How to reduce camera shake?

Status
Not open for further replies.

damienloh

Oct 17, 2005
How do you guys do to reduce camera shake? Example on travelling trip so it's not possible to use tripod all the time. Training the hand holding still?

(Question is related to a Canon DIGIT II digital camera)

damienloh said:
How do you guys do to reduce camera shake? Example on travelling trip so it's not possible to use tripod all the time. Training the hand holding still?

(Question is related to a Canon DIGIT II digital camera)

Keep arms locked close to body...

And if possible, rest on a stationary object to help keep movement to a minimum...

Sometimes it's just not possible to avoid using the tripod altogether. Especially with landscape photos during the 'magic hours' (dawn or dusk), tripod is almost a define must. It will be worth the extra weight.

Other than watching your physical posture and using impromptu supports, you can try bumping up the ISO, and if you're using a DSLR, get IS and/or fast lenses.

there are techniques to help u keep your hands steady, such as your posture, keeping hands locked, holding your breath, finding something to support on, etc. settings-wise, keeping a fast shutter, of which may require using bigger aperture, higher ISO. focal length will also affect. more tele means any slight movement will be magnified, so the wider the focal length, the less the effects of any camera shake. got some cameras/lenses come with vibration reduction(sorry i nikon user) or the like, means the equipment got the technology to reduce camera shake to a certain extent.

hope it helps.

there are techniques to help u keep your hands steady, such as your posture, keeping hands locked, holding your breath, finding something to support on, etc.
Thank you. The above really helps.

I also discover a small trick. Use the 2 seconds self timer.
This avoid the camera shake when pressing down the "shoot" button.

Thank you. The above really helps.

I also discover a small trick. Use the 2 seconds self timer.
This avoid the camera shake when pressing down the "shoot" button.

This will only work for landscape shots. Can't possibly ask models to hold there for solong before you shoot rite?

If no tripod and must use a tripod, u can always rest yr camera on top of stone, bench, dustbin, car roof, then use the 2s/10s timer to trigger. I have tried all these, it looks weird and unglam, but u will get the shot.

usually for me, I will try to use wide angle ( no zoom ) and take closer to the object.

gorilla pod!

Can anyone explain the rifle trick?

Can anyone explain the rifle trick?

Well, the idea is to be as still as possible. So by breathing in a few times slowly and squeezing the trigger only when exhaling, you should get the least amount of shake. ;)

Rifle - like shooting an M16 in the army, keep arms tucked in to the side, rest elbows on a surface if possible, regularise breathing, release shutter when exhaling.

My hands are really shaky too - try shooting with a faster lens (i.e. larger aperture) if possible.

I'm a Nikon user, so VR really helps, cuts out camera shake for shots about 4 stops slower than usual. In Canon language it would be the IS (image stabiliser) feature.

Hope that helps.

Apart from arms locked, hold breath, make sure your shutter speed is faster than the focal length of your lens.

Use structures around u for support. A wall, a ledge, a railing etc. Works wonders.

arms locked or put ur elbow on something stable... i got scolded by el cher for not doing tat....

Status
Not open for further replies.