How to reduce file size?? ICA requirements

Status
Not open for further replies.

siron

Mar 18, 2002
somewhere near...
www.geocities.com
As below, I had followed the requirements as needed 400 by 514 but the size of my picture can only be as small as 100kb which does not meet the requirements by ICA of 60KB.

Can any brother advise me on how can I reduce the size??

Thanks!! (using PS)

------------------------------------------------------------------------

You will need the following to apply for a passport via APPLES:
a VISA or Mastercard Credit Card or Visa Electron or Mastercard Debit Card for On-line Payment ;
Digital photo image file with the following specifications :
- in JPEG format ('jpg' extension);
- file size is no more than 60 Kbytes;
- preferred dimension is 400 (Width) by 514 (Height) in pixels.

ok. Here is the easiest way WITHOUT sacrificing too much image quality.

1. With your image open select "File" and then "Save for Web & Devices". This will open a new window with your image.
2. Here you can adjust your quality and file format and wether to save as progressive or not. Non-progressive (interlaced) will yield the smallest file size.
3. Select a quality (using the preview) that is acceptable (prob ~50-60%).
4. Click "Save"

Now check the file size. The two images below were saved using this. Check out the difference in file size!

BEFORE: 800x600 = 189kb
dsc3060oj4.jpg

AFTER: 800x600 = 42.4kb
dsc3060aqv4.jpg

Hope this helps! :)

Thanks Bro! :) You know what? Its so weird! I am using Mac and it shows 108kb but when I send to my Vista and it is only 48KB!!

I dont know why Mac display it as 108KB?? Any explanation?

you can use a software (image editor) like photoshop,,,

Thanks Bro! :) You know what? Its so weird! I am using Mac and it shows 108kb but when I send to my Vista and it is only 48KB!!

Not sure. I do know that Macs frequently have associate file data that is hidden as a "._filename.jpg" type file. Macs see this as a single file, so this may be jacking up the "file size" for you. PCs don't recognise this hidden file and just leave it as a separate "hidden" file, appart from the image. :)

for ica's purpose, i used photoshop to reduce file size.

Heh you got the reminder in the mail too? I was fiddling last night with Photoshop trying to get the dimensions and filesize right :p

if you do a save for web, then there is no image icon for your file
and all other data (exif, colour profile) will also be omitted

this will reduce the file size

does your file on your mac have a image icon?

Once you resized, go Save As and choose "Medium" for the jpg quality....not need to be so good....it's <3cm on the IC...

Once you resized, go Save As and choose "Medium" for the jpg quality....not need to be so good....it's <3cm on the IC...
This is true, but the image quality will still be better, and the file size smaller, if you go through the "Save for Web and Devices" method in PhotoShop.

Status
Not open for further replies.