidden in my system.

K C said:

anti-virus / anti-spyware :
nod32 ( 30-day trial )
avg anti-virus ( free )
spyware doctor ( free )
spybot search & destroy ( free )
ad aware ( free )

I agree with all your selection but Zone Alarm. It use to be a pretty good firewall software but of late it is not as good as it once was and had done badly to prevent some of the newer attacks from entering your system. And it is becoming bloatware heheh...

Status
Not open for further replies.