How to remove a stucked UV filter on lens?

jed091270

Dec 20, 2009
Bishan
Hi guys. I need your advice on how to remove a stuck UV filter on my lens. I tried several method but none of them works. Any advice would be highly appreciated.

Had that happened to me before. I used two wide (not the normal thin ones) rubberbands. One for the lens barrel, and another for the filter ring. Then firmly gripped the lens barrel one, and twist the filter one - and it came off.

Thanks man!! I tried it using one only...on the filter itself. I will try your suggestion. thanks again.

You can get this from the supermarket.

DSC03534Medium.jpg

Thanks...if what Wzierbovsky suggested does not work, I will look for this tool. Thanks for helping out.

If your filter has not been knocked or dropped, the chances of getting it unstuck is high. It might be more difficult if the filter has been damaged or bended.

There is one thing to note when trying to remove stuck filters is try to apply EVEN force on all side when trying to turn the filter. That might be difficult to do using your hands since you will usually apply force from only two points - your thumb and index finger.

There are always filter wrenches you can use to separate them. However, the camera stores here do not seem to carry them as they are inexpensive items. I have two sets I bought last year from B&H and the set has helped a couple of CSers here unstuck their filters. If all else failed, send me a PM and we can arrange a time for you to come to my house to use the filter wrenches.

try putting a cloth on a table and resting the lens on it and turn to loosen the filter.
Yeah, when you try that, you are putting even pressure on all sides when turning the filter. TS might want to replace the cloth with a sticky matt that people use in cars. That will give you more friction when turning the filter.

Or if the filter is too thin, you could stack couple more filters on top of it, then proceed with the above.

then the TS will be back askin how to remove filter to filter stuck :-/

Well, I suppose he doesn't have to tighten the filter too tightly on the filter that's stuck.

If he applies even pressure on the rubber band/anti-slip mat whilst turning, it should work.

Last edited:
Hi, have u visit DIY shops to find somthing that would grip the lens or bring it there & ask them to help.

Thanks CS tan. Will message you if I other suggestion fails. Thanks all for the advice.

You could always take your lens to canon service centre.

Be sure to grip the lens barrel at a spot such that the lens is not rotating when you twist or you may risk damaging the focus mechanism.

happened once before. i tried every way until i made several cuts on my hand just to remove it.
end up i send it to service ctr. :bsmilie:

I have similar experience and will advice you a method that is sure to work.

This method is by heat and expansion of metal approach.
15w_soldering_iron.jpg

you can use a soldering iron to heat up the UV ring metal. Leaving the lens un-heated. Once the heated ring is very very hot already ( so hot that you cannot use hand to hold on to it ), you then use a piece of cloth to twist the rings apart. Be sure that you heat up the ring evenly.

sure to work. good luck :)
Billy