How to record a good sound?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LENS

Apr 8, 2005
Hello guys,

I am planning a trip to a rain forest, and it is said at night, the sounds in the forest can be real wonderful, like nature symphonic.
Anyone has tried to record sound in good quality equipment?
I would like to learn from you, like what i need to record a very good quality sound? i am thinking if i record it and play it in a good sound systems, that may be a very rewarding experience.

well, what i normally know is some kind of foams or mop like stuff is putting over microphone, to prevent the wind sound to be recorded. Well, just give me any opinion, and if you know what equipment to get then let's me know the model..

Thank you.

i will use my trusted DPA 4011.

will prolly bring a Powerbook with my & some outboard gear prolly from Digidesign or Maudio.

markccm said:
i will use my trusted DPA 4011.

will prolly bring a Powerbook with my & some outboard gear prolly from Digidesign or Maudio.

Well markccm, what is DPA 4011? I have zero knowledge to capture sound. What normally those production crew use to record sound? record in a digital form? or in tape?

A good mic on a MiniDV camera will capture quite good sound, not to mention some video to go... :)

Hello LENS,
I'm not a guru when it comes to audio. But I'm just sharing with you some of my previous experiences.

Sound gear is equally expensive as photography gear.

Presume the rain forest you are going to is the Amazon forest, then perhaps you may wanna consider renting audio equipment. I foresee you may need a DAT player and maybe even an audio mixer.

I cannot give any recommendations on what microphones to use because I'm not a sound-person, but using a supercardioid mic will be appropriate because these mics can pick up sounds distant away from the front of the mic.

A good headphone will be useful also.

And yes, lots of batteries, DAT tapes and maybe even cables, if you are really looking into quality. Last time I bought a DAT tape was 3 years ago, which costs around $12 for a 60min tape. If you are planning to bring an audio mixer, if I'm not mistaken, they use 9V batteries, and they 'consume' batteries like nobody's business.

I have lost in touch with audio equipment for almost 2 years already but friends in the recording industry tells me that wireless mics don't record good sound.

Just my two cents worth.

Cheers,
-Midge-

mich_2103 said:
but using a supercardioid mic will be appropriate because these mics can pick up sounds distant away from the front of the mic.

sorry, this info is wrong.

a supercordioid mic does not pick up sound from a further distance.

its a shotgun mic that will.

LENS said:
Well markccm, what is DPA 4011? I have zero knowledge to capture sound. What normally those production crew use to record sound? record in a digital form? or in tape?

DPA 4011 is one of the workhorse mics of the industry.

tape as in DAT.

i will go digital, prolly a sampling rate of 96kHz 24bit resolution wave format.

dun forget good preamps for your mics too.

yowch said:
A good mic on a MiniDV camera will capture quite good sound, not to mention some video to go... :)

I have a miniDV videocam, but is that quality good enough?
Ever listen to a good dvd sound? you will feel like you are in that environment..

Well, anyone have done something like these, to 'collect' sounds in places?

LENS said:
I have a miniDV videocam, but is that quality good enough?
Ever listen to a good dvd sound? you will feel like you are in that environment..

DVD quality sound is defined by the tech specs of 96kHz 24bits.

u dun get surround sound from just that.
u need specific software to do it & u need to note phase cancellation.

imho, the mic from a miniDV cam is ok just to capture the sound.

in fact if u wanna capture environment, u need a parabolic setup with adaptive array mics.

LENS said:
Well, anyone have done something like these, to 'collect' sounds in places?

PM me if u going some interesting places!;p

The quality of the recorded format on a MiniDV cam is quite good, quite hard to beat with most home set-up. It is normally the mic that needs to be good. If you mic's dynamic range is not enough (like a camera huh?!), the lows will not be recorded, and the highs will be cut. Also the range of sensitivity, like where is the loudest and softest that it can record. Lastly, you may need a MiniDV cam with manual audio recording to adjust such that you can control the amount of noise/ambient. With all this in place, you may even want to set-up a second recorder to capture a softer or louder range, and use post processing to improve the captured dynamic of the sound (like using two photos of different exposures to preserve highlights and show the shadow details).

But please remember that I am NOT an audio-phile or audio-hobbyist, merely recording home videos, some freelance weddings and events, and some interviews. My technical knowledge is quite limited.

u really want good sound with a decently priced kit?

get a sennheiser condenser, those long long ones. forgot the model, im outta touch already.

dont get those normal Shure SM58 or Beta 58A series. those are not meant to pickup sounds.

use the sennheiser mic and plug to a notebook with external sound blaster. :) you're ready to go. use two mics for stereo. :bsmilie:

each mic costs around $800 per mic. :)

Sennheiser condensers depends on wat series.

Shure Beta 58A or 58 are dynamic mics.
not idea for ambient mic-ing.

u generally need condensers.

for rainforest kinds of stuff, u need parabolic mics.
Check out DPA.
$800 also not enough.

need a few grand.
the DPA 4011 never failed me in my studio work :thumbsup:

Well, got lots of interesting notes from all of you. Seem like there isn't a simple, affordable and good enough quality set up? like...50mm f/1.8 Lense in photographic term, good for starter, ha.

I think a good recorded sound could be a very memorable experience. Play the sound and look again the photo you took.. that's cool.

yah sound i would say is technically more complex than photography. (i may get flamed here) haha.

i do sound for church occasionally. u need to have a good ear to know which channel to raise and which to lower, how much gain to put. u need to know ur eqpt(photog also la), and how best to postion ur condensers. need to know what wire goes where. some soundmen liek myself also do their own soldering when wires need repairing etc.

and the technology is O_O. photog only has a few main players. sound there are...........alot alot alot alot alot.

if u realy want cheap, get a behringer condenser mic. u need to use 9V batt as u dont have phantom power from ur notebook. :)

sennheiser is not cheap. bought the middle range ones for my church alr around $800 per mic.

Isaiahfortythirtyone said:
each mic costs around $800 per mic. :)

I was really avoiding this issue of money... heheheh, a miniDV cam to capture the sound is only $900, an old laptop capable enough to do the job also about $900.

It's like using F50 body, and good but affordable film (say velvia or Provia or NPS, NPS), but 17-35mm f2.8 lens at $2000+++. :)

No, most people are more sensitive to sound than pictures or movies. It is quite OK to spend more on equipment for sound than photos or videos.

yowch said:
I was really avoiding this issue of money... heheheh, a miniDV cam to capture the sound is only $900, an old laptop capable enough to do the job also about $900.

It's like using F50 body, and good but affordable film (say velvia or Provia or NPS, NPS), but 17-35mm f2.8 lens at $2000+++. :)

Well, what laptop can do in sound recording? do you mean there is some kind of mic can just plug to note book and start to record the sound?

LENS said:
Well, what laptop can do in sound recording? do you mean there is some kind of mic can just plug to note book and start to record the sound?

i think u can. use a sennheiser condenser, connect to a XLR cable. the other end, u must change the connector to a 1/8 inch connector to connect to notebook. must put 9V batt into the mic to power it. should work. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.