How to read aperture

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shah

Sep 5, 2005
Singapore, Singapore
Hi guys..i lost my camera manual(many years ago)..

Now i have a problem readin aperture..

My camera is a digital ixus v2...very old..i noe...

We were discussing online how we took our pics during an event which we unofficially covered jus now...

He was telling me he used aperture f3.2 with ISO64 under the hot sun....he said f3.2 is damn fast..1/100 - 1/300 sec shutter

so jus now i set my aperture at 3"2 and what i got was more like a 3second shutter speed...

how come?..the lowest i can go is 1"..so i presumed its 1 second shutter...

So..the question is, is his f3.2 faster then my 1"..what should it read for the aperture to be at 3seconds?..like f wad?

i`ve been reading up alot...but still confused..

thanx in advance...

Shah said:
Hi guys..i lost my camera manual(many years ago)..

Now i have a problem readin aperture..

My camera is a digital ixus v2...very old..i noe...

We were discussing online how we took our pics during an event which we unofficially covered jus now...

He was telling me he used aperture f3.2 with ISO64 under the hot sun....he said f3.2 is damn fast..1/100 - 1/300 sec shutter

so jus now i set my aperture at 3"2 and what i got was more like a 3second shutter speed...

how come?..the lowest i can go is 1"..so i presumed its 1 second shutter...

So..the question is, is his f3.2 faster then my 1"..what should it read for the aperture to be at 3seconds?..like f wad?

i`ve been reading up alot...but still confused..

thanx in advance...

Ok i'm speaking from a Canon system perspective.

3" means 3 seconds. The shutter speeds and aperture really depends on lighting conditions and what subject you are focusing or metering on. For example a f/3.2 allows more light to enter to the sensor since its opening is larger, vice versa for a smaller aperture like f/8.

Also, the ISO helps to determine shutter speeds. If yr fren's f/3.2 is faster, it's true ONLY in bright conditions and not under low lighting.

At 3 seconds, if u put in Tv mode, also depends on lighting conditions and what you're metering on.

oh okie...so u trying to say my 3"2 and his f3.2 is the same except that his lighting condition is brighter?

but then u say f3.2 allows more light to enter the sensor....but i tot light control is determined by the ISO?..aperture determines the shutter speed at how fast its open and closed rite?

Sorry bro..reallie confused..haha..

Shah said:
oh okie...so u trying to say my 3"2 and his f3.2 is the same except that his lighting condition is brighter?

but then u say f3.2 allows more light to enter the sensor....but i tot light control is determined by the ISO?..aperture determines the shutter speed at how fast its open and closed rite?

Sorry bro..reallie confused..haha..

Nono....f3.2 and 3"2 (3.2 seconds) is totally different. One is aperture and the other's shutter speed.

Light control is not only determined by ISO. ISO helps in controlling how fast light takes in order to form an image on the sensor, the higher the ISO, the faster it is BUT do take note that the higher the ISO, more 'noise' (or picture graininess) will be introduced. The larger the aperture (f/3.2 in your case) allows more light into the sensor, thus increasing shutter speeds too and also controls your depth-of-field.

Snoweagle said:
Nono....f3.2 and 3"2 (3.2 seconds) is totally different. One is aperture and the other's shutter speed.

Light control is not only determined by ISO. ISO helps in controlling how fast light takes in order to form an image on the sensor, the higher the ISO, the faster it is BUT do take note that the higher the ISO, more 'noise' (or picture graininess) will be introduced. The larger the aperture (f/3.2 in your case) allows more light into the sensor, thus increasing shutter speeds too and also controls your depth-of-field.

oooooohh...okok...all this while i tot aperture is shutter speed...haha..kk..thanx bro for explaining...
regretted losing the damn manual...time to get a new camera soon too....

Shah said:
oooooohh...okok...all this while i tot aperture is shutter speed...haha..kk..thanx bro for explaining...
regretted losing the damn manual...time to get a new camera soon too....

No probs bro, always a pleasure to help! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.