How to read if a video camcorder lens is wide or tele?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TsQ

Jan 27, 2002
River Valley
Visit site
one problem I had with my HD700 camcorder is the lens records a rather narrow area (ie the lens is quite 'tele')

I do not want my replacement model to have same issue, but the model I keen on is another newer xacti which I might not be able to gets a 'hands on' in S'pore since this model in mind is not widely available here.

This is the lens spec for the old HD700 i having:
6.3 – 31.7 mm (38 - 190 mm on a 35 mm camera), 5x optical zoom lens, Open f/3.5 (W) – 4.7 (T)

This is the lens spec for the newer model i considering:
30x optical zoom lens; Aperture: F=1.8(W) – 4.3(T)
Focus distance: f=2.5 to 75.0mm;
Photos: f=43-1290mm(=35mm) Optical 30x zoom
Videos: f=43-1290mm(=35mm) Optical 30x zoom

How to tell the lens coverage at the most "wide" mode?

Thks in adv..

Last edited:
The specs are given, you just need to read. The values for 35mm give a very clear indication. 43mm is not as wide as 38mm (35mm equivalent).

thats the problem, i don't know how to read the spec..

isn't this the newbie corner??

Wikipedia helps: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/35_mm_equivalent_focal_length
The 35 mm effective focal length of a particular lens-sensor combination is the focal length that one would need for a 35 mm film camera to obtain the same angle of view.
Which means: the 35 equivalent values is the only way to compare lenses and sensors of different systems as your video camera or Point and Shoot cameras.
On 35mm film a lens with 50mm is considered a "normal lens" - the image reflects roughly what you see with naked eye. Everything smaller than 50mm is wide angle - you'll see a wider angle / wider field of view than normal, the objects appears to be further away. Everything above 50mm is telephoto - the field ob view is smaller, the objects appear to come closer.
Angle of View: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Angle_of_view (scroll down for some example images)
Hope that helps :)

Status
Not open for further replies.