How to Reduce Vignetting on UWA on Cokin Filter Holder?

limwhow

Jun 9, 2009
Life revolves arOnd East Coast
Cokin Z-Pro Filter Holder on your Ultra Wide Angle Lens
Vignetting at the widest end!

So often, when we shoot landscape photography using our UWA lenses, we found ourselves plagued by the problem of vignetting on the widest end when we have our Cokin filter holder screwed on. I have found this tip from another forum, but as it is not very appropriate to link another forum to CS, I have simply taken my own picture and share it with all us CSers here.

What is my set up?

It is a typical set up similar to many of our brothers here.
I use the Cokin Z Pro series with the 77mm and 82mm adapter rings on various lenses.
And when I shoot with my Full Frame camera with the 16-35mm lens at the widest end, the vignetting from the filter and filter holder will always force me to zoom in to around 22-24mm before the vignetting disappears.

I am sure this problem is faced by photographers of all makes and models of cameras with all the other models of Cokin Filter holders.
But do take a look at this and it might just solve your problem.

What can we do to significantly reduce vignetting?

Simple. Instead of screwing in the Adapter Ring first, followed by slotting the Filter Holder from the top, do this:

• Make sure any UV filters are removed
  • Slot the Adapter Ring into the filter holder's opening, with the adpater ring's thread side facing towards the lens' front element.
  • Now gently screw in the whole contraption until the Adapter Ring is snugly screwed well onto the lens' threads.
  • The Filter Holder will be firm held between the Adapter Ring in front and the lens rim behind - and it will be so firm that it will not fall off at all!
  • Turn to 16mm end of the lens, and on a Full Frame camera, you will see NO VIGNETTING at all!
Here is how the contraption appear.

4783671729_581cb102b7_b.jpg

I would urge all UWA lens users, no matter if you are using Full Frame or Cropped bodies, no matter what Filter Holder systems, to give this idea a try.
I cannot promise that it will definitely work on your system (perhaps not on Tianya system), but there is no harm trying out and you might just find yourself solving the persistent problem of vignetting.

Please try out your Filter System and share your findings with CSers.
I have no experience with other Filter systems and thus I sincerely urge all to test out this method with your own Filter system and keep us informed and updated.
Thank you all in advance.

:thumbsup: , wow.. Thanks for sharing.. valuable piece of info...

got pro landscape photographers saw off the first two filter holder... i.e. the filter holder can only hold one filter... but anyway... it's good since the Cokin filter won't allow rotating of two different filters (if used 2 most probably gonna be different orientation)... so i guess the saw off (or buy the Wide Angle holder) easier...

just my 2 cents...

Your workaround is good. A couple of potential issues. This method means that your filter holder is now locked in place. So if you want to switch to a portrait orientation with filters on, it will be somewhat troublesome. Also it is also a little trickier to remove the holder. Is the hold tight enough as well?

What you can do also, is to reduce the number of slots by unscrewing the 4 bronze screws in the front of the holder. From experience, it is not advisable to stack more than 2 filters anyway. It looks like you have 3 slots setup for now.

As for filter holder, I find the Lee filter holder to work better. The filter holder is actually "recessed" and thus the lens edge will sit slightly futher into the holder. On the down side, it cost quite a bit more. Even on my Lee holder, I only have 2 slots installed.

Last edited:
Your workaround is good. A couple of potential issues. This method means that your filter holder is now locked in place. So if you want to switch to a portrait orientation with filters on, it will be somewhat troublesome. Also it is also a little trickier to remove the holder. Is the hold tight enough as well?

What you can do also, is to reduce the number of slots by unscrewing the 4 bronze screws in the front of the holder. From experience, it is not advisable to stack more than 2 filters anyway. It looks like you have 3 slots setup for now.

As for filter holder, I find the Lee filter holder to work better. The filter holder is actually "recessed" and thus the lens edge will sit slightly future into the holder. On the down side, it cost quite a bit more.

The wonderful thing about this method is, the filter holder is simply held but it is free to turn 360 degree for whatever orientation.
I agree with you that if I use three filters on the three slots I am asking for trouble by courting vignetting.
That was with the previous usual way of set up with the Adapter Ring deeper to the Filter Holder instead of the way it is now, outside of the holder.
In fact, using this method, I can slot in three filters into the three slots and I will still have no vignetting at all on my 16-35mm at its widest end!
Isn't that marvellous, Daredevil123?

It's good of you to share your experience with Lee Filters. But to many who use Cokin, and Tianya, I believe this method would significantly reduce vignetting.

I think there is a larger X-Pro from Cokin. But the filters will be more expensive.

got pro landscape photographers saw off the first two filter holder... i.e. the filter holder can only hold one filter... but anyway... it's good since the Cokin filter won't allow rotating of two different filters (if used 2 most probably gonna be different orientation)... so i guess the saw off (or buy the Wide Angle holder) easier...

just my 2 cents...

Sawing is for the P and A series holders. The Z-pro series sports removable slots and spacers. No need to saw.

The wonderful thing about this method is, the filter holder is simply held but it is free to turn 360 degree for whatever orientation.
I agree with you that if I use three filters on the three slots I am asking for trouble by courting vignetting.
That was with the previous usual way of set up with the Adapter Ring deeper to the Filter Holder instead of the way it is now, outside of the holder.
In fact, using this method, I can slot in three filters into the three slots and I will still have no vignetting at all on my 16-35mm at its widest end!
Isn't that marvellous, Daredevil123?

It's good of you to share your experience with Lee Filters. But to many who use Cokin, and Tianya, I believe this method would significantly reduce vignetting.

Yes, it is marvelous. But I like to be able to remove the holder fast. By screwing it it in, it's almost impossible to do that. With the Lee, I can just lift one lever and the entire holder comes off.

BTW, don't think Tianya offers 100mm filters? And this method will be harder to execute on the P series filters. Even on the single slot Wide Angle holder gives vignetting on cropped body UWA.

Last edited:
Yes, it is marvelous. But I like to be able to remove the holder fast. By screwing it it in, it's almost impossible to do that. With the Lee, I can just lift one lever and the entire holder comes off.

BTW, don't think Tianya offers 100mm filters? And this method will be harder to execute on the P series filters. Even on the single slot Wide Angle holder gives vignetting on cropped body UWA.

I see what you mean and certainly in your case where you need to remove it very quickly it would hinder your movement. I just hope this would help those who are on some form of wide angle filter holder system.

Thats what most are doing nw (including me who's using Lee foundation Kit with Adapter ring screw inwards, think thats how Lee works)

Anyway thats a gd initiative~!! :thumbsup:

thanks for sharing bro!:thumbsup:

:thumbsup: , wow.. Thanks for sharing.. valuable piece of info...

Welcome, KT1031 and stonefish35. I wasn't sure it is only me or what, that's why I thought maybe I could share with the CS community since I came upon it.

Thats what most are doing nw (including me who's using Lee foundation Kit with Adapter ring screw inwards, think thats how Lee works)

Anyway thats a gd initiative~!! :thumbsup:

Thank you for telling me Numnumball. Looks like I am the Sua-Ku one now.
Because the Tianya, and the Cokin Z-Pro that I use now all have to have the Adapter ring screwed on first, before slotting in the filter holder.
So those who are using the Lee Filter System must be laughing their butts off at me this Sua-Ku now... HAhahahaha.....

My good friend limwhow.

Many thanks for the info.

Those film days with my Nikon FE2, I do used Ambico and Cokin filters. I think now it has grown mould. With digi cam now, I just use pp without lugging around the accessories. Also no vignetting problem lah. In my opinion, probably it offers more variety and countless permutation of graduation and seems much more natural to me. Yes, no?

But sometimes I do cheap simple trick like adjusting the colour temperature in the camera and the result can be surprising quite pleasing (like the sunset shot we took in Tit-Top).

Cheers Bro.

Last edited:
Thanks bro limwhow for sharing this valuable info of your findings :thumbsup:

I am using Nikon wide angle-converter on my basic 18-55, and i also realised i have to use the 20mm focal length in my 18-55 lens to avoid the vignetting problem.

But when using unconverted DSLR for infrared photography, i prefer to use my hand to hold the cokin P007 filter close to the lens instead of the cokin holder becoz of the risk of stray light leaking.

Cheers, with best of regards :)

Last edited:
My good friend limwhow.

Many thanks for the info.

Those film days with my Nikon FE2, I do used Ambico and Cokin filters. I think now it has grown mould. With digi cam now, I just use pp without lugging around the accessories. Also no vignetting problem lah. In my opinion, probably it offers more variety and countless permutation of graduation and seems much more natural to me. Yes, no?

But sometimes I do cheap simple trick like adjusting the colour temperature in the camera and the result can be surprising quite pleasing (like the sunset shot we took in Tit-Top).

Cheers Bro.

Haha... You are welcome.
Anyway you are old bird mah, divinemoment... your days of Cokin filters are behind you already.. hahaha!

Thanks bro limwhow for sharing this valuable info of your findings :thumbsup:

I am using Nikon wide angle-converter on my basic 18-55, and i also realised i have to use the 20mm focal length in my 18-55 lens to avoid the vignetting problem.

But when using unconverted DSLR for infrared photography, i prefer to use my hand to hold the cokin P007 filter close to the lens instead of the cokin holder becoz of the risk of stray light leaking.

Cheers, with best of regards :)
Ah.... a good point you have raised about hand holding.
Cheers, SurrealDreamWalker!

limwhow, thanks for sharing. Now can consider 16-35mm ! Damn, another poison :devil:

For those on a budget or are already committed on the P wide filter holder plus its 84mm x 120mm filters, you could actually do a simple DIY by "sandpapering off the inside grove" ~ ref. the last post (picture) of
http://www.flickr.com/groups/efs1022/discuss/72157603966224419/#comment72157604371483498

Another illustration is found in the first two pics of ~ ref.
http://digitalphotographer.com.ph/forum/showthread.php?t=4651&page=3

It works on my D700 + 17-35mm (with no UV filter screwed-on) with no vignetting.

With my B+W XS-PRO filter, there will be some compromise. You have to keep the filter holder "relatively vertical" if you know what I mean; otherwise, there will be (barely) minimal vignetting from 17-19mm depending on how much you tilt the filter holder.

Having said that, if I am to do it again, I will go the Lee route; it makes life a little easier.

Last edited:
For those on a budget or are already committed on the P wide filter holder plus its 84mm x 120mm filters, you could actually do a simple DIY by "sandpapering off the inside grove" ~ ref. the last post (picture) of
http://www.flickr.com/groups/efs1022/discuss/72157603966224419/#comment72157604371483498

Another illustration is found in the first two pics of ~ ref.
http://digitalphotographer.com.ph/forum/showthread.php?t=4651&page=3

It works on my D700 + 17-35mm (with no UV filter screwed-on) with no vignetting.

With my B+W XS-PRO filter, there will be some compromise. You have to keep the filter holder "relatively vertical" if you know what I mean; otherwise, there will be (barely) minimal vignetting from 17-19mm depending on how much you tilt the filter holder.

Having said that, if I am to do it again, I will go the Lee route; it makes life a little easier.

Hello, yyD70S.
Thank you so much for the links.
I am so happy to have inputs like yours here because I think it is a common problem and one of the purposes of my putting this thread was also to fish for experience from people like yourself.
And I agree with you, looks like Lee filter system has that one up against Cokin's.

Thanks for the great find bro!! :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:
Hehehe... vngks, you are welcome.
Had it not been for that coffee with you, we would still be scratching our heads on this issue! Hahaha... Thanks to you!

Thanks for sharing, limwhow! :thumbsup: I've just save some bucks after reading your thread.