How to recover jpeg files from crash hard disk drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

s598719

Oct 27, 2006
Urgent help needed. Some 10% of jpeg files not backup. Need to recover from HDD. Was quoted $500 by professional. So prefer to DIY.

Any idea how? What software to use?

Done so far: "Windows Explorer could not detect the presence of the external HDD. A loud sound could be heard when the HDD is powered on."

Hmm $500 seems reasonable as if a loud sound could be heard it may even be ur hdd motor spoil. Hitachi izzit?

Urgent help needed. Some 10% of jpeg files not backup. Need to recover from HDD. Was quoted $500 by professional. So prefer to DIY.

Done so far: "Windows Explorer could not detect the presence of the external HDD. A loud sound could be heard when the HDD is powered on."

Its better to pay the professionals. since its like terminal stage cancer already...

Decide whether that 10% of your jpeg files really worth the $500, because the professional will need to open up your HDD and repair mechanically, thus, yes, u are quoted reasonablly.

No software can help you because in your case it is hardware problem.

Just my humble opinion.

Maxtor Diamond Head 250G.

Maxtor Diamond Head 250G.

It failes to boot up, showing blue screen or it does not respond at all? Is the loud sound coming from the spinning motor or the read/write head?

Sometimes the head crashes and boot sector is affected, causing blue screen. you are still able to recover the data if you are lucky by connecting it to a workstation through USB. tilt it at an angle or even let it sits vertical. sometimes read/write operation will resume this way. your workstation will recognize it as a slave drive and you can transfer your data to your workstation. my laptop crashed twice and I managed to recover my data this way.

If it is the motor or head that fails, basically there is nothing much that you can do. i am wondering how much the professional are able to do in this case.

Good luck.

Try to see if you can use Norton Ghost force mode to clone the HDD. If you can clone it, some of the files most likely intact. If you can't even force close it, most likely the read/write head of the HDD had crash with the media with the loud noise you heard. If this is the case, no engineer will be able to help you to recover the HDD. Changing anything mechanical inside the HDA, is as good as all data gone.

It failes to boot up, showing blue screen or it does not respond at all? Is the loud sound coming from the spinning motor or the read/write head?

Sometimes the head crashes and boot sector is affected, causing blue screen. you are still able to recover the data if you are lucky by connecting it to a workstation through USB. tilt it at an angle or even let it sits vertical. sometimes read/write operation will resume this way. your workstation will recognize it as a slave drive and you can transfer your data to your workstation. my laptop crashed twice and I managed to recover my data this way.

If it is the motor or head that fails, basically there is nothing much that you can do. i am wondering how much the professional are able to do in this case.

Good luck.

I think in this TS case, it is referring to an external HDD.

cheerio.

Price is reasonable (I have seen 4 figures been quoted before) but I don't think the professional can guarantee that the files are recoverable. If the disk platter is damaged, then some or all of your files may not be recoverable.

Sound is coming from motor. Have been using this HDD as external drive so there is no OS on it. Will try the methods mentioned here. If can work, will post method.

Yah :b Mine picture was diagnose with head damage by Data Savers. Went to their website at www.datasavers.com.sg and found them ok lor. Went with their quote at $720, better than paying 1k+ at green energy...

Its better to pay the professionals. since its like terminal stage cancer already...

Well, I have one 2.5"HDD waiting to be recovered (if can)... what happened?

The 2.5"HDD was connected to my notebook via USB and I was tranferring files to it.... suddenly, the transfer seems to 'hang'..... cannot do anything... so I did a reboot on my notebook. When I checked using explorer, somehow the 2.5"HDD dissapeared!! Cannot be detected. There's no sound ot anything.... just NO SOUND - NO DETECT.

What's inside? Hmmm... 3 weeks' worth of pix (raw+jpeg) taken in Copenhagen!! (had some in my notebook... but the rest...)

Anyone can assist what I should do? Have not tried anything yet.

i too haf a prob with my photos on a portable hdd:

when i plug it in, it shows up on "My Computer" but when i double click the drive, it says "Hard disk corrupt and unreadable"

any1 knows how to help?

Well, I have one 2.5"HDD waiting to be recovered (if can)... what happened?

The 2.5"HDD was connected to my notebook via USB and I was tranferring files to it.... suddenly, the transfer seems to 'hang'..... cannot do anything... so I did a reboot on my notebook. When I checked using explorer, somehow the 2.5"HDD dissapeared!! Cannot be detected. There's no sound ot anything.... just NO SOUND - NO DETECT.

What's inside? Hmmm... 3 weeks' worth of pix (raw+jpeg) taken in Copenhagen!! (had some in my notebook... but the rest...)

Anyone can assist what I should do? Have not tried anything yet.

Transfer to ext hdd failed halfway, so information lost, and if you rebooted like what you described, then no data is transferred.

Did you do a copy or move?

Copy is safer as you still have your data in the original hdd.

Yah :b Mine picture was diagnose with head damage by Data Savers. Went to their website at www.datasavers.com.sg and found them ok lor. Went with their quote at $720, better than paying 1k+ at green energy...
Anyone ever tried Datasavers and your experience with it? The website testimonial look good and promising. My laptop harddisk just crash (jpeg photos, excel spreadsheets, word documents inside; last backup was about 1 month ago so lost 1 month of data :cry:)

I think the price quoted is reasonable.

DataSavers is ready bad, takes ages to handle their paperwork and logistic, 3 weeks after collecting my drive the guy told me the repair has not been started yet, OMG, talk about premium service and prices.

Very Strange. Could it be some staff transition / miscommunication issues that they are facing with? My experience with Data Savers is really good with fast response time. I search many forums from the net and found that their customer service and response time is great, that's why i brought my hard disk to them. My hard disk data recovery took 5 days and they had also informed me that some data recovery cases may take 3 - 4 weeks if they do not have the parts and if the hard disk data recovery requires some cloning work which takes a very long time. I recommended my friends there and all of them were really happy with the service provided.

DataSavers is ready bad, takes ages to handle their paperwork and logistic, 3 weeks after collecting my drive the guy told me the repair has not been started yet, OMG, talk about premium service and prices.

Status
Not open for further replies.