How to recompose using remote shutter release

netuse38

Jun 10, 2010
It is simple to recompose without remote shutter release. Eg, if I want to take a photo for my wife at a scene, all I have to do is to half press the shutter locking the focus and exposure, then turn the camera slightly to recompose such that she will not be in the centre of the frame. Bingo.

However, if I want to take a photo TOGETHER with my wife using remote shutter release - ie, camera on a tripod and I trigger the shutter using a remote control release (eg, Phottix Cleon), how can I lock focus and exposure involving a recompose?

Should I do it like this:

1. First, I focus the camera (on a tripod) at my wife half press the shutter to obtain the focus and exposure.
2. Next, press the AE lock to lock the exposure.
3. Turn the camera to recompose, reframe.
4. Run myself to stand next to my wife.
5. press the remote shutter release button.

But the above have the following drawbacks:

1. The AE lock will function only for a limited time (few seconds). If I don't press the shutter release remote botton within this few second, then the camera will re-meter using the recomposed frame.

2. I could only lock AE but cannot lock focus. When I press the remote shutter release, the camera will auto focus with the recomposed frame which is not the focus I want (ie, focus should be on me and my wife).

How to overcome this AE/AF lock while using the remote shutter release with recomposing?

I think one of the ways is to reassign the AE lock button such that it does both AE/AF lock at the same time. Is there a better way to deal with this?

By the way, I'm referring to the use of a Canon EOS550D.

Cheers!

#1 use manual so ur metering and etc r fixed
#2 after you focused and before you get into the frame, set it to MF on your lens. this way, when u trigger the cam wirelessly, it will not do a re-focus

i'm not sure if it works but you can put the shooting mode to timer.. so that you can recompose and then just press the shutter... then you will still have time to run into the frame to stand next to your wife...

just be careful not to trip over the tripod.. or there goes your 550...

erhmmm....... how about just moving 6 inches to the left or right after you release the shutter (w/timer turned on) ?

Last edited:
#1 use manual so ur metering and etc r fixed
#2 after you focused and before you get into the frame, set it to MF on your lens. this way, when u trigger the cam wirelessly, it will not do a re-focus

Manual focus seems workable....have to check how long the AE lock last. If the metered AE lock last say, 20-30 second, then this method works. If it only locks for say 10 second or less, then it'll be a bit of rush...

i'm not sure if it works but you can put the shooting mode to timer.. so that you can recompose and then just press the shutter... then you will still have time to run into the frame to stand next to your wife...

just be careful not to trip over the tripod.. or there goes your 550...

Timer mode is also workable (think for 550D we can set the duration of the timer), but then,...always feel weird and unnatural standing in front of a camera and get myself tense up (just me..:bsmilie:) holding breath, holding brink, posting as fast one could and waiting for the shutter will release. Nothing beats a remote release here. Taking one's sweet time, then press the remote button when feel natural to do so, right?:)

erhmmm....... how about just moving 6 inches to the left or right after you release the shutter (w/timer turned on) ?

Sorry, don't quite get what you mean...:confused:

using manual exposure mode and switch to manual focus is the way to go if you want lock everything down.

using manual exposure mode is not that hard, you can follow the camera meter reading recommendation, if you are using auto exposure mode, you also need to cover up the viewfinder to prevent inaccurate meter reading.
once focusing is confirm, switch to manual focus and trigger the self timer.

Sorry, don't quite get what you mean...:confused:

since you are taking photos of both you, just ask your wife to move aside a little to give room to you after trigger the shutter in self timer mode.

using manual exposure mode and switch to manual focus is the way to go if you want lock everything down.

using manual exposure mode is not that hard, you can follow the camera meter reading recommendation, if you are using auto exposure mode, you also need to cover up the viewfinder to prevent inaccurate meter reading.
once focusing is confirm, switch to manual focus and trigger the self timer.

That seems to be a good way. Read the metering, then switch from Av (ie, aparture priority) to M (ie, Manual). Input the same aparture and shutter speed obtained from Av to M, then the exposure is locked. This is better than using AE lock cause it gives a lot more time. Then after focus, switch from AF to MF on the lens and lock the focus and then turn the camera a little bit to recompose. Now I have a whole world of time to do whatever I have to before pressing the remote shutter release!:thumbsup:

since you are taking photos of both you, just ask your wife to move aside a little to give room to you after trigger the shutter in self timer mode.

Now I get it;p

Thanks for all the input!:)

You can also select a different AF point instead of recompose.

You can also select a different AF point instead of recompose.

That's also possible though I don't know why I have better faith with the centre focus point;p, and hence I still prefer a "lock with centre focus point and recompose" rather than using another focus point...but that's just me. Think about it, if I use the eyes as the focus, then I'll still probably have to focus and recompose even if I use another focus point unless that other focus point I use fall dead on to the eye, right? Just that the recompose involve a minor degree of physical camera shift.

That's also possible though I don't know why I have better faith with the centre focus point;p, and hence I still prefer a "lock with centre focus point and recompose" rather than using another focus point...but that's just me. Think about it, if I use the eyes as the focus, then I'll still probably have to focus and recompose even if I use another focus point unless that other focus point I use fall dead on to the eye, right? Just that the recompose involve a minor degree of physical camera shift.

When you focus the eye and recompose, the eye will not be in perfect focus. The focus plane is parallel to the sensor. By focusing with centre AF and recomposing, the eye will now be in front of the focus plane.

When you focus the eye and recompose, the eye will not be in perfect focus. The focus plane is parallel to the sensor. By focusing with centre AF and recomposing, the eye will now be in front of the focus plane.

Very true. I've yet to test out the reliability of other focus points. If they work fine, then what you suggest is definitely good because using other focus points (ie, the nearer to the eyes focus point) to focus will necessiate less degress of camera movement for recompose, and which is particular helpful in maintain the tolerance (during recompose) esp at a wider aparture:thumbsup: