How to recreate this effect?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sherchoo

Sep 14, 2005
Bukit Panjang
sherchoo.myphotoalbum.com
Was snapping some shots of my kids. However, this shot was purely accidental. Would like to recreate this effect in the future. Anybody have any idea?

weird.JPG

rotating the camera in slow shutter..

unless you're asking for how to do it in photoshop, in that case its radial blur, spin..

Was not photoshop. I'm guessing that I turned before the shutter closed. But the turn is so even, kinda hard to achieve.

manual focus (ok, AF also can, but make sure it locks)

Do shutter priority or manual, check the metering, and estimate your hand rotation speed. Set approximate 1/4 to 1"... trial and error.

Focus on subject, maintain focus, and when you press the shutter, u start to rotate.

Have to search the angle you like, most likely a 1/4 rotation is good enuff... normally a 'open chicken wing' position to normal position... or full 1/2 rotation...

Was not photoshop. I'm guessing that I turned before the shutter closed. But the turn is so even, kinda hard to achieve.

you can use a tele lens or something from RRS...

imagine this... think the most common lens with a tripod collar is 70-200 (most brands have a tripod collar)

mount the tripod collar direct to the tripod. free the rotation knob. then position to the subject, and rotate... should be as smooth as tis...

Just practice and you will get the turn right;) Also, if you know how to check the exif, you can check the shutter speed as a guide to set ur shutter speed... Cuz you can actually get a rotation at speeds of about 1/20 to as long as 1 sec... Diff ppl have diff comfortable shutter speed zone...

The camera is not turned, that is a photoshop (or similar software) effect.

If the camera had been turned during exposure then the and bodies of girls in the middle would also have the same effect - notice how the effect increases as you move further out from the centre (e,g the girls faces are clear but the fathers face has started to morph). If the camera had been turned the effect would be the same over the entire image.

If the camera had been turned during exposure then the and bodies of girls in the middle would also have the same effect - notice how the effect increases as you move further out from the centre (e,g the girls faces are clear but the fathers face has started to morph). If the camera had been turned the effect would be the same over the entire image.

thats the mom... lol...

its 'do'able... but mostly done on wide angles... i've did a few times using wide angles, have yet to try using a telephoto.

thats the mom... lol...

its 'do'able... but mostly done on wide angles... i've did a few times using wide angles, have yet to try using a telephoto.

LOL.... yah... it's the mom actually

Anyway, below is the some data on the shot:

Focal length - 17mm
Exposure time - 1/15
ISO - 100
F-number - F/3.2

thats the mom... lol...

Yupps~ I also tried it b4... Used settings of 1/15 to 1/30... Haha... For me, any slower means that the image is gone~ Too blur~

LOL.... yah... it's the mom actually

Anyway, below is the some data on the shot:

Focal length - 17mm
Exposure time - 1/15
ISO - 100
F-number - F/3.2

Yupps~ Can try to recreate the effect using similar shutter speeds, in this case 1/8 - 1/30 ba...

as you move further away from the centre of rotation doesn't speed of that point also increase?

Ya, the effect should be increasing as it moves away from the centre.

Status
Not open for further replies.